[WAITING VALIDATION] Validate email

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Niels Chr. Denmark
Registered User
Posts: 1320
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:00 pm
Contact:

[WAITING VALIDATION] Validate email

Post by Niels Chr. Denmark »

I have on request made a mod, that validate that the users email is a TRUE email, that way not allowing the user to submit a non exisiting email, when they register or later if they change it in there profile

download here
mods.db9.dk/contrib/validate_email.zip

demo at my site
Last edited by Niels Chr. Denmark on Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
totoelectro
Registered User
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2001 8:47 am
Location: Nimes (South of France)
Contact:

Post by totoelectro »

for french support

Code: Select all

// added for validate email mod
$lang['Client_not_verifyed']="L'adresse de messagerie électronique de l'utilisateur fournie ne peut pas être vérifiée";
$lang['No_connect_server'] ="Ne peut pas se connecter à la messagerie electronique";
talia679
Registered User
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:07 pm
Location: PA
Contact:

Post by talia679 »

This is great I'll let you know how it works.
Thanks, Talia
Tag You're It Writing Community || TYI Forums
Taleria - Talia's Gallery of 2000+ Links & 140+ Books
GameCrafters Guild – Gaming info and resources
User avatar
Klaus2000
Registered User
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:19 pm
Location: somewhere in nowhere in good old Germany ;-)
Contact:

Post by Klaus2000 »

German Support:

Code: Select all

// added for validate email mod
$lang['Client_not_verifyed']="Die eingegebene Email-Adresse konnte nicht verifziert werden";
$lang['No_connect_server'] ="Keine Verbindung zum Mailserver möglich";
Regards
Klaus
MadArab
Registered User
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:48 am
Location: Vegas Baby!
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Validate email

Post by MadArab »

Niels Chr. Denmark wrote: I have on request made a mod, that validate that the users email is a TRUE email, that way not allowing the user to submit a non exisiting email, when they register or later if they change it in there profile


oohhh... cool! I'll be watching this one too! was thinking about this too, great!
Niels Chr. Denmark
Registered User
Posts: 1320
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Niels Chr. Denmark »

thanks for both the german and the french language support :D
iced-pee
Registered User
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:08 pm

Post by iced-pee »

i'm curious on how the validation works.... is it the same as the user activation scheme in phpbb?
Niels Chr. Denmark
Registered User
Posts: 1320
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Niels Chr. Denmark »

iced-pee wrote: i'm curious on how the validation works.... is it the same as the user activation scheme in phpbb?

It works like this

When a user try to submit/change his/her email, then your server initiate a SMTP conection to the email server, if this succes then the server is validated else is gives a error.

after the server in the email address is validated, then the client "email name" is validated, this is done by initialising a "virtual" email to the client, if this is not accepted then the email is not accepted and a error is showen

note: the email is only initialised, but is aborted, and therefore not sendt, so the user does not recive a "extra" email
Last edited by Niels Chr. Denmark on Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acronym B.O.Y.
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2002 3:20 am

Post by Acronym B.O.Y. »

thats smart, i wish i thought of that ;)

Thanks though!
iced-pee
Registered User
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:08 pm

Post by iced-pee »

Niels Chr. Denmark wrote: When a user try to submit/change his/her email, then your server initiate a SMTP conection to the email server, if this succes then the server is validated else is gives a error.


correct me if i'm wrong, but the validation will only check if the email exists/is valid, right? but that does not guarantee that the user is the owner of the email address that was verified. would it be possible to mail an activation link of some sort?
Niels Chr. Denmark
Registered User
Posts: 1320
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Niels Chr. Denmark »

iced-pee wrote:
Niels Chr. Denmark wrote:When a user try to submit/change his/her email, then your server initiate a SMTP conection to the email server, if this succes then the server is validated else is gives a error.


correct me if i'm wrong, but the validation will only check if the email exists/is valid, right? but that does not guarantee that the user is the owner of the email address that was verified. would it be possible to mail an activation link of some sort?


You are rigth, the email is only validated as a "true" email
about confirming that the email belongs to the user is a basic feature of phpBB2, turn on "Enable account activation" in admin panel
it should do the trick
MadArab
Registered User
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:48 am
Location: Vegas Baby!
Contact:

Post by MadArab »

Niels Chr. Denmark wrote: after the server in the email address is validated, then the client "email name" is validated, this is done by initialising a "virtual" email to the client, if this is not accepted then the email is not accepted and a error is showen

note: the email is only initialised, but is aborted, and therefore not sendt, so the user does not recive a "extra" email


how is it going about doing this? is it connecting to port 25 of the email server, and verifying the email address, or is it authenticating via some other method?

If it is doing it that way, couldn't the recieving server reject the request seeing it as a possible spam relay request or attempt?
Niels Chr. Denmark
Registered User
Posts: 1320
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Niels Chr. Denmark »

MadArab wrote: how is it going about doing this? is it connecting to port 25 of the email server, and verifying the email address, or is it authenticating via some other method?

If it is doing it that way, couldn't the recieving server reject the request seeing it as a possible spam relay request or attempt?


it is connecting to port 25, but a SMTP server should not prevent this, since "reciving" of mail to own clients should be accepted from any hosts, only "relaying" should be "disallowed" for spaming reason - so this method should be allrigth to use
MadArab
Registered User
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:48 am
Location: Vegas Baby!
Contact:

Post by MadArab »

Niels Chr. Denmark wrote: it is connecting to port 25, but a SMTP server should not prevent this, since "reciving" of mail to own clients should be accepted from any hosts, only "relaying" should be "disallowed" for spaming reason - so this method should be allrigth to use


hmm... ok, thanks for the response. I'll install and have a friend test it, his server is very picky. Thanks again.
iced-pee
Registered User
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:08 pm

Post by iced-pee »

Niels Chr. Denmark wrote: You are rigth, the email is only validated as a "true" email
about confirming that the email belongs to the user is a basic feature of phpBB2, turn on "Enable account activation" in admin panel
it should do the trick


i'm using the enable account activation feature on my board. the problem i have is if the user changes the email address after registration. there is currently no validation for this and i want to make sure the email being used really belongs to the user and is an existing email address.

would it be possible to extend the account activation thing to cover changing of email addresses? like, when the user changes the email address in the profile, an email is sent to new address with an activation link. the old email address, however, is not changed until that activation link is clicked on.
Post Reply

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”