[BETA] 'Olympus-Style' Forum Rules 0.7.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

chilling wrote: and I am hoping to get the board converted to using CH ....
You DO remember that NT-RAF also has issues working alongside CH?? I don't quite remember what in detail it was, but i DO remember there were issues :(
Have a great holiday :)
Thanks ... I'm pretty sure I will 8)
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. (YODA)
CoolHandLuke

Post by CoolHandLuke »

Hi, I just installed .7 of this mod. Everything works execpt the rules are not showing up. I checked the database and they are entered in there.

So that is when I click on the one area of my forum no matter what options I have turned on there are no rules showing up. However the forum stills works which is a good thing eh? :)

Any ideas of what to check?

Thanks,

Cool Hand...

I moved this off the demo forum which was working.. ;)
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

CoolHandLuke wrote: Any ideas of what to check?
Are you sure, that you have applied all the changes necessary and described in the MOD-instructions file?

Changes have to be made to posting.php, viewforum.php and viewtopic.php as well as the according template-files
  • templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl
  • templates/subSilver/viewforum_body.tpl
  • templates/subSilver/viewtopic_body.tpl
Could you post a link to a screenshot of the ACP-settings you applied to one of your forums?

Cheers,
Manfred.
CoolHandLuke

Post by CoolHandLuke »

Yes, I am sure I went over those files and made all the appropiate changes. I will redo them either tonight or tomorrow just to ensure they are done correctly.

Here is a screen shot.

SCREENIE

Cheers,

Luke
Last edited by CoolHandLuke on Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoolHandLuke

Post by CoolHandLuke »

Ok I updated all the files again and still the same results. I have posted a link here to all the file changes I have made and some screenshots. If you ever have a sec could you check them for me?

Thanks,

COol Hand..

If not don't sweat it I will try some other mod

MyFiles

Thanks again.
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

CoolHandLuke wrote: If you ever have a sec could you check them for me?
Yes ... I will take a look!
Might not make it before tonight, because I'll be busy today, but I _will_ check to see, what's going wrong there.

Could you maybe PM me a link to your board, so that I could also take a look at it "live"
If not don't sweat it I will try some other mod
Well this MOD has worked for quite a couple of other users, so I would guess something(whatever it may be) in your installation went wrong. So we'll find the error and you'll end up with OlympusStyle ForumRules :P

So long,
Manfred.
qvroger

Post by qvroger »

This mod is really AMAZING
Thanks a lot ^_^
Working 200% fine ^^

I'm speechless rofl
CoolHandLuke

Post by CoolHandLuke »

Hey Thanks alot eh! I appreciate you checking that out.

Check you PM's I will send you one next. :)

Cheers,

Cool Hand...
CoolHandLuke

Post by CoolHandLuke »

Did you have a chance to look at that mad manne?

Cheers,

Cool Hand...
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

I took a short look, yes .. but I didn't find the time to have a concentrated look at it, yet :oops:

At first sight it looks like you missed out on some parts on the template-side, but what I saw should actually not cause it to not display anything, rather the opposite should happen?!

I had some unexpected work to do, and I fear that tonight I won't make it either because I'm just too tired. I hope to get the chance to look at it tommorrow evening .. and I will report a.s.a.p.

BTW. Dou you have experince in installing MODS? Or is this the first one you ever put your hands on? The reason I am aksing this, is that you are actually the first user reporting problems with this MOD, so I bet you missed out on some parts of the Instructions-File ...
Are there any other MODs you are using on your board, that yould interfere with mine?
You see .. questions over questions :roll:

Good luck and until soon,
Manfred.
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

So here I am back, after a close look at the changes you've made according to my MOD ....

Everything looks almost perfect and there's only one thing you forgot:
Although it is no problem to leave out the comment-lines that come with my MOD within the php-scripts, you must definately paste the complete stuff that my MOD requires within the template-files.

Let's look at posting_body.tpl, where you added this:

Code: Select all

<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="100%" class="forumline">
<tr>
	<td class="row1">
		<!-- BEGIN switch_display_title -->
		<span class="forum_rules">{L_FORUM_RULES}</span><br>
		<span class="gensmall">&nbsp;</span><br>
		<!-- END switch_display_title -->
		<span class="gensmall">{FORUM_RULES}</span>
	</td>
</tr>
</table>
&nbsp;
While the complete block must look like this:

<!-- BEGIN switch_forum_rules -->
<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="100%" class="forumline">
<tr>
	<td class="row1">
		<!-- BEGIN switch_display_title -->
		<span class="forum_rules">{L_FORUM_RULES}</span><br>
		<span class="gensmall">&nbsp;</span><br>
		<!-- END switch_display_title -->
		<span class="gensmall">{FORUM_RULES}</span>
	</td>
</tr>
</table>
&nbsp;
<!-- END switch_forum_rules -->
The important things here are the template-switches at the beginning and the end of the block, which control whether or not this block should be displayed or not. This is being "controlled" by my MOD.
Funny enough, the fact that you forgot to add the complete block to your template-files, should have lead to the ForumRules-box appear on all forums, no matter what you would have configured in that forum in ACP!

So finally, I would bet, that the main error is this: Are you using any sort of caching for the templates? If this is the case, then please find out how to force an update for these cached files.

