[ABD] User Registration by Admin

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
WelcomB

[ABD] User Registration by Admin

Post by WelcomB »

Administrators can now register new users through the admin control panel using only a username and email. No other complicated configuration is needed. Suitable for admins who just want to add users without the hassle of configurations and stuff.

Code: Select all

##############################################################
## MOD Title:          Simple Admin Register User
## MOD Author:         WelcomB < welcomb@hotmail.com > ( )
## MOD Description:    Admin can now create a new user, through the admin control
##                     giving only a user name and email. Password will be randomly
##                     generated and emailed to the given address.
## MOD Version:        0.9.2b
## Compatibility:      2.0.x
##
## Installation Level: Easy
## Installation Time:  1 Minutes
## Files To Edit:      0
##
## Included Files:     4
##                     admin_register.php
##                     lang_admin_register.php
##                     admin_register.tpl
##                     admin_welcome_user.tpl
##
## For Security Purposes, Please Check: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/ for the
## latest version of this MOD. Downloading this MOD from other sites could cause malicious code
## to enter into your phpBB Forum. As such, phpBB will not offer support for MOD's not offered
## in our MOD-Database, located at: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/
## Author Notes:
##
##  I know Niels has created a similar mod to this but his mods has several functions lacking
##  which is why I wrote this. This mod installs without any modification of any files. :)
##
##  Features:
##   - Requires no configuration by the admin.
##   - "Drop and go" mod requires minimal effort to install
##   - Only requires admin to supply a user name and email of the new user.
##   - Password is generated randomly so when creating multiple users, each will have a different password
##   - Password and/or activation key is emailed to the new user.
##   - Compatiable with EasyMOD
##
## MOD History:
##
##   0.9.2b - Fixed a bug in emailing the activation code. Now validates username like in normal registration.
##
##   0.9.1b - As requested, added in an optional field for password, and options to email the user or
##            require activation.
##
##   0.9.0b - Initial release
##
##
## Before Adding This MOD To Your Forum, You Should Back Up All Files Related To This MOD

#
#-----[ COPY ]------------------------------------------
admin_register.php to admin/admin_register.php
lang_admin_register.php to language/lang_english/lang_admin_register.php
admin_register.tpl to templates/subsilver/admin/admin_register.tpl
admin_welcome_user.tpl to language/lang_english/email/admin_welcome_user.tpl

# EoM
Download the package here
Last edited by WelcomB on Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my mod: Pop-up Announcement
I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!!!
morpheus2matrix
Former Team Member

Post by morpheus2matrix »

Looks the same as this one but great !
Former phpBB MOD-Team Member -

Forgive my bad English :(

No support by PM/Email - Thanks - You can thanks me here :) - Pay me for installing MOD's :lol:
WelcomB

Post by WelcomB »

Yup my mod was actually inspired by Niels' Admin Add Users mod. I actually wanted to use that but I found it a hassle to declare a standard user template and was uncomfortable with having a "standard" password for all new registrants.

Also my mod emails the new users with an activation code if that's required in the board's config. I'm not sure if Niels' mod does that cos I haven't tried it. If you notice some code which looks similar, it's cos I did refer to Niels code here and there but since what I'm trying to achieve is a very simple and basic interface, there's much of Niels' code which I couldn't use too.

I'm not sure how much of my code is from Niels' but if there's a need to credit Niels do let me know how it should be placed.
I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!!!
Rookie7

Post by Rookie7 »

Can you add an option so we can choose whether to send the password or to let admin specify the password instead? Also, can you add an option so we can choose to send email or not?

Thanks.
WelcomB

Post by WelcomB »

Added as requested.
Rookie7

Post by Rookie7 »

Thanks for adding the requested features. Works great! This mod is awesome since it doesn't require any editting. Great work WelcomB!
honest

questions

Post by honest »

does this mod check with the ban list for banned email addresses, and banned usernames?
WelcomB

Post by WelcomB »

Edited to use phpbb's username and email validation.
Also fixed a small bug.
honest

thanks

Post by honest »

umm...one other modification, but can you add an option to the forum so that only admin can register users(General Configuration in the administration)
WelcomB

Post by WelcomB »

As this mod is accessed thru the ACP, I assume that only admins have access to it.
If you want to stop normal registrations, take a look at this mod http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=72818
Zypher

Post by Zypher »

Nice mod! Just the mod I need!
- Zypher

~Beware of the Darkness Within!~

Fully Loaded
yonatan_ca

Post by yonatan_ca »

can you add a "add to gruop" with list of groups
or dont add to a gruop
sorry my english is not so good!!

i translated it to hebrew!!
do you want me to send it to you!?!?
if you do contact me on
yonatan@iddr.co.il
yonatan_ca

Post by yonatan_ca »

help
WelcomB

Post by WelcomB »

Sorry for the late reply as I do not check these forums as often as I used to. Form what I gather you just want an option to add the new user into a group or groups?

Do you need it urgently as I am busy with projects atm.
btw, you can just link your hebrew translation here.
MedMan

Email double spaced

Post by MedMan »

A brilliant MOD - just what I needed - and it works so smoothly. Just one problem that I cannot solve - the email sent to new users is double spaced. I have actually added quite a lot to the email, which was very easy to do by editing 'admin_welcome_user.tpl', but no matter how I save it, it comes out double spaced. Everything looks perfect in Notepad but the email just looks silly. Could there be a problem in one of the other files where the email format is defined?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”