[DEV] Support Desk and Bug Tracking

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
chilling

[DEV] Support Desk and Bug Tracking

Post by chilling »

I am about to embark on a MOD to use the phpBB as both a simple Help / Support Desk and Bug tracking application. This is currently well beyond my own time, resources and skill levels to complete in a reasonable timescale but I going to start! Anyone wishing to help with this MOD development would be extremely welcome. Equally if anyone knows of a MOD which is already doing all or a function of the proposed MOD could they add a link ... I do not want to re-invent the wheel!

Below is a summary of the proposed functionality and initial screen additional functionality. The full functionality and screen design has no yet been decided so please add your thoughts. This topic is a general forum about this MOD to see more detail there is a forum at http://forum.triplentry.com . On this forum you will find individual topics about each proposed screen for specific discussion about functionality or screen design.

Overview of Functionality
  • This project is proposed to be help desk and bug tracking MOD for phpBB
  • Most of the requirements for a bug tracking system are the same as a support ticket system
  • User requirements
    - User may log support ticket or post bug (topic)
    - Tickets can be either accessed only by user or forum users
    - Tickets or bugs can be created in any forum the user has create access
    - Initial posting collects extra data completed by user
    - Displays status of the ticket or bug
    - Ability to confirm ticket it to be closed (locked)
  • Administrator requirements (Usergroup Moderator)
    - Ability to add users
  • Support user requirements
    - List of tickets support user has create access
    - List of bugs support user has create access
    - Ability to post ‘canned’ response
    - Ability to change status of ticket or bug
    - Ability to assign ownership of ticket or bug
    - Ability to close ticket or bug (locked)
  • Support group administrator help desk requirements ( Usergroup Moderator)
    - Ability to add users
    - Ability to add status options
    - Ability to add/create ‘canned’ responses
    - Admin user help desk requirements
    - Define which forums can have tickets
    - Define which forums can have bugs
    - Define usergroups that can post tickets (ie those with support contracts)
    - Define usergroups that can post bugs (by default any user who has create access in the forum)
    - Define usergroups of support users
    - Define usergroups of bug
    - Define additional fields by forum / bug / ticket
User posting a Bug or Ticket (Topic) (posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=1)
  • Users are generally familiar with posting questions to a forum, such as phpBB, therefore if reporting a bug used the same interface would be sensible.
  • In the Options section of a posting, where the current "Normal", "Sticky", "Announcement" options are a new options of "Bug" and “Support Ticket” are added. This would mean for instance, that if MOD_attach is installed they could added files, screen shots etc at this point - this appears to do most of what is required Advanced Topic Type
  • Either, as the Bug or Ticket option is chosen, a new section is added to the current page or when the submit button is pressed a new window is displayed asking for additional information.
  • This though appears to be all taken care of with a MOD under development [DEV] Post RequiresAdditionalFields
User viewing a forum (viewforum.php)
  • As the "Bug" / “Ticket” field is the same as "Sticky" and "Announcement", it could have it's own set of icons and the topic subject could be "Bug - Status: Topic Subject" with Status obviously being dynamically changed to the current bug status - this appears to do most of what is required Advanced Topic Type
  • Once the Bug / Ticket is closed the topic could be locked
User viewing a topic (viewtopic.php)
  • I would suggest that when the topic is viewed which is a Bug or Ticket, a section is displayed at above the Author and Message Heading with a summary of the bug status, assignment etc. and additional fields
  • Again this appears to be all taken care of with a [DEV] Post RequiresAdditionalFields
User viewing list of Bugs / Tickets
  • List all Tickets (topics) created by user
  • List all Bugs (topics) which the user has contributed
  • A range of sort orders (ie by date, status, additional fields)
  • A range of filters (ie exclude closed etc.)
  • Support group user viewing list of Bugs / Tickets
  • List all Tickets / Bugs (topics)
  • List all Tickets / Bugs (topics) assigned to support user
  • A range of sort orders (ie by date, status, additional fields)
  • A range of filters (ie exclude closed etc.)
  • Ability to assign topic to another support user (assuming rights)
  • Ability to change status – if Support Ticket, it will force the original poster’s “Watch this topic” flag to on and send an email - see [BETA] Lock-Unlock When Posting v0.0.2
Support group user posting of Bugs / Tickets
  • Ability to change status
  • Ability to reply with a canned message as posting "Can not replicate this bug please can you provide extra information", or a normal message. In either case the original poster and anyone with watch topic turned on will receive an emailed update from the forum.
Support group administrator posting of Bugs / Tickets (user moderator)(posting.php?mode=reply)
  • Ability to close a topic (this is normally a forum moderator permission) - see [BETA] Lock-Unlock When Posting v0.0.2
  • Ability to move a topic to another forum (this is normally a forum moderator permission)
Administration
  • Define which forums can have tickets
  • Define which forums can have bugs
  • Define usergroups that can post tickets (ie those with support contracts)
  • Define usergroups that can post bugs (by default any user who has create access in the forum)
  • Define usergroups of support users
  • Define usergroups of bug
  • Define additional fields by forum / bug / tickets
  • Demo - see the development / beta testing site but be where as this is a development site items might be broken :oops:
  • Comments/Bugs - is the place for a discussion about the MOD.
Christopher Hilling
SpaDental Management llp
https://www.spadental.co.uk

chilling

Post by chilling »

I am starting work on this large MOD again .... has anyone any suggestions or know of MODs which might do part of the requirement? (I do not want to re-invent the wheel - just change it's shape :wink: )
Christopher Hilling
SpaDental Management llp

alsakrah

Post by alsakrah »

It is very nice

I'm waiting for beta and testing

Big thanX :P

chilling

Post by chilling »

alsakrah wrote: I'm waiting for beta and testing

A long way from beta ..... lots of "Bits" done but it would have to pulled togethter to get it all to work as a single support & tracking system. We are currently using a lot of the functionalitly but it needs tidying up into one conherent MOD .... that is still a long way off :(.
Christopher Hilling
SpaDental Management llp

bcs10

Post by bcs10 »

any idea how much longer till beta of this is out??
/DD

DKing

Post by DKing »

Wow... this is REALLY nice! This would be for like if you are selling some software (like vBulletin), where you have to have a license to ask for support. Then, you could move all licensed users into a "Licensed Users" group, and set only that group to ask for support and/or report bugs.

But this is a really nice MOD, and I can't wait until BETA. I might use it for my hosting company, for the people who have accounts.

-DKing
-DKing
Latest phpBB Version: 2.0.21
Search For a MOD: MOD Search

DraculaRemo

Post by DraculaRemo »

You may could add this?

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... torder=asc

Would be great!

Remo

chilling

Post by chilling »

Escalation is part of the design functionality for this MOD.

Currently the status is sort of on hold as I have switched to using the CH MOD and a lot of our funcitionality / workflow requirements have been redesigned so as to fit within the abilities of phpBB + CH ..... I am unlikely to make much progress on the core MOD until Christmas as we have a very busy autumn.
Christopher Hilling
SpaDental Management llp

DraculaRemo

Post by DraculaRemo »

Do you have a date when the MOD will be available?

chilling

Post by chilling »

No date .... likely to be 2006 before I bring all the bits together unless other would liek to help
Christopher Hilling
SpaDental Management llp

Americas Reject

Post by Americas Reject »

Love it, keep up the work

R3P0

Post by R3P0 »

Just wondering how this mod is comming as I have a huge use for it, I know your last update said 2006.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”