[RC] User Website MOD v0.1.4

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
starwarz2

Post by starwarz2 »

Skrivet: Tis Feb 21, 2006 9:15 pm Rubrik:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mdvaldosta skrev:
Then there should be options for enabling and disabling the CSS box. You know, I think if you had a WYSIWYG editor or BBCode editor (like posting) and the ability to switch between the three (html, bbcode, wysiwyg) then it would be much more user friendly.

Bettye, you can't deny that it's daunting for a new user to figure out - your own website and the lack of your members using this mod is evidence enough of it's shortfalls. This is a great mod, but userfriendlyness doesn't seem to be a concern although it should be.

You bonehead.. users don't need a wysiwyg editor. This isn't for users to write complex websites. Its just for a page, where more than likey they'll be using it as a hodgepodge for self-expression and to hotlink to offsite pictures. In fact.. a wysiwyg editor may potentially CONFUSE the average or less-advanced user, who'll become overwhelmed by alot of buttons. Its the same reason why you don't see the FCKEditor in wide use, because its looks too confusing. If users sees buttons on an editor, then that means they have to figure out what each button does. So instead they run due to laziness in having to figure something out. Users are LAZY... remember? They want computers to be easy! They don't want to figure anything out.

So they don't need an editor to make things more complex, just to do simple <i> and <u> and <b> tags. A small HTML-enabled box does just fine, just like on the Community Connect Inc websites, where regular text is accepted for those who don't know HTML, or basic tags are accepted for those who know a little HTML, or where full W3C HTML 4.0 is accepted for those who know advanced HTML. In other words, ONE BOX accomodates everyone. A wysiwyg does not accomodate everyone as you suggest. It actually alienates the less-advanced whom you ironically are trying to help.

If you leave out the editor then everybody benefits.
clubchill wrote: those are all good ideas... but just from my experience running very active communities.. the majority of users are dumb as all heck.. u can put a button in the main menu, and they won't see it unless you make it blink.

I mean users are so dumb, you can actually RENAME your entire site, and they won't notice it unless you sticky an announcement at the top of the main forum saying "HEY!!! I RENAMED THE SITE!!!!"

Then they'll go, "wowwww... ohhhh I didn't know that"

So speaking to them about headers and footers and styles and CSS in my opinion is useless. I would do just like Community Connect Inc does and give them a litte box 200 x 125, a submit button, and call it night.

I think you really underestimate community users and people in generally clubchill.

A community is developed over time and users will learn from each other about functions and feautes. Its a about marketing and showing users how they can use your website/community/systems etc

So an editor like FCKEditor used in the right way is a perfect way in my opinion for this purpose. agree with mdvaldosta.....

Kalipo

Post by Kalipo »

Honestly, I think the WYSIWYG is a bit extreme for simple web pages. Remember, templates are being offered (as well as ones you will probably make yourself). The page(s) will be used by users for one of the following:
  • Not-so-web-saavy users will use it as their first web page (woo hoo & stuff)
  • Expansion of personal stuff not included in user's profiles
  • One more backlink for Google
An advanced user will probably have their own site up. You don't invest time to learn how to use a remote control & still walk to the tv to change the channel.
.. the majority of users are dumb as all heck..
A community is developed over time and users will learn from each other about functions and feautes. Its a about marketing and showing users how they can use your website/community/systems etc

Funny, you both are right, just on different levels.

As far as options go, I really don't see a need for anything more than two blocks in page configuration (well, possibly three if you want to include the page title). Headers/footers are all contained in the body, so the only thing beyond that would be the embedded phpBB Copyright. I haven't downloaded the latest version of the MOD, but I do believe that the page is stand-alone, so your template header/footer wouldn't be included on the page.

As far as CSS goes, fact is most just copy/paste rules they find fancy--most popular being scrollbars. CSS sites tend to lean more t'ward publishing code/examples with rules placed in the head (which is exactly what they will use). I guess what I'm saying is the use of rules in the head (both illustrate the methods clubchill mentioned earlier)...

Code: Select all

acronym {
	border-bottom: 1px dotted #FF0000;
	cursor: help;	
}

LINK BEING: <acronym title="Hypertext Markup Language">HTML</acronym>
...would be more common (and a lot more productive if CSS is used more than a few times) than this method...

<acronym style="border-bottom: 1px dotted #FF0000; cursor: help;" title="Hypertext Markup Language">HTML</acronym>
Either way, the bottom line rests with if you or your seasoned users/moderators want to assist/support your users in web design.

starwarz2

Post by starwarz2 »

Kalipo wrote: Honestly, I think the WYSIWYG is a bit extreme for simple web pages. Remember, templates are being offered (as well as ones you will probably make yourself). The page(s) will be used by users for one of the following:
  • Not-so-web-saavy users will use it as their first web page (woo hoo & stuff)
  • Expansion of personal stuff not included in user's profiles
  • One more backlink for Google
An advanced user will probably have their own site up. You don't invest time to learn how to use a remote control & still walk to the tv to change the channel.
.. the majority of users are dumb as all heck..

