[BETA] Gift Certificate Mod (0.1.1)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
yami scott

[BETA] Gift Certificate Mod (0.1.1)

Post by yami scott »

EDIT: Fixed it and released!

Gift Certificate Mod (0.1.1)

I finally fixed the bugs and have gotten it to a beta stage, please post any of your problems here and fixes also. I'm not through with this yet there are still other features I which to tweak, expand and add.

Now here comes the explanation:

About

Just what is the Gift Certificate mod and what does it do? Well it's quite simple actually; it's a voucher/coupon/certificate mod where you can use it to give your board a more professional automated feel. It works with zarath's shop mod 2.6.0 and allows the administrators to add codes which allow users to redeem items.

Its usage is quite varied, you can use it say as the answer to a riddle, you could base it on keywords from your site, give out codes as prizes or even use it as a gimmick on personal real life projects and products.

The data is stored as a Variable character (up to 32) - so you can have codes from 'ABC-123-aBc' to 'holy @&%$!' - The possibilities are quite varied.

Requirements:

You'll need a points system running (other wise you wouldn't have zarath's shop mod) and zarath's shop mod 2.6.0

Version Features:

* Has a fully programmed ACP.
* Add up to 10 codes at a time.
* Tells users when the code is incorrect.
* Tells the user what Item they have received.
* Removes used codes.
* Allows Variable characters.
* Works with zaraths shop mod and inventory.
* Comes with menu icon.

Future Features: (not implemented)

* Check existing code. (before adding to database)
* Disallow repeated codes.
* Admin ability to display code list.
* More ACP options:
- Limit tries within time limit.

- Incur ban from repetitive attempts (possibility).
- On/Off function
* Randomised item. (Possibility)
* Code generator. (Possibility)

* Any suggestions?

Test Boards:

Sorry I don’t have any test boards, but my own forum runs it nicely.

Download:

Gift Certificate Mod (v0.1.1)
Last edited by yami scott on Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.
yami scott

Post by yami scott »

has anybody tested it yet? after all i've been checking it, but to my green eyes it seems fine. I cant really put it on my forums cos they're public ones and my provider only suports one mysql database.

Just a few hints would be handy - or if it looks right could you let me know?

thanx
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

moved to a more appropriate forum
Systems Engineering
vrflyer

Post by vrflyer »

Got a demo to view it ? :P
Always Under Construction !
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

yami scott wrote: has anybody tested it yet? .. / .. I cant really put it on my forums cos they're public ones and my provider only suports one mysql database.

Just a few hints would be handy ...
hi yami,
well I have no clue what your MOD is supposed to do, but if you need some place to test it ... you could go for XAMPP. This gets you a neat and easy to setup/administer/use development-system right on your own machine. Be it a Linux or Windows-PC!

With that installed you can setup as many boards a syou like to make your tests without fearing to break something.

Hope this helps,
Manfred.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. (YODA)
yami scott

Post by yami scott »

thanx, i do have a PHP book that came with a PHP install cd so i could set it up on my pc etc, but sadly i couldn't get it to work properly.

I think i'll give that a go and test it there.

Well what the mod does is it allows the moderator (when i program the ACP part) to place an item with a serial code into a sql table, then on the user side the Gift Certificat page allows users to enter their codes, if they get the code right they recieve the item from the table and it gets removed from said table so no-one else can claim it.

So you can use this mod in several ways, you could make the code the answer to a question or riddle, you could hide the code on your site, you could give them out with physical (real life) products that you sell on your site if you do.

it's just an automated way of giving items out rather than having to do it manually.
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

yami scott wrote: I think i'll give that a go and test it there.
My experience with XAMPP on Linux & Windows are like: dowload, unpack , read install-insrtuctions, click setup and GO!

So you should get that running easily.

Have fun coding,
Manne
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. (YODA)
yami scott

Post by yami scott »

ok i've hit a snag and am in need of help.

It seems there's either no errors (or very few) as the page loads, but I must have coded the template call wrong, all i get is a white screen, i can add an echo and it appears so it appears the rest of the code is working.

I'm running it without values in the table, (without the values the page is suppose to load up a form for you to input a code.) but i cannot get my code to generate the page and the form with it.

I had a fiddle with the code but nothing will work. It should work in theory and i'm pleeding for help here ^^;;

If anyone can solve this or point me in the direction of my error that would be great.
yami scott

Post by yami scott »

sorry to double post, but i'm truely in a bind with this, i know it's my code thats wrong, i just dunno where, i've kept checking it, trying different things but that just brings up line code errors.
yami scott

Post by yami scott »

Appologies for my previous posts, but I have figured out the bugs and have gotten it to a (hopefully) stable state. So far I haven't found any bugs yet, but hey thats what the beta version is for.

Please try my mod out and let me know of any errors, bugs etc (likewise with the fixes ^ _ ~ )

Anyway I finally made my 1st mod! And got it to beta stage! Yay!
Shanana

Post by Shanana »

I've been searching for something like this, but did anything ever come out of this mod?
yami scott

Post by yami scott »

yeah it's been released, download link is at the top (or here)

It works fine, though i've noticed that if you enter too many codes in one go it drops one when entering them in your database (doesn't effect the user side though), I haven't figured out how to fix that though.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Hello,

Could you please change your MODs version number as outlined in MOD Development forum rules section 2. Your MOD as being in development requires a development version number as stated in the phpBB versioning scheme.

For example if your MOD is currently displaying v1.0.0, you can change it to 0.1.0 or 1.1.0, depending on your feelings of it's development status. Even minor version numbers (y of x.y.z) are reserved for release versions. If you believe your MOD is of a quality that deserves a release version, please do not hesitate to submit your MOD to the phpBB.com MODDB (MOD release database) for validation pending release.

Thank you,
The phpBB MOD Team
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
yami scott

Post by yami scott »

sorry about that, I have emmended it ^^

~ Scott
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Eeasy install. Any updates to this MOD?