[DISC] Activity Mod Plus (Newest Release: v1.1.0)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
megablastadmin
Registered User
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:53 am
Contact:

Post by megablastadmin »

Glad! I was able to provide a little help

Thanks
User avatar
majestique
Registered User
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:04 pm
Contact:

Post by majestique »

Some of the games like simpson, bookworm - and the like - i would imagine require legal agreements w/ the author for us to publish the games on our site.. are all these games legal? if so where can i find the documents to show that i've obtained these games legally? i've downloaded game packages at popular sites and i just want to make sure i'm not breaking any laws.... thanks for your time guys!
User avatar
aUsTiN-Inc
Registered User
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Post by aUsTiN-Inc »

We contact game authors, as well as whoo contacts them. If they are asked to be removed by the author, we remove them & send am email to all our members notifying them of the game removal request.
¤ phpBB Security ¤ Blend Portal Creator ¤
¤ Activity Mod Plus Creator «« 2004 phpBBHacks "Hack" Of The Year ¤
¤ Activity Mod Plus Home ¤ 2004 phpBBHacks "Hack" Author Of The Year ¤
My mods are never done, always in update status!
fast-trak.net
Registered User
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:34 am

Post by fast-trak.net »

aUsTiN-Inc wrote: Ensure the install.txt was followed to a T, specifically the modifications to functions.php etc..


Thanks aUsTiN I seem to have them working now, though only problem I have is that the trophies are the wrong way round, so the gold one is for second place and the silver has the top score.

Where abouts is the code for this?
_Haplo
Registered User
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: [DEV / BETA] Activity Mod Plus (Newest Release: v1.0.8)

Post by _Haplo »

aUsTiN-Inc wrote: Since this was released under the GPL
Napoleon wrote: ***************************************************************************
*
* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
* the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
* (at your option) any later version.
*
***************************************************************************


I am going to make this topic to reflect on everything i have currently done to this mod & everything that i will add to it. ALL of Napoleons copyrights will stay intact as he is the original author & made the core for everything i have done to this point.


so how come you're not coding under GPL...?
...as far as i know all phpbb mods announced here should be...

reason i post is austin's threating with "actions" since mx-portal ported his mod for mx users...

http://phpbb-amod.com/viewtopic.php?p=3633#3633
Haplo wrote: kind of sad users try and code non-GPL within a GPL community...where everyone's supposed to help each other out... :cry:

especially in this case since "your" mod is based on GPL code idea/origin where probably hundreds of volunteers helped out debug/develope the core mod...

AND you're announcing the mod (and getting traffic to your site) via phpbb.com...thus you should be an open-source coder in spirit...or else leave...

AND I have informed you of the port months back...also listing tons of bugs i fixed for that early beta

AND I do use an early mod version (not very altered from Napoleon's GPL mod) since most new features do not make sense...some were even removed during our port...

AND the code is rewritten for MX...cleaning up the templates and making the nav more logical

so what's "yours" about our module? ...be glad we give you credit in the footer ;)

P.S. I'm not trying to start a "war" here but i really think you should reconsider this "MY CODE" attitude as long as you code for phpbb based systems...

/Jon


at least you should inform users you're not GPL and stop false marketing

i'm sure many mod users would use alternative code if they knew you're not sharing...
www.mx-publisher.com - modular CMS for phpBB
News: MXP 3.0.x released!
User avatar
the-snake
Registered User
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:41 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by the-snake »

HI!

Hmmmmm this is a GPL breach in my oppinion

the gpl states (snippet) GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

0. This License applies to any program or other work which contains
a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed
under the terms of this General Public License. The "Program", below,
refers to any such program or work, and a "work based on the Program"
means either the Program or any derivative work under copyright law:
that is to say, a work containing the Program or a portion of it,
either verbatim or with modifications and/or translated into another
language. (Hereinafter, translation is included without limitation in
the term "modification".) Each licensee is addressed as "you".


Any program running under anything written in gpl is by mean gpl even if not stated so. ie the mod uses $templates released as gpl then the project is to be used as gpl. So if u pot any gpl copy notice or not is no big deal as the code rely on gpl developed code.