Funny, you both are right, just on different levels.

As far as options go, I really don't see a need for anything more than two blocks in page configuration (well, possibly three if you want to include the page title). Headers/footers are all contained in the body, so the only thing beyond that would be the embedded phpBB Copyright. I haven't downloaded the latest version of the MOD, but I do believe that the page is stand-alone, so your template header/footer wouldn't be included on the page.

As far as CSS goes, fact is most just copy/paste rules they find fancy--most popular being scrollbars. CSS sites tend to lean more t'ward publishing code/examples with rules placed in the head (which is exactly what they will use). I guess what I'm saying is the use of rules in the head (both illustrate the methods clubchill mentioned earlier)...

acronym {
	border-bottom: 1px dotted #FF0000;
	cursor: help;	
}

LINK BEING: <acronym title="Hypertext Markup Language">HTML</acronym>
...would be more common (and a lot more productive if CSS is used more than a few times) than this method...

<acronym style="border-bottom: 1px dotted #FF0000; cursor: help;" title="Hypertext Markup Language">HTML</acronym>
Either way, the bottom line rests with if you or your seasoned users/moderators want to assist/support your users in web design.

Many community users that I have seen in many communities, especially dating site with phpBB, that want to "customize" their own profile use MySpace of other editors, putting in extra features like music embeded windows. video windows, scrolling pictures, animations etc etc... so what the heck of course they want to have their own customized webpage integrated with their profile if possible dont you tjhink so?

Kalipo

Post by Kalipo »

so what the heck of course they want to have their own customized webpage integrated with their profile if possible dont you tjhink so?

If I or anyone else helping with this MOD didn't think so (and agree), we wouldn't be posting in this thread.

starwarz2

Post by starwarz2 »

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.p ... pic=207369

guys in the competitor thinks its a good idea too (InnovasionPowerServices)

clubchill

Post by clubchill »

well whatever the case.. I just sure hope whomever is writing this mod (battye i think) would escalate it. This mod is PERFECT for attracting advertisers if it includes a general hearder that admins can use for banner-ads and selling ad-space. That combined with subscriptions can generate tremendous revenue.

Does anyone know where Battye is both literally and in terms of development?

Kalipo

Post by Kalipo »

clubchill wrote: This mod is PERFECT for attracting advertisers if it includes a general hearder that admins can use for banner-ads and selling ad-space. That combined with subscriptions can generate tremendous revenue.

That's actually a really good idea. ACP options for:
  • add/configure banners/ad space
  • option to add it either at the head/foot of the page
  • on/off option for banner/ad-space per user (flexible to use as a toggle for subscription users)
That sound about right?
clubchill wrote: Does anyone know where Battye is both literally and in terms of development?

Last post he mentioned a complete overhaul...
battye wrote: I am re-writing this MOD soon, and I will be changing it quite a bit to make it more user friendly.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

I plan to start work on a new version in the next couple of days (probably on the weekend..) :)
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

starwarz2

Post by starwarz2 »

battye wrote: I plan to start work on a new version in the next couple of days (probably on the weekend..) :)

Well thats great! Good luck! :P

Have you seen the Typo3 open source CM system I think a fit with phpBB and that system should be very great...maybe it should be easier to integrate that software in some way to have all these functionallity ?

http://www.typo3.com/Screenshots.1627.0.html

dcz

Post by dcz »

Nice one ;)

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

How's it going so far? :)

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Peter77sx wrote: How's it going so far? :)

I haven't started it yet :oops:

What are the main features that everyone would like in the next version, and if possible how would you like them implemented:
  • Multiple pages - looking for suggestions on how to implement this!
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

JmsMusic.co.uk

Post by JmsMusic.co.uk »

Hello,

Just added the Mod to my site

It's a great mod!

But i didnt realise how to find the page to be able to Add my own website untill i did some searching in this post and on your own website. I think that needs to be made a lot clearer.

Also What about two different versions of the User Web Page..

1 for the user that has their own code to create the page

and the other for someone that gets presented with a page where they just add the text to the box and same with pictures ect.

Also what about an Uploading system so the users can upload their own page to it?

Also i think it in the Admin Control Panel there needs to be more restrictions and features such as instead of writing for the bit at the bottom instead it could be adding an image?

Also what about in the Admin for the boards control panel a section where the Admin can select which users get a Website and which dont.. I think most people will agree that this is a good idea! :D

Keep up the good work! :D:D

Thanks for such a great MOD!

Mike
Thanks,

JmsMusic

AnaB

Post by AnaB »

Great Mod!
exactly what i was looking for.
The only main feature im waiting for is the Multiple Pages. As far as the WYSIWYG, im giving everyone a link instead of a link to the templates to an editor so they can make their website there and then copy and paste the html.
Love this one

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

I'm waiting for Multiple Pages too.
AnaB wrote: Great Mod!
exactly what i was looking for.
The only main feature im waiting for is the Multiple Pages. As far as the WYSIWYG, im giving everyone a link instead of a link to the templates to an editor so they can make their website there and then copy and paste the html.
Love this one

What kind of editor :?:

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”