[BETA] GoogleBB Link Enhancement 1.2.1

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
kulinar

Post by kulinar »

joeydee wrote: Why is it that google and yahoo are not listening me?
Every SE has its own methods of ranking and I really don't know the answer.
joeydee wrote: Is it because my site is php search engines wont read the MEta tags? Or i need to havea Html homepage with the meta tags so the SE can read it and just put a link to the Forum?
PHP nad HTML have nothing to do with reading meta tags. Only in PHP they dynamically generated (which is good of SEO point of view).
joeydee wrote: Can you give me some tips please?
Well meta tags are not the only condition for success. There are so many things like keywords density, keywords to title relevancy, description to content relevancy, title to content relevancy, backward links, inbound links, PR of pages and so on.
joeydee wrote: All i want is for the SE's to read my META tag and list me somewhere. Cause as it is i dont even think GOogle or Yahoo reconize my meta tags there for my site wont be listed for keyword Puma or Puma shoes or what not. I went even 150-170 pages on google to see if my site is there for that keyword didnt find anything :(
They do, belive me. If you want to know whether SE read your meta tags or not, try this tool
joeydee wrote: My friend's site www.g-unot.ca <---he's got an HTML homapge where SE can read his Meta tags and a link to his forum
IMHO this doesn't help much. SE READ META TAGS from PHP pages! Cause the end result of PHP is HTML.
srid

Not able to get GoogleBB running

Post by srid »

Hello,

I tried to get your mod running. I think I'm using the 1.2.1 version of GoogleBB mod. I'm using phpBB version 2.0.20. Is it compatible?

Secondly, when I click on http://forums.site.com/viewforum.5.html, which is a link to one of the categories on the forum, I get a dreaded 404. I've followed the help file and made the necessary changes to both the page_tail and page_header files.

The error log in apache doesn't help much either

[Mon Apr 17 14:14:58 2006] [error] [client 59.x.x.x] File does not exist: /home/forum/viewforum.5.html, referer: http://forums.site.com/

Could it be a problem with apache's rewrite itself? I'm sure the rewrite module is compiled with apache. I've included some extracts of the .htaccess file in the root directory of the forum.

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule viewforum.([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php\?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3
RewriteRule viewforum.([0-9]*)-s([a-zA-Z0-9_]*).html viewforum.php\?f=$1&start=$2
RewriteRule viewforum.([0-9]*)-mark([a-zA-Z0-9_]*).html viewforum.php\?f=$1&mark=$2
RewriteRule viewforum.([0-9]*).html viewforum.php\?f=$1

<snip>

</IfModule>
kulinar

Re: Not able to get GoogleBB running

Post by kulinar »

srid wrote: I tried to get your mod running. I think I'm using the 1.2.1 version of GoogleBB mod. I'm using phpBB version 2.0.20. Is it compatible?
It is version independant.
srid wrote: Secondly, when I click on http://forums.site.com/viewforum.5.html, which is a link to one of the categories on the forum
Does this problem appears s only with viewforum pages?
srid

Post by srid »

Hey,

None of it is working.. The usergroup/memberlist.. None of the pages with a html extension is not working.. I can mail you the page_header, page_tail.php files and the .htaccess file if you require it.
kulinar

Post by kulinar »

Some hosting companies dont support mod_rewrite, because (as someone mentioned) they have to provide additional support. So ask them if mod_rewrite is enabled.

Try removing these lines

Code: Select all

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
and

</IfModule>
I dont believe this would help but who knows...
srid

mod_rewrite

Post by srid »

Hello,

I have hosted it on my own system which is running on Gentoo distribution and according to my knowledge it is enabled by default.
kulinar

Re: Not able to get GoogleBB running

Post by kulinar »

srid wrote: [Mon Apr 17 14:14:58 2006] [error] [client 59.x.x.x] File does not exist: /home/forum/viewforum.5.html, referer: http://forums.site.com/
The error shows that the problem is the .htaccess part of the mod.

Did you try removing those lines from .htaccess?

Can you PM me your htaccess?
srid

Post by srid »

Hello,

I removed those two lines and got these errors in the error log.

