[ABD] RSS Feed 2.2.4

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
mreider

Post by mreider »

Thanks - I PM'd it.
chyduskam

Post by chyduskam »

I see. I think you use some unstandart solution in includes/template.php, for example, php support so tags <? have removed during parsing templates.
I see template. It's OK. But if I try to use rss.php?styled your template parser remove <? in style definition string too.
I see only one quick solution in your case.
1. Remove strings
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="{S_CONTENT_ENCODING}" ?>
<!-- BEGIN switch_enable_xslt -->
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="templates/rss.xsl"?>
<!-- END switch_enable_xslt -->

from rss_body.tpl and

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="{S_CONTENT_ENCODING}" ?>
from atom_body.tpl
2. Open rss.php
FIND at string 566

if(($user_id==ANONYMOUS) and CACHE_TO_FILE and ($cache_root!='') and empty($HTTP_GET_VARS) and !isset($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_IF_MODIFIED_SINCE']) and !(AUTOSTYLED and strpos($useragent,'MSIE')))
{
	ob_start();
AFTER ADD

echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>';
Find at string 577

}
else {
AFTER ADD

echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>';
mreider

Post by mreider »

FANTASTIC!

It worked perfect.

My board has been modified and messed around with so many times, it's really no wonder there were some errors. You seem to have figured it out perfect though.

Thanks a million, this really is a great mod!
the traffic

re

Post by the traffic »

Thanks chyduskam,

Although this mod wont apply to me, i will have to have to agree with everyone here in that you give quick and dedicated support for your mod.

Next question?

Does anyone know of a php script that will publish straight into"my site" from .rss feeds other sites generate. I can use any forum, classified script or whatever. I just need a way for my members to conveniantly read feeds within my members area without downloading a feed reader.
mreider

Post by mreider »

One quick general question.

I've been trying to submit my feed to various RSS directories, however some of them require the extension to be .xml

Does this mod support that too? If so, how do I implement it?

Thanks as always for your quick support!
chyduskam

Post by chyduskam »

mreider
I can give to you two solution
First of all, you can use included cache function. Create empty file rss.xml in forum root, set 0666 attr. to it, change path in rss_config.php and enable cache.
The second, use Apache mod_rewrite
mreider

Post by mreider »

Thanks! I've created the xml file (rss.xml) and placed it the forum root. Also CHMOD to 666.

I updated the path in rss_config.php to:

$cache_root = '/';	// Cache dir
$cache_filename="rss.xml";
How do I enable cache? Is it enabled by default?

Do I need to change this at all?

define('CACHE_TO_FILE', false);		// Use cache dir for caching defaul page. You MUST set 777 to that dir first
Thanks again for all your help!
skolima

Post by skolima »

Hi. First of all, I'd like to thank chyduskam for his great work. Awesome.

Second : I have a small glitch whem using the mod. Although I am not sure wheter it is because of the mod or my rss reader (Thundebird) : sometimes the posts are agregated strangely. Meaning, they aren't arranged by date of post, but by some other criterion I haven't found yet...

Third : Is there a way to prevent the feed from adding the "RE:" to topics? It causes Thunderbird to display the first post as a different branch than all the responses.

Fourth : Did you consider extending the mod so that it would also output information about private messages the user has received? Of course only for the logged-in users :] If not, is it ok for me to modify your work?
chyduskam

Post by chyduskam »

mreider
Do I need to change this at all?
Code:
define('CACHE_TO_FILE', false); // Use cache dir for caching defaul page. You MUST set 777 to that dir first

Yes. Change to

define('CACHE_TO_FILE',true);
skolima
1. Thanks
2. Thundebird is not best solution as RSS reader. Sorry, I have not time to test how it sort records.
3. Yes. You can find solution in this thread. You need to comment 3 string only. Open rss.php, find string 'RE:' and comment corresponding 'if'.
4. I think about it but I don't planing do it in next version also you can modify my work if you need it. Now I write version 2.3 with rich user-defined output format settings (with o w/o RE, for example), CommentAPI support and much more, so as I think it's good idea to wait week or two for new RSS engine.
Philip Roy

Post by Philip Roy »

chyduskam wrote: Philip Roy
mambo.php is not part of RSS Feed.

Which is why I started my posting saying it was slightly off topic. But I was hoping someone might know why the feed is working in most browsers except Safari 2.0? (and as a reminder, I've hooked the mod into a phpBB component inside Mambo).

Phil
Philip Roy

Post by Philip Roy »

Further to my last posting, I've tracked down the problem. The error that comes up in a mambo file points to a line of code about user_id in that file. The RSS script has the login feature (which I don't need) to pull feeds related to a users last login. Safari is trying to use the RSS feed to check you are a registered user, but failing.

I went into Safari and deleted the cookies associated with the site and the feed then worked.

How can I disable the feature in the RSS script about login checking? I note in the read me that it says it may not work on some hosts.

Phil
chyduskam

Post by chyduskam »

Philip Roy
Set in config file autologin to false. It'll disable using cookie in login.
Philip Roy

Post by Philip Roy »

chyduskam wrote: Set in config file autologin to false. It'll disable using cookie in login.
I did that but that then made it stop working for everyone with an error

Error creating new session
Phil
chyduskam

Post by chyduskam »

Philip Roy wrote: I did that but that then made it stop working for everyone with an error

Error creating new session

Sorry, but I haven't mambo for test it.
As I think, the next step is open rss_functions.php and remove create session code from function. How to do it I was write in this topic.
maddude

Post by maddude »

i've heard of tonnes of tonnes of RSS feed sites but i really dont get it what is RSS feed other than an xml file on your site? and also what does RSS feed do thats so special is it like live or something can someone give me some reference urls?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”