[SPLIT] Discussion About MODEditor

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
jefferson

IMHO

Post by jefferson »

As a newbie to phpBB who has only installed a very few mods, I may be a good source on this subject. I love the readability of the current template. I have been able to install 5 mods now with very few questions. Obviously, anyone wanting to create any kind of web page needs to know a bit of HTML, so the XML style tags make alot of sense, especially to people who write scripts which create HTML and such. But to people like me, a readable format may better allow the rapid implementation of phpBB and its many wonderful MODs. :mrgreen:

If this template did not exist, I would have simply given up before I even got started. Now I am actually believing that I can learn php and perhaps even become a productive member of the phpBB comunity one day! :wink:

A working parser would allow even faster implementation of MODs by beginners like me! However, the readability of this template might keep the occasional failure from being the wall that keeps a potential php geneius from realizing their potential. :idea:

Andareed

Post by Andareed »

@jefferson: I am planning on implementing a full Mod Editor, which would allow full editing of MODS.

Back to the topic at hand...
What will the standard default extension for mods be? .txt or .mod?

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

It was decided a long time ago, back during RC days that an XML file format wasn't the best solution, and we decided that the current format is the best. You may use as many "-" as you like, that is not likely going to change. Hope you see what we (mod Team) mean when the mod-template is currently what it is.

[edit]

dot mod is my made up extension, the Mod Team have no problem with it, but dot txt is also just as acceptable, seeing as they both have the same file stream plain/text.

Xerin

Post by Xerin »

It may be just me, but I belive the current Templete is 100% effective in getting the job done. I've seen many projects allow "snippets" of code to be stored in a database, and basically either one of two ways the snippet would go. It would either be in patch format (+ here, - here, ! find, etc) or in some off ways of (Find, Add, Replace, Goto) doing it, I even seen some that where totally way off in the directions (giant letters in ascii for find lol), and the current standard is easy, simple, and overall easy for any skill level (unless you can't read :? )

The only suggestion I have is standardizeing(spelling =P) the SQL Query method.
-Xerin

Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

Xerin wrote: The only suggestion I have is standardizeing(spelling =P) the SQL Query method.

I'm doing this even as we speak (or type, or whatever it is we do :P)

-Nuttzy :cool:
SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
No Support via PM please!

Xerin

Post by Xerin »

Nuttzy99 wrote:
Xerin wrote:The only suggestion I have is standardizeing(spelling =P) the SQL Query method.

I'm doing this even as we speak (or type, or whatever it is we do :P)

If you add it into the EZMod, I would suggest asking a person if they want to run the query first X_x, to be safe =/
-Xerin

Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

Xerin wrote: If you add it into the EZMod, I would suggest asking a person if they want to run the query first X_x, to be safe =/

Yup, this will be creating a whole new kind of security hole. Obviously things like adding tables and fields are necessary. However, it would also be nice to allow mod developers to run querries to better customize the install. The downfall being someone downloading a mod from a place other than phpBB.com and discovering that malicious sql just killed their DB.

Something will have to be done to save admins from themselves :lol: Once I get some more of the my DBAL extension completed, I'll create a thread where the community can discuss how to do this.

SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
No Support via PM please!

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

@Andareed

Your XML stuff MODML is inpractical, perhaps using nested tags as I proposed a while back may be better ;)

Its not that hard to make something read the current mod format, plus I have mine reading the multiline author notes fine, a bit eaiser with regular expressions but it can be done.

What might be better is more of a BBcode like template, with a different shaped header, but still not fully fledged W3 XML

human readability is highly important at this stage, plus I wouldn't want to undo much of nuttzy's hard work with his easymod

I also wonder if John still has an archive of the stuff from the old mods.phpbb.com where the official mod-template was first discussed.

Well at the moment were just really discussing the wording/content of the header, and any possible legal implications which needed discussing.

also mod validators won't chuck your mod out if it contains the generator line created by mod maker ;)

AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB »

Davidls wrote: I also wonder if John still has an archive of the stuff from the old mods.phpbb.com where the official mod-template was first discussed.

No, it was lost when our systems got attacked 4 or so months ago.

Davidls wrote: Well at the moment were just really discussing the wording/content of the header, and any possible legal implications which needed discussing.

Yes, please, let's get back to this.... so that when I return from my vacation, I can get this issue put behind us.

Thanks.

Andareed

Post by Andareed »

Don't worry, I have put aside my MODML ideas for now. Almost ready to release alpha of my MODEdit prog (http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=168386).

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”