[BETA] Genealogy/Family Tree phpbb ADDON.

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
leoz

[BETA] Genealogy/Family Tree phpbb ADDON.

Post by leoz »

UPDATE: This MOD is now currently DORMAT! Meaning no work is going on now or planned for the future. You are more than welcome to the code to use as a starting point, no further development is planned by myself. I have chosen to use another program for this function it can be found at:

http://cobnet.com/gen/index.php

I do wish good luck in the genealogy research,
leoz

NOTE: LINKS BELOW WILL NOT WORK ANY LONGER! There are only listed below in case this MOD get started back up, then they can be updated with the appropriate link.

This is MOD is currently in BETA, meaning all is functioning, however we need it installed on other HOSTS to trouble-shoot any possible bugs or needed changes/modifications.

The webBase Project MOD.

You can view the wbMOD in action DEMO.

You can view the wb_create.php script, however it is for display purposes only. ADMIN DEMO.

This phpbb MOD (or should I say ADDON?) simply adds a genealogy database to a phpbb forum.
Features:
  • Designed to host individuals from one Surname and its variant spellings. However, it can work with as many Surnames as you like!
  • Logs all entries, modifications, notes about any individual in the database thru topics in the phpbb forum.
  • Easily find researchers who are looking for their ancestors.
  • Auto-notification of updates to members thru phpbb's scripting.
  • Link to other sites using a webBase database.
  • Very easy templating for all forms.
  • More features to be listed later, but look at the demo to see the actual project in use.
  • Currently being used online for 10 different Surname forums at this site. Check the Index link here to find them. How's that for a demo?

This MOD, I should say ADDON, has a few pre-requisites which can be found at:

http://cobnet.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=229

I am hoping that this ADDON can be a BASE for all genealogy researchers to use. It creates a database and includes functions to insert/update all tables.

Anyone who has time is welcome to join in on this MOD's creation. I could use some phpbb language translation help. Again, everything in the current mod should be functioning. Hope we get some interested folks to help.
Last edited by leoz on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
testing signature.
brighteyes

Post by brighteyes »

interesting lil mod, I'll have to try it out :)
BBaCEHost.com
Free Web Hosting that's Banner and ad free and more!
leoz

GREAT!

Post by leoz »

GREAT!, I was wondering if anyone had an interest or not?

Can't wait to hear your ideas/suggestions/etc.
leoz

Looking for XML Advice?

Post by leoz »

The mod is coming along nicely and I am starting to work on the XML portion of the MOD. I would like some input from users of XML. I have a temporary link of XML output at:

http://cobnet.com/phpBB2/wbMOD_wbidXML. ... =2&XML=yes

This link will be removed shortly, I am only hoping to give you an idea of what is trying to be accomplished here. Simple XML output of the database for other possible uses, such as Mapping. That's another project, but other MODs could possibly use this input?????

Don't look for the above link to be operational for long, because it is in the testing phase and needs to be improved greatly, however I do need input before implimenting this.

The one question I am unsure of is this: Do all fields need to be presented in the XML return, even when they are blank?
Brent C. Stevens

Post by Brent C. Stevens »

Hmmm, not bad, but it doesn't really appear to integrate into the phpBB forum. I was under the impression that each person's would also be title start of a new topic, listed under relative categories, such as surname, or location.
leoz

RE: New Entries?

Post by leoz »

Brent C. Stevens wrote: Hmmm, not bad, but it doesn't really appear to integrate into the phpBB forum. I was under the impression that each person's would also be title start of a new topic, listed under relative categories, such as surname, or location.

In the instructions for installing this mod:

Code: Select all

# 3) You need to create a new forum for the logging of the intial entry 
# and the updates to the database tables of this MOD. 
# NOTE THE NEW FORUM NUMBER. 
# EXAMPLE CAN BE FOUND HERE: 
# http://cobnet.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=31 
# 
# 4) You also need to create an new username to be used as the creator 
# of the message posted to the new forum created above. 
# NOTE THE NEW USER ID NUMBER. 
# EXAMPLE CAN BE FOUND HERE: 
# http://cobnet.com/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=42 
# 
found at:

http://cobnet.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=229

Hopefully this answers your query?
leoz

RE: New Entries?

Post by leoz »

Brent C. Stevens wrote: Hmmm, not bad, but it doesn't really appear to integrate into the phpBB forum. I was under the impression that each person's would also be title start of a new topic, listed under relative categories, such as surname, or location.

Also note the following link near the bottom of the page of any individual posted in the database:

LogPostID Record Log, other information and members researching this individual

If you click the above link from any individual's page, you will see that indeed that person does have a topic started under the forum that was set up in the installion of this mod.
Hovik

Post by Hovik »

I'm very excited to hear this mod is being developed and can't wait to try it out on my genealogy site, but the demo and admin demo aren't working. Can anyone help?

Also is the mod complete, or still in development?
nbeadmin

Post by nbeadmin »

i think it has been abandoned until someone else picks it up and completes it. I would love to have something like this on my forum so ppl can fill in the pedigrees of their horses...sigh.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”