[MODDB]Categories hierarchy - sub-forums v2.1.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Ptirhiik

[MODDB]Categories hierarchy - sub-forums v2.1.0

Post by Ptirhiik » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:07 pm

• Functionalities :
  • sub-forums (eh, sure they are ;)),
  • forum link type,
  • forums icons, navigation icons,
  • style (template and/or sub-template) per forum,
  • default topic sort per forum, more sort available too,
  • a new forum administration, much more friendly,
  • custom presets (you know, "private", "public", etc.) for permissions,
  • favorite icons (in browser favorites),
  • last topic title on index (inspired by e-Sven),
  • today/yesterday dates (based on Netclectic's today at/yesterday at),
  • Fix message_die() error message mod by Markus Petrux,
  • board announcement,
  • announces duration,
  • messages icons,
  • keep unread topics flags,
  • page generation time and sql requests list (when activated)
It covers the functionalities of other mods I've made, like topic icons, topic display order, keep unread, announces suites, etc.

Before someone asks :) : Why pack so much feature in one mod ?
Actually, the mod handles all what concern forums and topics list publication, and to avoid a too complicated installation, I've decided to make only one mod, which covers all of this, and allows to activate or de-activate each function, most of the time offering the user the ability to do it (if the administrator agree of course :)). It is not a compilation of all this mods, but an integration of all their functionalities to have a coherent install, that will be much more efficient and easy to do. It has allowed to greatly reduce the ressources consumption for large boards.

Note also the cache system has been entirely rework to simplify installation and to get something more solid, using the cache/ directory and avoiding so CHMOD as previous versions.

Regarding previous versions of categories hierarchy : changes:
- a more solid cache system (as mentioned), and algorythms,
- more facilities to adapt style not based on subSilver,
- enhanced forums administration,
- a better jumpbox,
- more efficient auths management, including when adding new (def_auths is gone),
- less modifications to apply,
- classes oriented programation to allow a wider customization,
- plus all added functionalities already mentioned :)
There is no upgrade script at this time regarding phps and tpls (data are recognized and migrated). What I strongly advice is to use the dev211ch pack (see the note below) : this will spare hours of modifications and errors tracking.

So enough talking, here is the zip files :

:arrow: download page

last updated of the packs : 26/02 @ 13h00 GMT :
- The "installed" pack has been upgraded to phpBB 2.0.12.
- You will find a new goody called "Cache phpBB version in Admin Control Panel" at the download page. It is designed to prevent the Admin index to check at each hit the latest phpBB version, but once a day. It allows however to perform this check manually at any time.
  • How to use the "installed" pack:
  • download the "installed" pack (modified phpBB),
  • unzip them on your pc (one dir per pack),
  • install, param and test a phpBB 2.0.12 (you can use yours if already installed),
  • ensure your profile is the lower admin user (commonly user_id = 2) if you are using an existing board,
  • ensure your profile and the default board style (ACP/Config) are sat on subSilver,
  • delete all the content of your phpBB directory, except config.php,
  • If you are not using msSQL or mySQL, apply the [SQL] part of the mod install description (modifications.sql),
  • upload all the content of the "installed/root" pack onto your phpBB directory,
  • apply a CHMOD 777 on the cache/ directory (and so for images/avatars),
  • hit your board index, and follow the instructions

And before all, if you apply the mod to your current phpBB board, remember : "Save is safe"
Fixes to apply after installation:
- none

Note: for french talking people, a dedicated forum is opened here

Side note on the viewonline legend:
The viewonline legend is generated in includes/class_stats.php, using the array defined in get_user_levels() method. Each level is linked now to the memberlist.php, using 'level' parm (array fields: link_pgm, link_parms).

If you want to add groups to the legend, it requires at this time to hardcode the group_name and the group_id (see link_parms below for group_id), and if any the color to use:
'legend' => 'your_group_name'
'style' => ' style="color:#your_color_value_in_hex; font-weight: bold;"'
(nb: you can also prefer a class rather than style: 'style' => ' class="your_class"')

To link to a display this added groups, you have to set for the link_parms field :
'link_parms' => array(POST_GROUPS_URL => your_group_id)

and you can use either for the link_pgm field :
'link_pgm' => 'memberlist'
'link_pgm' => 'groupcp'
as you prefer.
Last edited by Ptirhiik on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:09 am, edited 60 times in total.

odie3

Post by odie3 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:45 pm

I assume there will be some type of upgrade?

