[BETA] Foretell Sports MOD 0.0.3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
steavieleeking

[BETA] Foretell Sports MOD 0.0.3

Post by steavieleeking »

MOD Title: Foretell Sports
MOD Description: Allow users to compete in sports prediction tournaments.
MOD Version: BETA 0.0.3
MOD readme: README
MOD Download: Download from here

Demo Board: Demo
Demo Username: burundi
Demo Password: burundi

Code: Select all

##############################################################
## MOD Title: Foretell Sports
## MOD Author: steavieleeking <[email protected]> (N/A) http://www.foretell-sports.com.ar
## MOD Description: Allow users to compete in sports prediction tournaments.
## MOD Version: BETA 0.0.3
##
## Installation Level: Intermediate
## Installation Time: 20 Minutes
## Files To Edit:
##               includes/constants.php
##               includes/page_header.php
##               includes/functions.php
##               admin/admin_groups.php
##               admin/index.php
##               viewonline.php
##               language/lang_english/lang_admin.php
##               language/lang_english/lang_main.php
##               templates/subSilver/index_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/group_edit_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/subSilver.css
##
##
## Included Files:
##               foretell.php
##               fsfixture.php
##               fspoints.php
##               fsviewuser.php
##               admin/admin_foretell_countries.php
##               admin/admin_foretell_config.php
##               admin/admin_foretell_sports.php
##               admin/admin_foretell_tournaments.php
##               admin/admin_foretell_rounds.php
##               admin/admin_foretell_teams.php
##               includes/functions_foretell.php
##               language/lang_english/lang_admin_foretell.php
##               language/lang_english/lang_main_foretell.php
##               templates/subSilver/foretell_fixture.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/foretell_points.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/foretell_prediction_form.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/foretell_who_table.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/foretell.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/foretell_points_table.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/foretell_round_table.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/foretell_winners.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/foretell_nextround_table.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/foretell_pointsround_table.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/foretell_viewuser.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_config_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_countries_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_rounds_edit_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_sports_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_tournament_edit_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_country_edit_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_rounds_tournaments.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_teams_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_tournaments_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_rounds_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_sport_edit_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/admin/foretell_teams_edit_body.tpl
##               templates/subSilver/images/icon_mini_foretell.gif
##               images/down.gif
##               images/up.gif
##               images/equal.gif
## For Security Purposes, Please Check: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/ for the
## latest version of this MOD. Downloading this MOD from other sites could cause malicious code
## to enter into your phpBB Forum. As such, phpBB will not offer support for MOD's not offered
## in our MOD-Database, located at: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/
## Author Notes:
## Read the docs/README.html document before using this mod.
##
##   2005-12-27 - Version 0.0.3
##      - Now you can release more than 1 round at the same time
##      - Added Fixture page to see all the rounds in a tournament
##      - Added Configuration Panel to customize some options
##      - Added Auto Reminder Email
##      - Round's auto-close improved
##      - Reminder Email improved
##      - Removed the confirmation message after adding a new match
##      - Fix bug in user's stats when there is no rounds to show
##      - some small bugs fixed
##   2005-10-08 - Version 0.0.2
##      - add automatic closing of rounds
##      - Fix problem with 'manually round release and stats calculation
##      - some bugs fixed
##   2005-06-13 - Version 0.0.1
##      - first beta release

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foretell Sports - CashMOD Add-on
Version: 0.0.2
Download: Here
Description: this add-on makes Foretell Sports MOD compatible with Cash MOD.

NOTES: This add-on creates a new Cash Event. To configure the amount of points for each currency go to ACP>Cash Admin>Cash Events>Foretell Sports

Code: Select all

2005-12-29 - Version 0.0.2
- Compatible with phpBB 2.0.18, CashMod 2.2.3, FSMod BETA 0.0.3
2005-06-16 - Version 0.0.1
- first beta release 
Last edited by steavieleeking on Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
DKing

Post by DKing »

Is this compatible with points system and/or cash mod or does it make its own thing? Also, could we get more information, such as features that are included in this MOD?
-DKing
Latest phpBB Version: 2.0.21
Search For a MOD: MOD Search
Abax

Post by Abax »

Demo looks Great!! I will give it a try soon.
steavieleeking

Post by steavieleeking »

DKing wrote: Is this compatible with points system and/or cash mod or does it make its own thing? Also, could we get more information, such as features that are included in this MOD?

If you take a look at the README (the link is in the first post), there is a list of features, you can find more details reading the step by step guide (also in the readme file).

An old version of the mod was compatible with points system, that means when you correctly guess a match you receive points in the points system.
But this firts beta release is not compatible with points system. In the near future, there will be an addon to make it compatible with points system.
I said "addon" because not everyone uses the points system.