If u like to have it licensed to U and not public license u should really code it all yourself. Im no lawman but i think u would loose if it was an legal argue.
cryptoknight
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:02 pm

Post by cryptoknight »

And to think this all came about because I asked why a SWF file didn't work.

I figured the zip file for the funkoid game on the site was missing an includes or some add-on swf files (like other games have) and they were accidentally left out of the zip file...

The SWF shouldn't require anything from the mod in order to execute it's code... if it had problems posting to the highscores because of the mx module port I was using, then it would be a problem for me and Haplo (and co) to work out.

Real shame... take GPL code, make a few changes and decide it's not GPL anymore...

That's not how GPL works...
User avatar
aUsTiN-Inc
Registered User
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Post by aUsTiN-Inc »

Why is it released as it is, because until its finished, i dont want anyone changing it, why you ask, because of reasons such as lack of updating, especially in your case. You are using v1.0.3 & a rewrite of it at that. This mod is on a beta 1.0.8. You have half coded it from the looks of issues with it, but with any port that happens.

I told you plainly, if you wanted to use it thats fine, i will even help you port it for your system & keep it up to date. Those were the main issues. Neither of which you agreed to.

Why is it not released as public, for reasons such as Nuke taking it, destroying it & branding it as a nuke addon. Other CMS's that i would rather not have it. I have turned down no one thus far for using anything, modding it, nor porting it. Portedmods.com did the same thing, it was resolved quickly & easily. They agreed to keep the Advanced Username Color mod up to date & i didnt mind them using it.

As for changed a few codes? From the original mod, to this mod, there MIGHT be 50-100 lines of original code. That is through over 50 files (which the original came with what, 8?) So dont think you know what i have done to this mod. As a matter of fact i believe the only files that are even CLOSE to the original, is the flash_body2.tpl which i also rewrote for bug fixes.

His version was released under the GPL, i had his permission from the get go to remod this completely & take it over. If i choose at this moment not to release it to the public to modify & destroy, so be it. It is not a final release, it is not 110% perfect & stable. When it is, we will possibly lift the license as i will then be SURE there is always a stable, 110% release of this mod.

Another reason i dont want it modified yet, i CAN NOT troubleshoot ANYONES sites that use it as a port or modded version from the original. Nor can i troubleshoot a mod that is so far out of date its rediculous. You agreed yourself you understood why i reacted the way i did, same as you agreed you would not someone to take MX, remode it, delete a bunch of code they deem as un-needed & re-release it as their project or work.

There is absolutely NO NEED to delete ANY of the features in this mod. THEY ARE ALL ADJUSTABLE IN THE ACP TO USE THEM OR NOT. You have now taken my work to make it customizable board by board & made it a standard mod for every board.

Better explain why, how & when it might be a GPL mod now?
¤ phpBB Security ¤ Blend Portal Creator ¤
¤ Activity Mod Plus Creator «« 2004 phpBBHacks "Hack" Of The Year ¤
¤ Activity Mod Plus Home ¤ 2004 phpBBHacks "Hack" Author Of The Year ¤
My mods are never done, always in update status!
cryptoknight
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:02 pm

Post by cryptoknight »

It's still a mod for phpbb... ergo it's a mod of a GPL product as itself part of the GPL. In either case you began with a GPL product and modified it... you might not have much left of the original code, but that's where your modifications began... your stuff is GPL.... you're just denying it.
User avatar
the-snake
Registered User
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:41 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by the-snake »

aUsTiN-Inc wrote: Better explain why, how & when it might be a GPL mod now?


Hi!

Have u read the GPL license and what it say? Basicly if u include even one file released onder the gpl the code u wrote is to be released under GPL. And as far as i can see your code uses phpbb files for its functions.

Denying the fact that this is GPL is only silly and time consuming. I can understand the stand that u dont want anyone to modyfy it ...... but then again why did u release it in the first place.

It seems to be a popular mod so u should be proud not waving hands in the air and claming license rights...... If i had write this mod and ppl deside to use it and port it as long as they keep visual copyright i would be even more proud.

