[ABD] Bot Indexing MOD v1.1.1

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Bard

Post by Bard »

I installed this mod late last year. I have looked at admin_bots.php and saw no info.

Is there any way to tell what version I have so I can see what changes have been made to the mod since. I was wondering about upgrading to the latest.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Old Time Radio Talk | Visit OTR Talk Town
4n6guy

Is this normal?

Post by 4n6guy »

Question 1: Is it normal to be visited by Googlebot so often (see below), yet NOT be listed in Google? I am listed #2 on Yahoo when searching for my exact keywords, but absolutely nothing in Google... does that make sense?

(scroll past first screen for second question please)

Question 2: Is it normal to be visited by Inktomi from so many different IPs? This does not seem to be the same issue as was mentioned a few messages ago regarding people's browsers right? The IPs are much too close for that IMO.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
minstrel

Post by minstrel »

1. type in site:www.yoursite.com into the Google.com search box to find out which of your pages are indexed -- just because you don't rank well doesn't mean you're not indexed. On the other hand, if you don't see anything using that site: command and your site is more than a couple of months old, you may have a problem -- i.e., it may mean that Googlebot is visiting but being blocked by something, as I discovered after I applied this MOD

2. all the major search engines run bots from several IP ranges, so yes... that's probably normal for Inktomi
Latinus

Post by Latinus »

I've just add this MOD on my forum (after a short test on a "devel" one) ; it's a great job, all is working fine.

Thanks for that.
Lat.
4n6guy

Post by 4n6guy »

minstrel wrote: 1. type in site:www.yoursite.com into the Google.com search box to find out which of your pages are indexed -- just because you don't rank well doesn't mean you're not indexed. On the other hand, if you don't see anything using that site: command and your site is more than a couple of months old, you may have a problem -- i.e., it may mean that Googlebot is visiting but being blocked by something, as I discovered after I applied this MOD

2. all the major search engines run bots from several IP ranges, so yes... that's probably normal for Inktomi

On the first one, I guess I need to give it a little more time for the ranking. I have verified that I am indexed using "site:", but it only shows my index page, not the 100+ it has visited.

I am a little concerned over the comment regarding the blocking of googlebot after applying this mod. I would think that I have not been blocking anything since I get visited so many times and I have seen the number of pages at over 100.

On the second, thanks - I have added all the IPs.
minstrel

Post by minstrel »

4n6guy wrote: I am a little concerned over the comment regarding the blocking of googlebot after applying this mod. I would think that I have not been blocking anything since I get visited so many times and I have seen the number of pages at over 100.

Googlebot was visiting me, too, daily -- but it was getting the error message rather than the real page content. This was an established site with in the vicinity of 1500 pages or more in the index and I was alerted to the error when pages started showing up in Google with the error message as the snippet in the search engine listings.
4n6guy

Just add googlebot to the Memberlist?

Post by 4n6guy »

Has anyone looked at the memberlist here on the phpbb forum? The very first user listed is "googlebot."

Is there a strategy to this usage? Would adding this as a user actually mean that you wouldn't install this mod?
getout

Post by getout »

i have recently installed this mod but i m getting a problem....i login to my forum but when i goto some posts or ACP, i m logged out. i have to login for every thing to do in forum. i m not able to post due to this. strange thing is that my users r not having this problem only admin is affected.

ANy suggestions???
4n6guy

Post by 4n6guy »

There is some discussion of this earlier in this thread or another... If my memory serves me correctly, you need to go into configuration and make certain that your setting for "cookie domain" is correctly entered.

That is, it should read: ".yourdomain.com" <<-- NOTICE the leading "."

Then, toss out your cookies, restart your browser and have at it...

Hope this helps (although it may be off topic)
minstrel

Post by minstrel »

I hate it when you have to toss your cookies... 8O
Latinus

Post by Latinus »

minstrel wrote: I hate it when you have to toss your cookies... 8O

So, remove only the forum's cookie :!:
There's no need to toss all.
4n6guy

Post by 4n6guy »

Latinus wrote: So, remove only the forum's cookie :!:

That should do it... :)
ridinhighspeeds

Re: Just add googlebot to the Memberlist?

Post by ridinhighspeeds »

4n6guy wrote: Has anyone looked at the memberlist here on the phpbb forum? The very first user listed is "googlebot."

Is there a strategy to this usage? Would adding this as a user actually mean that you wouldn't install this mod?

wow I didn't notice that. Anybody have feedback on this?
minstrel

Post by minstrel »

Latinus wrote:
minstrel wrote:I hate it when you have to toss your cookies...

So, remove only the forum's cookie

Sorry. That was a pun.

North American slang term: To "toss your cookies" means to vomit, throw up.
Latinus

Post by Latinus »

minstrel wrote:
Latinus wrote:
minstrel wrote:I hate it when you have to toss your cookies...

So, remove only the forum's cookie

Sorry. That was a pun.

North American slang term: To "toss your cookies" means to vomit, throw up.

ho... I see :o
Thx for the explanation.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”