Hope this helps,
Manfred.
CoolHandLuke

Post by CoolHandLuke »

Great Thanks Mad Manne! I will go try this now. I just got home from a fishing trip.

You are right that I am a newer user of these things. However I have installed a userlist mod and an advanced group mod. Those were my first two. Yours was my third. I hope this works and I really appreciate you looking at it.

Cheers,

Luke
neticus

Post by neticus »

Have had this mod installed for a few weeks now everything has worked fine. Yet its only now that ive tried to create a new forum that i get an error. This is after filling in forum name, description and pressing 'create new forum'

Couldn't insert row in forums table

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1136 Column count doesn't match value count at row 1

INSERT INTO phpbb_forums (forum_id, forum_name, cat_id, forum_parent, forum_desc, forum_order, forum_status, forum_digest, prune_enable, auth_view, auth_read, auth_post, auth_reply, auth_edit, auth_delete, auth_sticky, auth_announce, auth_vote, auth_pollcreate) VALUES ('57', 'Test Forum', '1', '0', 'Test forum description', 110, 0, 1, 0, '', 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 3, 3, 1, 1)

Line : 520
File : admin_forums.php
As stated in the error above you can see whats on line 1136

1132            $template->assign_block_vars("catrow.forumrow",  array(  
  1133                'FORUM_NAME' => $forum_rows[$j]['forum_name'],  
  1134                'FORUM_DESC' => $forum_rows[$j]['forum_desc'],  
  1135                'ROW_COLOR' => $row_color,  
          1136        'NUM_TOPICS' => $forum_rows[$j]['forum_topics'],  
  1137                'NUM_POSTS' => $forum_rows[$j]['forum_posts'],

Ive narrowed the error trigger to when im told to insert the following code:

#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
			$sql = "INSERT INTO " . FORUMS_TABLE . " (forum_id, forum_name, cat_id, forum_desc,

# 
#-----[ IN-LINE FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
, prune_enable

# 
# 
#-----[ IN-LINE AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
, forum_rules, rules_in_viewforum, rules_in_viewtopic, rules_in_posting

# 
# 
VALUES ('" . $next_id . "', '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $HTTP_POST_VARS['forumname']) . "',

# 
# 
, " . intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['prune_enable'])

# 
# 
# 
 .", '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $HTTP_POST_VARS['forum_rules']) . "', ". intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['rules_in_viewforum']) . ", ". intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['rules_in_viewtopic']) . ", ". intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['rules_in_posting'])

This is the code before the mod insert:

$sql = "INSERT INTO " . FORUMS_TABLE . " (forum_id, forum_name, cat_id, forum_parent, forum_desc, forum_order, forum_status, forum_digest, prune_enable" . $field_sql . ")
				VALUES ('" . $next_id . "', '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $HTTP_POST_VARS['forumname']) . "', '{$new_cat}', '{$new_parent}', '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $HTTP_POST_VARS['forumdesc']) . "', $next_order, " . intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['forumstatus']) . ", " . intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['forum_digest']) . ", " . intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['prune_enable']) . $value_sql . ")";
			if( !$result = $db->sql_query($sql) )
			{
				message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, "Couldn't insert row in forums table", "", __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
			}

This is the code after the mod insert:

$sql = "INSERT INTO " . FORUMS_TABLE . " (forum_id, forum_name, cat_id, forum_parent, forum_desc, forum_order, forum_status, forum_digest, prune_enable, forum_rules, rules_in_viewforum, rules_in_viewtopic, rules_in_posting" . $field_sql . ")
				VALUES ('" . $next_id . "', '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $HTTP_POST_VARS['forumname']) . "', '{$new_cat}', '{$new_parent}', '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $HTTP_POST_VARS['forumdesc']) . "', $next_order, " . intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['forumstatus']) . ", " . intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['forum_digest']) . ", " . intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['forum_digest']) . ", " . intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['prune_enable']) .", '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $HTTP_POST_VARS['forum_rules']) . "', ". intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['rules_in_viewforum']) . ", ". intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['rules_in_viewtopic']) . ", ". intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['rules_in_posting']) . $value_sql . ")";
			if( !$result = $db->sql_query($sql) )
			{
				message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, "Couldn't insert row in forums table", "", __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
			}
What do you reckon? Any help appreciated, thanks.
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

Hi neticus,
I'm going to be pretty busy until tomorrow night, but will have a look as soon as possible ...

Will post back as soon as I could find what's wrong.

Cheers,
Manfred.
neticus

Post by neticus »

Ok i've narrowed it down to a conflict with another mod (subforums mod) in the same area i removed the code and left yours and it worked fine. This is the Subforum mod code in that area:

# Line 463

$sql = "INSERT INTO " . FORUMS_TABLE . " (forum_id, forum_name,

#
#

cat_id, 

#
#

forum_parent, 

#
#

, " . intval($HTTP_POST_VARS[POST_CAT_URL]) . ",

#
#-----[ IN-LINE REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------ 
#

, '{$new_cat}', '{$new_parent}',

Well if you can see the problem with a fix so they don't conflict it would be cool, i'll try to find a fix also. thanks

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”