[DEV] phpBB Article Mod

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
SlatFats

[DEV] phpBB Article Mod

Post by SlatFats »

PROJECT CLOSED!!!!

read this post

***NOTE: NO CODE IN HERE. MOD HAS NOT BEGUN***
Below is my idea for an article mod. I would like to give you all the opprotunity to look this over and give your thoughts/suggestions about this mod idea. I haven't started working on this as of yet so this is just a [DEV] thread.

Thanks,
Ken
Original idea was on Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:33 am wrote: If you are a user who has been approved to post articles by an admin or you are an admin you will see an option on the menu that will allow you to add a new article or edit one of your previous articles....an admin has the right to lock articles so they cannot be edited. If the admin decides to disallow access to an article poster, an e-mail & priv msg will be sent to the article poster telling them this has happened and it will also ask the article poster for permission to continue to use their articles. There will be a link in the e-mail/pm that will take them to a form to say yes or no to the permission. If they do not respond within 72 hours, we will automatically assume they gave us permission. While within the 72 hour wait period, we will continue to use their articles.

On article submission, there will be an upload screen that will allow you to upload all the files that pertain to your article. After you submit the form and the files are uploaded, you will then be directed to the article text submission form. At the top of your screen you will see thumbs of the images you uploaded and links to files you uploaded. Those images/links will act like the BBCODE/SMILIES on the message posting screen. You will click an image to insert it in to your text where you want it. You will do the same for a downloadable file that you want to include in to your article.

After you submit your article it will be sent to the admin team for approval, if you are an admin it will bypass this step and go right to the live articles screen.
Last edited by SlatFats on Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zypher

Post by Zypher »

Well... I am defiently interested in this mod... I would love to help, so perhaps testing you can look for me! :-)
- Zypher

~Beware of the Darkness Within!~

Fully Loaded
SlatFats

Post by SlatFats »

Definately!

I have begun writting the code for the basic POSTING. I have not done anything with uploading of files. Tomorrow I will work on nothing else but getting the posting screen and upload screen working properly.
Zypher

Post by Zypher »

thanks for the update! Can't wait to try it out!
- Zypher

Fully Loaded
cwcollector

Great.

Post by cwcollector »

There is one out there already. It is ok, but if you can make one better, I would use it.

Chuck
burnthome

Post by burnthome »

waiting for your mod out later soon!!!!!
SlatFats

Re: Great.

Post by SlatFats »

cwcollector wrote: There is one out there already. It is ok, but if you can make one better, I would use it.

Chuck

Well, Chuck, could you tell me where? I had a conversion of an article program that worked with phpBB a long time ago. It was not very good at all. I am not sure if that is what you are referring to.

The link for the one I made before is HERE

It is not very good at all. I also see that there is a phpBB easyCMS...That might be what you are referring to. I have not installed that so I'm not sure what POSTING looks like...that is my main concern...getting posting as simple as possible. The output to the end-user could be in practically any format.
MobiTec

Post by MobiTec »

woohoo...

cant wait to see this... :)
************Click Banner For Mobile Offer!!!***********
SlatFats

Post by SlatFats »

After some personal debate, I have decided to go a different route in my coding and database entries. I was first going to store all the articles in the phpbb_forums like a normal post would be but that requires using the phpbb_auth_access table which I really don't want to mess with. I have now decided to add two fields to the phpbb_users table that would be article and article_upload. This will allow you to pick and choose users without messing with auth_access or groups. I will also store the articles in phpbb_articles and store the topics in phpbbb_article_topics which will have the date/time, who posted it, last edited date/time, last edited by, category id and topic title.

More to come... Also, I am thiking of making the IMAGE/FILE buttons post in standard bbcode revealing the url of the IMAGE/FILE to the poster. I think I will also make the left/right image bbcode be required for this mod.
Last edited by SlatFats on Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
cwcollector

No.

Post by cwcollector »

It was:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/1411

It is called easycms. It is ok, but to be honest. There are a couple of bugs. It sometimes creates posts that you can not delete, so it is a little buggy.

Chuck
SlatFats

Post by SlatFats »

Well, I haven't had much time to work on this like I had hoped...but, I am making progress.

Here is what the category select will look like(I'm trying to avoid having to edit any template files)

Like I said, I'm trying to avoid having to edit any template files. My plan is to use posting.php as the file that will post an article. posting.php uses posting_body.tpl...I have not edited it, it is in it's original form. When I get to having the IMAGE/FILE BBCODE it will be below the text box where the POST TYPE options are...it will replace them.

Ken
SlatFats

Post by SlatFats »

I have changed my mind about using posting.php to post articles. I have created a new file called "postarticles.php" that will handle the file uploads as well as posting or editing an article. I'm currently having difficulty getting the code to grab my files out of the temp directory because I'm doing multiple uploads at one time. I know I can acheive what I want if I do a single file upload, but that is not what the goal is.

More to come...
icedman666

Post by icedman666 »

Just a thought, but you could do what other boards do for multiple uploads. It looks like a subform, and you 'add' the uploaded file to the post (tho' in reality, the files get uploaded when you press the sub-submit button, and they just get referenced in the main form.)

It might be worth researching for this project?!
SlatFats

Post by SlatFats »

The thing is, I want the images to be available to the article poster so they can insert them in to their article wherever they want. The attachment mod adds the attachments to the bottom of the post...no formatting of where they go.
Zypher

Post by Zypher »

Cool! Can't wait... I think this will rock!
- Zypher

Fully Loaded

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”