About the cash mod, i can't answer that question right now because.
1) i have never used the cash mod.
2) i don't know the legal issues of making this mod "gambling" compatible.

So, in this beta release you receive points exclusively for the competition.

In the near future with the addon to make it compatible with points system, you will receive this same points AND the points related to the points system. By keeping those two kind of points separate users will receive for example 1 "Foretell sports point" and 100 "points system points" when they correctly guess a score.

If need more information please ask.
cokminister

Post by cokminister »

well, it will be fun if you can make use of the existing points.
just another suggestion.

how about adding handicap to the game.(eg. Asian Handicap in soccer bet)
weaker team to have advantage when playing against stronger teams.
(eg. 1/2 ball or 1ball advantage).

it's very easy to predict a match like Arsenal vs Norwich
vrflyer

Post by vrflyer »

Nice indeed! 8)
Always Under Construction !
crappytheclown

Post by crappytheclown »

are like statistics on how well a user is doing like username has won 38% (25 out of 70) sorta thing cuz i cant read the demo board since its in spanish
steavieleeking

Post by steavieleeking »

cokminister wrote: how about adding handicap to the game.(eg. Asian Handicap in soccer bet)
weaker team to have advantage when playing against stronger teams.
(eg. 1/2 ball or 1ball advantage).

it's very easy to predict a match like Arsenal vs Norwich

I can answer that question. I run this kind of tournaments since 2003, in 2004 we implemented a non-conventional tournament mod.
When a user predicted a round he had to select the match he considered the most difficult match in the round. At the time the admin closed the round the most voted match was defined as the most difficult one. If you correctly guessed that match you received 2 points instead of 1.
It can be called a "Democratic Handicap" :) .

It sounds cool, but it's not. That system proved not to be just, and for the next tournaments almost every user asked to return to the conventional system (1 point/match). The conventional system is more competitive, especially soccer people will share this point of view.
So, i will not implement Handicap in any way, sorry!

crappytheclown wrote: are like statistics on how well a user is doing like username has won 38% (25 out of 70) sorta thing cuz i cant read the demo board since its in spanish

If you log in with the user provided the demo is in english.
Read below, i will explain the statistics page.
And remember this is a BETA, i have more statistics planned for future versions.

ok, here is a more detailed description of the mod.

Go to the demo and log in to follow this review.
If you log in you will see the demo in english

Demo Board: Demo
Demo Username: burundi
Demo Password: burundi

After log in go here.

As you can see, on the left you have a tournaments list, only the open (current a.k.a not yet archived) tournaments are listed.
At the bottom of this left panel is the link to the archive, there you will find a finished tournament where the winners are listed.

Now go back here.

There are four sectors with tables and information.
Let's call them...

A|B
C|D

*Remember you have to log in with user and password provided.

Sector A: If there is a round to be predicted here you will find the form (not at this moment), after you send your prediction if the next round is available in the db you will see the matches of the next round listed, if the next round is not there yet you will see a message "The next round is not available.". That message will be very common in playoffs because you never know the matches of the next round until the current round is finished.
When you see the form or the next round, also you will see the expiration time for the round. Expiration time is the date and time when the round will be closed by the administrator.

Sector B: Here is where you will find the round table. The round table can be different on some cases. If the current round is closed, that means the administrator is updating scores, and you did not predict the round, you will see the round table without the column where your predictions are listed. You can see that case Here.
If you predicted the round you will see your predictions and the real scores, in red color the ones you correctly guessed. You can see that case Here
In all kind of round tables the column on the right indicates the amount of users who correctly guessed every match. If you click on this numbers you will see those users listed and a round table with the match in cuestion highlighted. Check Here
At the bottom of the round table you will find two parts. "Correctly guessed: (2)" nothing to explain there. And L(2) | T(4) | V(3) this indicates the amount of Local, Tie, and Visit scores in this round.

Sector C: This is the place for the "Round Positions" table, indicates the positions for any particular round, you can change rounds and this table will change.

Sector D: This is the place for the "Tournament positions" table.

"Tournament positions" table: Go Here
The Average is calculated using the number of matches the user predicted, not the total amount of matches in a tournament. So, if you did not predict round 3, the matches in that round are not considered.
(correctly guessed * 100)/predicted matches

The RP column means "Rounds Predicted" if this value is shown with background-color=red for some users, that's because those users didn't predict all the rounds.

The Indicators arrows UP, DOWN and EQUAL sign indicates the variation in your distance from the first position from one round to another. So, if you finished the round 3 with a difference of 5 points from the top, and in the middle of round 4 you are 3 points from the top, you should see the green UP arrow and "+2" indicating you are 2 points closer to the top than you were before round 4 started.

