[SUBMITTED] RegBan Registration Ban System (1.0.0)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Tenson

[SUBMITTED] RegBan Registration Ban System (1.0.0)

Post by Tenson »

This mod slightly extends your capabilities to IP ban a user. By the way phpBB handles IP banning, a user cannot enter the forum at all. However, this may not be appropriate for all bans you wish to do. For example, you may want to block certain users from registering from a specific IP address, but still want them to view the forum. This may be useful in cases such as where a user did something wrong that you don't want to happen again, but does not warrant blocking the user from viewing the forum. It also helps protect against public internet services, such as those you find at Starbucks, which many users can use to get around IP tracking. You can ban those IPs but still allow people to log into existing accounts. Thus, people cannot register at starbucks, but those who have already registered find no interruption in service.

Current Version: 1.0.0

Known Bugs:
  • None known
Features Coming in Future Versions:
  • Accepting IPv6 addresses
  • Accepting domain names
  • Allowing for wildcards
  • Blocking edited profiles optionally (each ban entry will have its own option to block or not to block editing profiles of already created accounts)
  • Blocking portions of editing profiles -- for example, for each user, or globally, block specified IPs from changing e-mail and passwords.
  • Allowing for custom ban messages for each user (for each IP entry, that is)
Past Bugs/Version History
  • Parse error caused by a typo in an AFTER, ADD directive fixed. (0.2.2)
  • Edit Profiles unblocked (1.0.0)
The archive is in ZIP format, to make it compatible for both linux and windows. Linux users can use either tar or unzip (both command line utilities) or the GUI Ark to extract the file. Windows XP users can use the built-in unzip program, and other windows users can use WinZip, which can be downloaded here, to extract the file.

You can download the package here

Please report any bugs you may find here; do note that this is still in the BETA stage. Also, feel free to ask for more features!
-- Tenson
Last edited by Tenson on Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:26 am, edited 8 times in total.

Shof515

Post by Shof515 »

i have no problems downloading it and the file seems to be fine,will be installing later
Whos missing up my sig?

Tenson

Post by Tenson »

Shof515 wrote: i have no problems downloading it and the file seems to be fine,will be installing later

Great. When you install it, be sure to check the version to verify that it's version 0.2.1 and let me know whether it is or not? I don't know what I did but my archive program just doesn't like to update files...

-- Tenson

Rookie7

Post by Rookie7 »

Link's down!

Tenson

Post by Tenson »

Rookie7 wrote: Link's down!

Yes as with my other file, that was an unstable server. See up top for new link.
Last edited by Tenson on Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shof515

Post by Shof515 »

Finally got a chance to install this,and i can see that you may of never had any testers for this because i get this:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected ']' in c:\program files\shaun\www\ephpbb\includes\usercp_register.php on line 122
Problem Fix:
Open:
includes/usercp_register.php
Find:
if ($mode == 'register' || $mode == 'editprofile'] || $HTTP_POST_VARS['submit'])
Replace with:
if ($mode == 'register' || $mode == 'editprofile' || $HTTP_POST_VARS['submit'])
Now when i try and register,i get this:
General Error

You have been banned from registering on this site

......thats scary... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whos missing up my sig?

Tenson

Post by Tenson »

Haha sorry if it's scary but it's the truth :wink:

Thanks for pointing out that. I remember I had the same problem, but I had thought I fixed it in both the mod file and on my forum when I tested it -- apparently I only fixed it on the forum. I'll modify the mod script so that's fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

And I'm glad to see that the ban part of it actually works -- I can't test it because at present it doesn't support IPv6 IPs, and my computer always resolves localhost as an IPv6 IP :? I just knew that the IPs were being added to the database and popped up in the list.

-- Tenson

Shof515

Post by Shof515 »

I have a lite site that i runn off of my computer to test stuff,so i was able to bann my ip,the one i use to connect to my site,and it still worked
Whos missing up my sig?

Tenson

Post by Tenson »

All right version 0.2.2 is out with that problem fixed :D
EDIT: On that general error -- does it follow the normal template? That is, is it just text or does it actually fit other error messages that you see in the template with the tables and everything?

Shof515

Post by Shof515 »

I have small bug,that i want you to kill....I have my IP on reg. ban...I cant registrated a new account,but when i log into my regular account,i get this
when i try and edit my profile when i am log

and it follows the template
Whos missing up my sig?

Tenson

Post by Tenson »

Shof515 wrote: I have small bug,that i want you to kill....I have my IP on reg. ban...I cant registrated a new account,but when i log into my regular account,i get this
when i try and edit my profile when i am log

and it follows the template

Sorry this took so long to respond to, but I wanted to double check to ensure that what I was about to change to was right and did not create any security flaws.

The line you referred to earlier remains the problem. Change that to only test for $mode == "register". The other two, for mode "editprofile" and $HTTP_POST_VARS['submit'] can be taken out. The mode is still passed on as "register" if the forum was submitted -- that's the security check I was ensuring before I posted this.

I actually did that intentionally -- I figured people who were banned could be suspected hackers and trying to edit profiles and thus change passwords or other data. I'll take that out for now, and include as a feature in a future version that you can opt for the IP address to block edits of profiles, too.

-- Tenson

Shof515

Post by Shof515 »

or....you can leave the way it is,and have it so that a user can only change a few profile settings like have a seperate tpl file
Whos missing up my sig?

Tenson

Post by Tenson »

Shof515 wrote: or....you can leave the way it is,and have it so that a user can only change a few profile settings like have a seperate tpl file

For now, as a temporary fix (0.2.3), I'm going to take out the editprofile blocking. In the next feature release (0.3.0) I'll add in the feature that allows for editprofile being completely blocked, only portions of the profile being blocked, or having it not blocked at all. Users of 0.2.2 (which is, for the most part, you) can leave in or take out the editprofile option as you wish.

Or, maybe I'll just skip right over the 0.2.3 and go straight to 0.3.0... makes a bit more sense because this isn't exactly a bug, per se. Well, the next release will come out sometime soon, probably early tomorrow, and that's when you'll find out whether I opted to go to 0.2.3 or 0.3.0 :D

-- Tenson

Shof515

Post by Shof515 »

another good idea is have some type of setting that the admin can "define" from the acp of what type of profile field can be edited
Whos missing up my sig?

Tenson

Post by Tenson »

Thanks for the idea -- that's been added to the upcoming features list.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”