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:57 pm

Yep, but later : I want to focus first on the mod itself, as the upgrade is not the difficultest thing to write :). That's why this particular way to propose the mod in a "pre-modded" version, to avoid the classics installations errors while applying the mod : this will come in a second step, hopefully lighter than the previous versions :).

odie3

Post by odie3 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:05 pm

Very good then. :) I'll keep an eye out for it in your foums (as I always do anyway).

A.I. BOT

Post by A.I. BOT » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:01 pm

vey nice Ptirhiik; good work

morpheus2matrix
Former Team Member

Post by morpheus2matrix » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:14 pm

Fine :)

Very good job :wink:
Former phpBB MOD-Team Member -

Forgive my bad English :(

No support by PM/Email - Thanks - You can thanks me here :) - Pay me for installing MOD's :lol:

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:30 pm

hey thanks guys :). btw, I forgot to mention in the descriptive some classes (as ie class_db & class_config) can be used outside the mod to help other authors in debugging/dumping vars and sqls with a very low amount of modifications, removable without problems :).

britvos

Post by britvos » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:57 pm

Hi,

See this new version showed up.
Can you tell me if it is an option for me working with an Access DB, I spent a few days installing a phpbb 2.0.10 and the hierarchy MOD.

Problem is, it's not working the way it should yet. Would I be better off starting over with this MOD?

Thx in advance,
Brit

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:08 pm

For many reasons, I think so, if you have no other mods installed. As it is a "pre-modded" pack, you will have it quickly up and running, and so we can focused on glitches you may encounter because of Access. Remember btw to work on a test environnement, not on a live one until you are sure all is ok and functional, although I don't expect too much troubles :).

vze3k59w

Post by vze3k59w » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:26 pm

Finally a step in the right direction, very drastic change from your last revisions. You replaced many things with classes...It looks like you also did not touch tree architecture, this is not unwelcome. I will prolly comment on some of this code later but for now I ask you this, what if a user does not have the ability to cache, does not want to cache or already has a more superior system of caching?
Wanna join a very advanced OO based modular port of phpBB? PM me :)

markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Post by markus_petrux » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:27 pm

Congrats! ...really impressive! :)

EasyMOD Standards | MOD Template Actions | MODs in Development Rules
Useful information for MOD Authors | MOD Queue Stats | Search MODs
Write SQL/DDL portable to all SQL servers supported by phpBB!
Get EasyMOD 0.3.0! | Suport al phpBB en Català!
8)

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:22 pm

Finally a step in the right direction
Not really, I always hit the same road : you only see stations, not the whole track :),

You replaced many things with classes
Yep, it was a comfortable way to manage other things planed with inheritance, and to group vars under the same identifier, not really much (php remains quite poor regarding oop),

It looks like you also did not touch tree architecture
Actually I touched it in three very important point : I let you dig into it to find them (quite obvious btw :)),

what if a user does not (use) cache(s)(../..)
It will loose some efficiency, but not much : actually it depends of the servers (sql & ftp) he uses : in some cases, or for some tables, sql server will be more efficient than ftp server, so disabling a particular cache will be more interesting. On other configurations, not use it will penalize the board. ie not caching moderators increases the page generation time (we are talking about centi-seconds here). Hopefully, a tweaking tool is included with activating the debug switches standing at top of class_config.php, which will compare for the same page the time to execute a sql request against the time required to read the cache, and each cache can be activated or de-activated independantly of the others. Note than de-activating caches won't drive the board to perform a bunch of requests masked : as far as I remember, 19 is the maximum (in viewtopic) - 13 the most current for the parts touched by the mod when all caches are off - anyway, the tweaking tool say all on this :).

On various setup I've tested (sql versions, apache version and - more surprising - php versions), caches have very often won the race. However, the ability to use the cache system is linked to the ability to be able to set a CHMOD at least to 644 or 666, what quite all providers allows (777 is luxary btw ;)).

vze3k59w

Post by vze3k59w » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:34 pm

display_a_forum

you never use $moderators

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:42 pm

Indeed : I uses in place $this->moderators : I let the parm to use it another way (not present in the mod) :).

vze3k59w

Post by vze3k59w » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:43 pm

same with display_a_link

display_nav, what does $first do?

Code: Select all

return $topic_last_read;
				break;
code will never touch the break. return nukes it. (function mark)

$this->row_process_no_cache(&$rows, $row_id);

call time pass by referance is depresiated. use the reference in the function arg instead.

Code: Select all

message_return($msg, $id ? 'Click_return_forum' : '', $config->url($this->requester, array(POST_FORUM_URL => $forum_id), true));
$forum_id is not set in the function...

Otherwise its nice and clean...

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”