Groups: As you can see also Here, on the left panel there is a memberships list, if you click on the group you will see the same positions table but only with the members of that group. This takes advantage of the phpBB groups system. When the admin creates/edit a group he can set a group as a "Foretell Sports Group", only this groups will be listed in this mod.

User statistics: Check Here, on the left panel you see the points for this particular tournament, the average, then you see the distance from the top, or if you are the leader you will see "LEADER", or "CHAMPION" in case the tournament is finished.
The amount of rounds predicted, the maximum amount of points the user ever won on a tournament. Also you will find a list of tournaments where the user is playing. A list of the tournaments where the user was champion. And the memberships of the user except private groups.
The right panel doesn't need an explanation.

If you want to try the mod by playing with it, you are invited to join any of the tournaments listed in the demo. lang_english is available in the profile.
cokminister

Post by cokminister »

steavieleeking wrote: I can answer that question. I run this kind of tournaments since 2003, in 2004 we implemented a non-conventional tournament mod.
When a user predicted a round he had to select the match he considered the most difficult match in the round. At the time the admin closed the round the most voted match was defined as the most difficult one. If you correctly guessed that match you received 2 points instead of 1.
It can be called a "Democratic Handicap" :) .

It sounds cool, but it's not. That system proved not to be just, and for the next tournaments almost every user asked to return to the conventional system (1 point/match). The conventional system is more competitive, especially soccer people will share this point of view.
So, i will not implement Handicap in any way, sorry!

hey! no need an apology.
i know it's a completely different bet system from yours.
not that AH is better.
i'm awaiting for you to make it compatible with points/cash mod.
i'm sure my member will love it.
but now i'm playing in on our own private server

one more question.
instead of admin, can we specify a user to input the matches ?
MrDSL

Post by MrDSL »

If the points thing does become an addon could it just call on the table user_points? That way it would cover just about every points mod used out there including the Cash Mod.. Mod looks great and I hope points get added to it. I can't get my users involved in anything unless it has points LOL..
bbus3r

Post by bbus3r »

MrDSL wrote: If the points thing does become an addon could it just call on the table user_points? That way it would cover just about every points mod used out there including the Cash Mod.. Mod looks great and I hope points get added to it. I can't get my users involved in anything unless it has points LOL..

the problem with using just user_points is that it doesn't really cover everything. some choose to use their own defined currency, so an option to use any currency would be better IMHO.
MrDSL

Post by MrDSL »

bbus3r wrote:
MrDSL wrote:If the points thing does become an addon could it just call on the table user_points? That way it would cover just about every points mod used out there including the Cash Mod.. Mod looks great and I hope points get added to it. I can't get my users involved in anything unless it has points LOL..

the problem with using just user_points is that it doesn't really cover everything. some choose to use their own defined currency, so an option to use any currency would be better IMHO.

True then it would be best to be able to define that field somewhere and the script would just call on $cash_field or something..
obiku

Post by obiku »

It seems to be a nice mod....
Only it would be nice, if you could remove tournaments, teams, countries. And if you remove a tournament, it also removes the rounds of that tournament :!: . A nice option could be predict the score of a game like in soccer ( 1e half 2-1, 2e half 3-3, you can win the most points if you predict the first half and second half right.)
Last edited by obiku on Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
steavieleeking

Post by steavieleeking »

# added Cash Mod compatibility

Check at the end of the first posts in this topic.

I packed this changes as an add-on to Foretell Sports MOD. You need to install Foretell Sports Mod first, and then, follow the add-on instructions.

Configure amount of points for each currency in the "Cash Events" section inside the Cash Mod ACP.
bbus3r wrote: the problem with using just user_points is that it doesn't really cover everything. some choose to use their own defined currency, so an option to use any currency would be better IMHO.

The add-on takes advantage of the Cash Mod API. So, if you have 1, 10, 1000 currencies makes no difference, you just do whatever you want throught "Cash Events" panel.

cokminister wrote: one more question.
instead of admin, can we specify a user to input the matches ?

It's in my roadmap. I'm thinking in some kind of solution using groups and permissions.
obiku wrote: Only it would be nice, if you could remove tournaments, teams, countries. And if you remove a tournament, it also removes the rounds of that tournament .

Also in my roadmap. It's not an urgent feature.
Probably everybody will keep past tournaments available throught the "Archive". In a future version there will be statistics along time, this feature only make sense if you keep tournaments.
n1kki6

Post by n1kki6 »

A couple questions,
I am currently using the prediction mod from jslstudios.net, the thing i dont like about it that i like about your is that you can break down into weeks and rounds. I havent installed this yet and am wondering how does the prediction work, is it just pick a winner or can you also pick the score?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”