[ABD] WYSIWYG Rich Text Editor for Post and Private Message

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Dj NaSh

Post by Dj NaSh » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:25 pm

Hi!

Has anyone tested the Mod in a Hebrew Forum?
Is it working correctly?

Second,
Isn't it a potential risk to allow all those HTML tags?
Someone can enter a script, can't it?
Salsa in Israel!
--> www.LaMusica.co.il

anpena

Questions about Hoteditor

Post by anpena » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:53 pm

Hello There

Just want to know a couple of things about this product

1- How is going to affect the search option, any posting done with this can be searched by phpBB2 engine?

2- This works with any Style template? your instructions only talks about about phpbb2 default style

Thanks in advance for your help
AJP

jeffrosproto

Post by jeffrosproto » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:57 pm

Is there a way you could put in a box for quotes for code and quotes instead of using bbcode? Like in vBulletin. Also, is there a way to replace the checkbox options at the bottom with buttons. One more thing. Could you put the checkboxes in the profile instead of the posting.php. I would do this myself, but my only codeing knowledge is HTML, really. :oops:

EDIT: One more thing, can we use this in our sigs?

maxnorris

My experience with this editor

Post by maxnorris » Sat May 14, 2005 4:17 pm

First off, let me say the editor itself is very nice. Iniutive, seems to be bug free, and has a nice set of features.

However, the phpBB (and the also supplied SMF) mods are quite lacking, and have a few serious bugs.

First off, when it came to handling breaks (<br> and such), there are a few errors. (It wouldn't translate them correctly, resulting in rather odd looking formatting, plus words getting squished together, etc) I did manage to fix this tho, and got it working correctly. (If anyone really wants it I can point out the lines needing changed to work with phpBB correctly)

Another problem is user mods on posting_body.tpl. For example, if youre using the file attachment mod, you'll need to add the appropriate code to the posting_body_ie.tpl as well. Not a fault on the mod's part, more of a heads up if you're going to try it, and it's kind of a given anyway.

But the biggest problem is more of an ommission as to translating between the old BBcode editor and the WYSIWYG editor. Here's a simple example. Say user #1 posts a message with the WYSIWYG editor. It works ok, and the forum displays the message ok (after editing the code a tad, see above) User #2 posts a message with the standard textarea editor. Again, all is good. The problem arises if the WYSIWYG user decided to edit/reply/quote/etc the textarea user's message, or vice versa. The WYSIWYG editor will display the BBCode instead of actually formatting the text, and the textarea will display HTML code. Doesn't exactly break the forum, but it really will throw users off (especially the WYSIWYG users who again have to deal with BBCode, defeating the whole purpose.)

So basically I've uninstalled this mod, for now. The editor itself is great, its just the supporting code needs a lot of work yet. I hope to see a new version of this down the road and I'll gladly add it back to my site. As it stands, its just way too much work to get it going properly at this time.

Dj NaSh

Post by Dj NaSh » Sat May 14, 2005 6:05 pm

Another big issue, I believe,
is the fact, that when phpBB 3 (Olympus) would come out,
Forums using HotEditor would be left with a Jibrished DB (because of all the special inserts of the editor),
and of course, the Editor would be compatible with the new version...

I really don't know whether to install the Editor or not... :?
Salsa in Israel!
--> www.LaMusica.co.il

maxnorris

Post by maxnorris » Sat May 14, 2005 6:26 pm

That's another good point as well.

What I've been considering doing is building my own mod for a WYSIWYG editor. (I'm taking a crash course in PHP as I go anyway, so it'll be a good learning experience.)

One thing I've noticed is that every editor I've found (HotEditor, FCKEditor, HTMLArea, TinyMCE and so on) they all spit out HTML code, which is something I don't want to turn on for my forums. (The coders have done a wonderful job making BBCode secure as hell, want to stick with that and not open up any loopholes)

So instead of dealing with that can-o-worms, I was thinking of making a pre and post-processing converter of sorts. Basically, the HTML editor will do its thing and spit back HTML code. Then my bit will take the code and translate it into BBCode, anything that it doesn't recognize will just get stripped out. Between the built-in BBCode plus some of the nice mods that are available to expand on it, should be able to cover most of the basics. Granted, it won't be entirely perfect; you'll need to disable options that BBCode won't cover. Most of the editors allow you to customize the toolbars, just need to yank the options that just wont translate properly.

Then, when it comes time to edit, reply or whatnot, have another processor convert it back in the other direction again and convert the BBCode to HTML.

After that just need to modify your template accordingly. (I know most editors will allow you to replace the built in textarea on the fly) Just need some sort of if-then code to show or hide the BBCode buttons and whatnot depending on which editor is being used.

