[ABD] MS AGENT SPEAK v.0.1.1

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Killar

[ABD] MS AGENT SPEAK v.0.1.1

Post by Killar »

This is a new mod that takes adavantage of the Microsoft Agent's web compatibility.

Basically a user encloses text in [speak] and [speak] and instead of the text appearing, a link appears that says "Spoken Text". When a user clicks it a "Robot" appears out of the screen, actaully speaks it, and then goes away. It can be a nice touch to any forum.

The only things on my TODO list are to find the bugs and add support for the other three characters.

If your forum goer is not running Windows 98+ they will be prompted to download the needed files, and install them.

I think it is quite a fun mod, It's sure to get your users interested.

As an added bonus, since the Javascript functions are called in overall_footer.php, you can use this guy on any page of your forum by calling Speak('Your Text Here');

This is my first mod, so please give me as much (constructive :P ) critsizm as you can, I'm anxious to learn :mrgreen:

Download Link: http://www.gamingsanctum.com/users/kill ... bcode2.mod
Demo Board:http://www.gamingsanctum.com/users/kill ... /index.php
(My host is a little screwy, if you are unable to test the effect post it here)
Last edited by MHobbit on Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed the "illegal" topic prefix and changed the other one to [ABD].
Abax

Post by Abax »

DUDE!!!!! This is Awesome!!! Iam going to try and report bug. This is Great though :D.

Looks a little like http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

But they do differ with the bbcode option :D
Abax

Post by Abax »

Install is a breeze ;). But is there a way to make the agent stay for a little time for the user to read and then hide?

By the way, I think you have a bug here

Code: Select all

<OBJECT width=0 height=0
 CLASSID="CLSID:161FA781-A52C-11d0-8D7C-00A0C9034A7E"
 CODEBASE="#VERSION=4,0,0,0">
 id = MicrosoftSpeechRecognitionDownload>
</OBJECT>
Inserted '>' too early.

Other bbcode or smileys don't work there. Any plans for that?

Also, it messes up when we have sentences that contain the " ' " charachter (i.e I've benn better) gives you an error.

Nice MOD :D
Killar

Post by Killar »

Thanks, however, on the "" problem, I'm sure there is no way to fix it, as the command I use to call the Robot is enclosed it quotes (HREF="javascript:Speak(text)") so there is really nothing I can do BUT I just might include a script that removes them.

And I never actually thought about him hanging around, all I would have to do is remove one line of code :)

I might also include new parameters for added control, like for example:

[speak char=merlin animation=magic_1 newx=780 newy= 450 stay= 1][/speak]
[speaksub]MagicTrick()[/speaksub]

This for example, would load the character Merlin, show him, have him move to X:780 Y:450, play the animation magic_1, but not speak, he would then stay. Next the admin defined function MagicTrick() is called. You can create new Javascript functions in overall_footer.tpl between the script tags. An admin could create these at user requests. I could even create a user script creator with drop down actions :)

Also, since the commands are defined on every page I could have him say things on certain events like 'You have a PM'. Even on events like 'You have been banned' or 'Happy Birthday'.

I don't know, does it sound good to you?

Thanks for your comments, I will continue to work on this until it shines :mrgreen:

I've also fixed the bracket problem. Here
Killar

Post by Killar »

Version Update

V.1.1

Fixed Object Problem
Redid FAQ
Made it so the character stays.
Tweaked the animation
beggers

Post by beggers »

Killar wrote: Version Update

V.1.1

Fixed Object Problem
Redid FAQ
Made it so the character stays.
Tweaked the animation

I'm about to install this, but just to let you know, the mod still says version 1.0.0. Is that actually version 1.1? Thanks.
Smokeydogg

Post by Smokeydogg »

oh this is a good mod

i wanna get a thug type guy that comes up on the screen and says

Welcome to Skandalouz B*tchhhhhhhhhhh!!

how do you like change the guy that comes up any like rappers or something i can make come up?

and that be cool if he hanged around on the screen and you could like click a button and he would read a post for you or something lmao that be hot
beggers

Post by beggers »

My number one request would be the ability to change the name of the link (spoken message) to whatever the user wants. Because the link is always the same, some people think they will hear the same thing no matter which message they click on it. If you could add an option to define this text it would really be great.
Killar

Post by Killar »

Will do.

Yes, it is 1.1.0, I'm just kind of lazy :)
beggers

Post by beggers »

One other request -- is there any way to stop the robot icon from appearing in the system tray? People think it's some kind of virus.
Lucas1510

Post by Lucas1510 »

Hi,

did someone download this modification? If yes, could you please post a link where to download this? The links postet do not function any more :(

Lucas
testebr

Post by testebr »

Any work link for download?
vic2007

Re: [BBCODE][BETA]MS AGENT SPEAK v.0.1.1

Post by vic2007 »

cant download it from the website provided in first post.

has anyone got a copy of this mod ?
vic2007

Post by vic2007 »

I wonder why such threads, where the links dont work & the author doesnt respond for over a year, are not locked down ????

surely, its not rocket science for the forum moderators to figure out how much time the readers waste reading & exploring such useless threads where they can neither download the mods nor get any support from the author.

I am personally absolutely disgusted by the poor 'moderation'. If you need more people to volunteer to become moderators, then please say so but please maintain the quality standard that the readers have come to expect of this forum.

Vic
Wingzfan

Post by Wingzfan »

vic2007 wrote:I wonder why such threads, where the links dont work & the author doesnt respond for over a year, are not locked down ????

surely, its not rocket science for the forum moderators to figure out how much time the readers waste reading & exploring such useless threads where they can neither download the mods nor get any support from the author.

I am personally absolutely disgusted by the poor 'moderation'. If you need more people to volunteer to become moderators, then please say so but please maintain the quality standard that the readers have come to expect of this forum.

Vic
Theres thousand upon thousands of threads on here with thousands of links. You would have to continually check every link everyday to make sure someones site didnt go down. The only think you could do is have a "report dead link" button and even then it would be nonstop work. For a free forum and free tools I wouldnt be complaining.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”