And mx do honor u in fact they have a visual copyright
http://www.mx-system.com/index.php?page=125

and the copyright say
Credits to Napoleon/aUsTiN-Inc ©2002 PHPBB.com MOD
This script (Activity Mod v. 0.9x BETA :: MX-Portal Module 2004) is modified by MX Team


So i even dont understand the argue the mod is GPL even if u dont like it and MX-team did honor u with copyright....
_Haplo
Registered User
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by _Haplo »

aUsTiN-Inc wrote: I told you plainly, if you wanted to use it thats fine, i will even help you port it for your system & keep it up to date. Those were the main issues. Neither of which you agreed to.


not really true...
we do not want latest features...and that's what p*ssing you off ;)
...all we want is a simple games module for the mx platform, no offense

but this "ok, you deal with the reprocusions" attitude of yours is unfortunate...
www.mx-publisher.com - modular CMS for phpBB
News: MXP 3.0.x released!
~ TwiSteD ~
Registered User
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:03 am
Location: here
Contact:

Post by ~ TwiSteD ~ »

Haplo..why don't you just drop it? you did a port of someones mod without their permission..weather its under the GPL or not, its a little disrespectful...would you like it if I modified your coding of the Knowledge base and then released it as my own? I would assume not.

If you feel thats its all a mis-understanding with the GNU/GPL Licensing, well, unfortunately, you're wrong. Yes, phpBB is released under the GPL, but MOD authors do have the right to have their own terms, like aUsTiN does, because, well, to be honest, after putting a ****load of work into one heavy-duty mMOD such as this, yeah, I would be ticked off too.

Just look at it from his point, ok?

Sorry Austin, had to put my 2 cents in :P
User avatar
the-snake
Registered User
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:41 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by the-snake »

~ TwiSteD ~ wrote: Haplo..why don't you just drop it? you did a port of someones mod without their permission..weather its under the GPL or not, its a little disrespectful...would you like it if I modified your coding of the Knowledge base and then released it as my own? I would assume not.

If you feel thats its all a mis-understanding with the GNU/GPL Licensing, well, unfortunately, you're wrong. Yes, phpBB is released under the GPL, but MOD authors do have the right to have their own terms, like aUsTiN does, because, well, to be honest, after putting a ****load of work into one heavy-duty mMOD such as this, yeah, I would be ticked off too.

Just look at it from his point, ok?

Sorry Austin, had to put my 2 cents in :P


Well GPL is what it is and i suggest reading it carefully i did.
What u say is not really true
i must say i spend loads of hours coding and released as GPL u can do whatever u like to the code but a good thing to honor the authour is to keep a copyright notice wich Haplo and mx team did. If we all should go around protectiing code then we all would have to compile code and not release the source.

The open source is for others to use as they like and they can even remove copyright but that is not a good tone. But u cant clame rights to it but that is a different thing.

This debate is sort of trying to kill the GPL foundation with a stab in the back. And the gpl tells what is right and what is wrong so go ahead and read it.

Im not trying to step on someones toes or start a war but this debate is wrong in spirit.
_Haplo
Registered User
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by _Haplo »

~ TwiSteD ~ wrote: Haplo..why don't you just drop it? :P


sure, i will

but thing is we DID inform him and also offered our first bugfixes and we got nada in respons...and we haven't "stolen" anything since we state clearly with link in footer it's a austin mod ported for mx users...

thats why im still debating this, since i do not understand his tone and manners in the first place...and i DO get upset when coders expect others to work GPL and later assume their work is somehow more valuable and shouldn't be GPL...such spirit is BAD BAD BAD imho and should be argued..

if i were him i would be proud mx use his mod giving him great credit and ads :roll:
www.mx-publisher.com - modular CMS for phpBB
News: MXP 3.0.x released!
User avatar
MHobbit
Former Team Member
Posts: 4761
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: There and Back Again

Post by MHobbit »

~ TwiSteD ~ wrote: you did a port of someones mod without their permission


He did ask for permission... whether an answer was returned or not I don't know...
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Locked

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”