[Mon Apr 17 20:04:17 2006] [alert] [client 10.1.30.161] /var/www/forum/.htaccess: RewriteRule not allowed here
[Mon Apr 17 20:04:18 2006] [alert] [client 10.1.30.161] /var/www/forum/.htaccess: RewriteRule not allowed here

This is my htaccess. I hope I'm not being an annoyance :-)

#RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule viewforum.([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php\?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3
RewriteRule viewforum.([0-9]*)-s([a-zA-Z0-9_]*).html viewforum.php\?f=$1&start=$2
RewriteRule viewforum.([0-9]*)-mark([a-zA-Z0-9_]*).html viewforum.php\?f=$1&mark=$2
RewriteRule viewforum.([0-9]*).html viewforum.php\?f=$1
RewriteRule viewcat.([0-9]*).html index.php\?c=$1
RewriteRule watchtopic.([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php\?t=$1&$2=topic&start=$2
RewriteRule viewtopicres.([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([a-zA-Z0-9_]*).html  viewtopic.php\?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=$4
RewriteRule viewtops.([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php\?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&highlight=
RewriteRule viewtops.([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).html viewtopic.php\?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=
RewriteRule viewtoph.([0-9]*)-s([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php\?t=$1&start=$2
RewriteRule viewtoph.([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z0-9]*)-([/:\-\'(){}&=_a-zA-Z0-9\ ]*)\.html viewtopic.php\?t=$1&$2=$3
RewriteRule viewposth.([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z0-9]*)-([/:\-\'(){}&=_a-zA-Z0-9\ ]*).html viewtopic.php\?p=$1&$2=$3
RewriteRule viewtopx.([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).html viewtopic\?t=$1&start=$2
RewriteRule viewtopp.([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php\?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4
RewriteRule viewpost.([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php\?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=asc&start=$3
RewriteRule viewtopic.([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php\?t=$1
RewriteRule viewpost.([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php\?p=$1
RewriteRule search.([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)-([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)-([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)-([a-zA-Z0-9_]*).html search.php\?$1=$2&$3=$4
RewriteRule search.([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)-([a-zA-Z0-9_]*).html search.php\?$1=$2
RewriteRule search.html search.php
RewriteRule memberlist.([a-zA-Z0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).html memberlist.php\?mode=$1&order=$2&start=$3
RewriteRule memberlist.html memberlist.php
RewriteRule faq.([a-zA-Z0-9]*).html faq.php\?mode=$1
RewriteRule faq.html faq.php
RewriteRule groupcp.([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).html groupcp.php\?g=$1&start=$2
RewriteRule groupcp.([0-9]*).html groupcp.php?g=$1
RewriteRule groupcp.html groupcp.php
RewriteRule viewprofile.([0-9]*).html profile.php\?mode=viewprofile&u=$1
kulinar

Post by kulinar »

Replace

#RewriteEngine On
with

Options +FollowSymlinks 
RewriteEngine On

The symbol # means that the directive RewriteEngine On is commented out ;).
srid

Post by srid »

Hello again,

I had those settings enabled. Disabled them later on just to check. Still the same problem. Enabled it and still having the same problem :/
kulinar

Post by kulinar »

Sorry, I cant help. Make sure mod_rewrite module is enabled properly.
SlAiD

Post by SlAiD »

Hi,

I dont want search.php to be converted to search.html.

I need to remove only the lines with "statistic", or make another changes on the script?

SL
kulinar

Post by kulinar »

In page_tail.php
FIND

"'(?<!/)search.php\?([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)=([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)&([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)=([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)'", 
      "'(?<!/)search.php\?([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)=([a-zA-Z0-9_\%\!\.\-]*)'", 
      "'(?<!/)search.php'",
REPLACE WITH

//    "'(?<!/)search.php\?([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)=([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)&([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)=([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)'", 
//    "'(?<!/)search.php\?([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)=([a-zA-Z0-9_\%\!\.\-]*)'", 
//    "'(?<!/)search.php'",
FIND

"search.\\1-\\2-\\3-\\4.html", 
      "search.\\1-\\2.html", 
      "search.html",
REPLACE WITH

//    "search.\\1-\\2-\\3-\\4.html", 
//    "search.\\1-\\2.html", 
//    "search.html",
srid

Post by srid »

Hey Kulinar,

I got it working. It was a problem with the AllowOverride setting in the httpd.conf. Changed that and it worked like a charm. Kinetix, Thanks a lot for this lovely mod :-)
agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe »

It's nice to find a URL rewrite mod that works. :D

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”