[MODDB] Restrict Account To IP

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
geocator

[MODDB] Restrict Account To IP

Post by geocator »

This mod allows you to restrict login of a specified account to a specific IP address.

Be carefull you can lock yourself out. I suggest you create a test account first.

This MOD is now in the MOD-DB: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=302493
Last edited by geocator on Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

danb00

Post by danb00 »

nice mod, i take it this could be used to improve security, BUT its not going to be good for people who dont have static ip addresses
phpBBModded.com - Modding phpBB

»»EDDY««

Post by »»EDDY«« »

Very nice:)
It should be checkbox in profile as option.
Make a Tiny URL in excellent domain heh.pl

cooling system & water cooling

theanimewizard

Post by theanimewizard »

So like, if u sign up at a library, and use it athome, u cant do that cuz its differnet IP?

geocator

Post by geocator »

danb00 wrote: nice mod, i take it this could be used to improve security, BUT its not going to be good for people who dont have static ip addresses
theanimewizard wrote: So like, if u sign up at a library, and use it athome, u cant do that cuz its differnet IP?

My plan is to add to it to allow you to specify multiple ranges/IPs to allow this kind of thing. I just have to figgure out how to handle ranges.

»»EDDY«« wrote: Very nice:)
It should be checkbox in profile as option.

Not a bad idea, although I wonder if users would end up locking themselves out becuase they dont know what they are doing :D

honest

Post by honest »

could you do something like this to limit access to the admin panel?

geocator

Post by geocator »

honest wrote: could you do something like this to limit access to the admin panel?

I assume you mean only the admin panel and nothing else? This MOD already covers the admin panel.

Seven-

Post by Seven- »

SO this will allow them to view posts but not login to post? This is somthing I'm looking for because I'm going to start up a school website with forums though I don't want it where they can post @ school but can view it @ school... ;) (My schools ip is static)

geocator

Post by geocator »

Seven- wrote: SO this will allow them to view posts but not login to post? This is somthing I'm looking for because I'm going to start up a school website with forums though I don't want it where they can post @ school but can view it @ school... ;) (My schools ip is static)

No just the oposite, It restricts logining in to one IP address. However you could probably change it to do what you want, but would need a bit of tweeking.

geocator

Post by geocator »

Alright, huge update posted. You can now give mutlipe entries and use ranges.

If someone using php 3 can test, please do. Need to make sure my compatibility kludge works.

onigumo

Post by onigumo »

Cool. So, if I'm correct, this can help prevent the creation of multiple accounts by a particular user.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.

geocator

Post by geocator »

onigumo wrote: Cool. So, if I'm correct, this can help prevent the creation of multiple accounts by a particular user.

No that is not what it does. Again it restricts the IP addresses that a specific account can login from.

onigumo

Post by onigumo »

Oh -- I thought it would make it so that a user under a specific IP or range of IPs would have to use a particular account. Still think this is a useful MOD, though.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.

geocator

Post by geocator »

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

thank you geo, locked

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”