[ABD] Anti-Registration-Spammers

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

whops.... :oops: :oops:
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Ramon Fincken wrote: whops.... :oops: :oops:

I should have been more clear with my original post. :-) It's probably better than you asked so I could clear that up.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
indixie

Thank You

Post by indixie »

I'm not a programmer and am new to running forums. I wish to thank all the programmers for making phpbb possible!
I jrecently started a very small phpbb forum for family and friends and ran into drathbun's post during a search to secure memberlist from non-subscribers.
Following his instructions I moded the memberlist.php changing the posts to 3 from 30.
Learning from other reading I implimented the first part of the rule to search.php as to not have non-members using our search.
I also used the same rule in the groupcp.php file.

Worked like a dream! I'll post exact code if anyone wishes.

My many thanks to all the php community for all the learning!
bilofsky

Deleting Unactivated Spam Accounts?

Post by bilofsky »

Thanks for this helpful bag of tricks.

One request - if anyone's interested. I'd like a MOD to delete any unvalidated user after some period of time - say, one day. All the spambots I've seen give fake email addresses and never validate - they just want to be in the member list. If they were cleaned up automatically, at least it wouldn't be so much of a problem.

I also have a bunch of users who registered a couple of times before they figured it out. This would clean them up. (That's only an occasional problem, though, and can be done by hand with the phbBB admin toolkit.)

One implementation issue is that this would be sort of a scheduled task, so when to run it? I don't know if it should be done as often as every session start. Maybe on every registration? That will be often enough unless the bots stop being a problem, in which case it won't be needed.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

I have a planned update for this code that will provide quite a few additional features. As such, the specific ideas / code contained within this topic are being abandoned. Some of the ideas will be carried forward into a new MOD, but this topic can probably be closed. The code does seem to work, but will not be released in its current form. As such, I'm going to update the status to "ABD" and do not intend to continue any work on this codebase. Any new work will be released as a new MOD, not as a continuation of this one.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”