Sounds good on paper anyway, might have to give this a spin (and buy a bottle of aspirin and a rope to hang myself when I figure out how complex it really will be)

Dj NaSh

Post by Dj NaSh » Sat May 14, 2005 6:30 pm

Wow, sounds great!
I really hope you can create it!

Sign me up for your mailing list, I'll be your first customer! :)

(I'm watching this topic, that's for sure..)
Salsa in Israel!
--> www.LaMusica.co.il

leecovuk

Post by leecovuk » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:47 am

hello everyone,

I'm hoping some other 'I want WYSIWYG' phpBB'ers may be around still ;

Basically, after much searching and experimenting, is the technique shown at the url below still the latest and best way to get any WYSIWYG editor integrated with phpBB ?

many thanks.

http://www.hoteditor.com/how_to_phpbb2.php

Dj NaSh

Post by Dj NaSh » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:51 am

Hi Mary,

As I've stated before,
although the JS code of this editor is yet to be perfect, and has many problems,
I wouldn't recommend integrating it to your forum, if you are thinking of upgrading the forum in the future to Olympus (phpBB3),
since the editor Jibrishes the posts, and they won't be readable when moving to Olympus.

Only after Olympus would come out,
if the editor would be redesigned for it, I would recommend installing it on the regular boards (e.g. phpBB2.x).
Salsa in Israel!
--> www.LaMusica.co.il

leecovuk

Post by leecovuk » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:17 am

DJ Nash,

Are you replying to me or indeed someone called Mary ?
I don't know anything about phpBB3 / Olympus ... ? I am just on the verge of starting out with phpBB2.

Is the link I showed above still the best known way to get any WYSIWYG editor working with phpBB2 ?

thankyou.

Dj NaSh

Post by Dj NaSh » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:25 am

leecovuc hi,

I don't really know why I called you Mary.... :roll:

Anyhow,
I was testing the HotEditor on my board, and it seems to cause many problems.
You can read on some of them in these last pages of this thread.

Olympus would be phpBB3, and is soon to come out.
When it will come out, all of the Modifications to all our forums would become obsolete.
The HotEditor changes the text that is sent to the DB, so that it can translate it to HTML (and to the WYSIWYG editor).

When we'll all update to the Olympus, you would be left without the HotEditor (obsolete), and without a way to read the posts stored in the DB.
So, until there would come out a new HotEditor customized for Olympus, you won't be able to upgrade,
and I get the feeling that there wouldn't come out any upgrade,
because the creators of the HotEditor are not exactly available...
Salsa in Israel!
--> www.LaMusica.co.il

leecovuk

Post by leecovuk » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:35 am

I see, thankyou.
It is so hard to believe that there is not a good WYSIWYG solution out there somewhere!
I don't want to move onto phpBB if BBCode or plain text are the only options for text formatting. (apart from raw html code)

Do you know if there are any plans at all for phpBB3 to have a WYSIWYG as standard or even a mod? I suspect there are no such plans, for some reason or other.

I am also willing to look at other forum software (which I have been doing) but the only alternative I can find for my needs seems to be the licenced VBulletin. This however depends on whether their hack 'Gateway for newsgroups and mail list integration' is stable and good.

So, basically, I like the free phpBB2 + the Mail2Forum mod but there is no WYSIWYG !! aarrgghhh !

Dj NaSh

Post by Dj NaSh » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:42 am

I'm having the same problem myself.
My users are complaining heavily about the BBCode,
when anyone of them try to write down a Happy Birthday post, that's usually when they get so frustrated from the editor, they are a click away from leaving permanantly.

I don't think Olympus would offer a RTF editor, although you would be able to choose the colors from a colorline, and not from a drop-down list.

Anyhow, if I understand correctly, the main reason for using the BBCode is for protection, since it is very hard to hack the forum via the posts when using the BBCode.

I too hope they'd find a solution, cause I'm going nutz here.... :evil:
Salsa in Israel!
--> www.LaMusica.co.il

leecovuk

Post by leecovuk » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:35 pm

Yes;
It seems to me that phpBB (and others) are totally obsessed with security over functionality, specifically regarding use of available text formatting.
This kind of assumes that we are all running high profile or public boards where we are at risk of being hacked.

What's wrong with supplying a range of options and letting the board admin decide who to offer them to?? For example, I have been running Mailgust for a couple of years which has very little if any hack protection and, even on my 'public' forums with integrated mail lists, have never had any security problems with users being able to use full html and flexible formatting.

I think software designers need to cater for the many responsible and private board users out here, whose admins know what they're doing and know how to regulate user options where appropriate.

webmedic

Post by webmedic » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:08 am

well if you were running a site whit any kind of traffic at all and if you can see windows xp getting patched to fix security holes you would know that there is never ever an excuse for adding features at the cost of security.

All it takes is to get your site hacked once to loose everything.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”