[DEV] Mobile Online phpBB

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
rickey29

[DEV] Mobile Online phpBB

Post by rickey29 »

Mobile Online phpBB (MOphpBB) is a phpBB2 add-on module. It enables users to access your phpBB from a mobile/cellular phone, BlackBerry, iPhone, SmartPhone or PDA through WAP, xHTML (xHTML-MP) and HTML (simple text only) interfaces.

This makes your phpBB work effectively on small size screen web browser with limited bandwidth on unpowerful CPU. It provides convenience to forum users on the road. It is not suitable for full size browser like Netscape, IE or FireFox.

Please do NOT use this software when you are driving -- looking at mobile phone screen when driving is very dangerous. If you are webmaster, please forward this caution to your end users.

Features:
- View posts
- Support WAP, xHTML and HTML interfaces
- Support PHP-Nuke *
- View posts from previous 1 Day (7 Days, ...)
- View the latest 20 (40, ...) posts
- index2 for topic list from all categories and forums
- Display multiple posts per page
- Display post date
- Display view/reply number
- Sign sticky/announcement topic
- Sign locked forum/topic
- Sign moved topic
- Login/logout
- BBcode
- Smilies
- Sign forums and topics with new posts/replies
- View posts since last visit
- View your posts
- View unanswered posts
- Support cookie (automatically login)
- Who's online?
- View profile
- User defined topic/post number per page
- Private Messages
- Automatic distinguish user interface *
- Append mobile type when new posts/replies *
- Register through mobile *
- Update profile *
- Flood control
- Mobile hit counter/visit number *
- Using email sending page to hide real email address
The features marked with asterisks (*) have an enable/disable option with the default value being disable. If you want to change any option value, please refer to package "readme.html" file installation and configuration sections for detail.

Please go to http://www.mobileonlinestyle.com for more information.

This module is a re-write of Wap Forum (http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=137875) and/or phpbbWapGate (http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=224847). Thanks for plusmedia and valval's contribution.
Last edited by rickey29 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:46 am, edited 11 times in total.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Hello,

Could you please edit your topic title with a prefix as outlined in MOD Development forum rules section 3.a. This will allow people to see the development status of your MOD at a glance.

Thank you,
The phpBB MOD Team
Systems Engineering
Bi4a

Post by Bi4a »

great idea man, can count on my support. i tried to modify phpbbwapgate module but seems like completely failed. So i can help ou a bit with your work. According to posts at "dead" threads @ other wap forums , this one will be very popular. good luck mate ;)
btw, the link that you provided - is that the beta version?
i will try it now ;)
Bi4a

Post by Bi4a »

well, tried your MOD on nokia 3100 frontpage works well, but links to forums aren't working. should correct smth ;)
MrDSL

Post by MrDSL »

What does this mod do?
Bi4a

Post by Bi4a »

this mod allows you to connect to your forums with your mobile phone using WAP
ihere

Post by ihere »

Thank you for your mod !
It seems there is a bug in your mod , we know a wml page is limited by its length in one card.
if i have a big-size (may be 500k or larger) topic , can it be shown by one wml page?
Bi4a

Post by Bi4a »

ihere wrote: Thank you for your mod !
It seems there is a bug in your mod , we know a wml page is limited by its length in one card.
if i have a big-size (may be 500k or larger) topic , can it be shown by one wml page?

Not on all mobile devices, it'll better to use the split function to split topics more that xxx characters into some pages.
ihere

Post by ihere »

i have read your code !
there are some code not efficient.
for example, you make a function named "prepare_content" in "lib.php" to generate the topics related to page number but it's not a efficient way to solve the problem .
Using "limit $start,$size" in your sql must be better way !

If possible , add some note on your codes . It make others easy to join your work . I'm so buzy these days that i cant do more for this code.
Thank you for your work !
waiting your new version !
DimiTRy

Post by DimiTRy »

Whit attach mod present , i get on the gsm no page , and on the html browser this error :

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare get_var() (previously declared in functions_attach.php:883) in var.php on line 2
rickey29

Post by rickey29 »

Bi4a wrote:
ihere wrote:Thank you for your mod !

Not on all mobile devices, it'll better to use the split function to split topics more that xxx characters into some pages.

This is a open issue for my code. I could split one post into several pages if it is too long. While, if I did so, (1) since there will be bbcode in a post, such as URL, it is possible that the URL beginning symbol is in one page, the end is in another page. My code will have to handle this case, or user will lost the link function in mobile phone. Thing will be more complex when one post has multiple sympols. (2) Another problem is I can not provide the quote function if I do split, since the content of quote is in different pages.

Hope someone can provide a good solution to this issue.

My current consideration is I will not provide the split func. The issue will be solved when I provide xhtml and/or simple html (text only) version.
ihere

Post by ihere »

rickey29 wrote: This is a open issue for my code. I could split one post into several pages if it is too long. While, if I did so, (1) since there will be bbcode in a post, such as URL, it is possible that the URL beginning symbol is in one page, the end is in another page. My code will have to handle this case, or user will lost the link function in mobile phone. Thing will be more complex when one post has multiple sympols. (2) Another problem is I can not provide the quote function if I do split, since the content of quote is in different pages.

Hope someone can provide a good solution to this issue.

My current consideration is I will not provide the split func. The issue will be solved when I provide xhtml and/or simple html (text only) version.

You can split the one post by ". ! ?" and the size. if someome dont like use punctuation, we wish him luck.
:!: In my opinion, the most important thing is to optimize your code ,especially in the place where you used "prepare_content" function .
virgilturtle

Post by virgilturtle »

Thank you, Rickey29! This mod is exactly what I have been looking for! I have only been using it for a day but neither I nor my users have found a single glitch. It has worked perfectly for our needs on all the phones tested so far! Thank you very much for creating such an amazing and useful mod!

I was wondering, however, if you plan on supporting log-ins and posting from mobile phones as well... do you suppose those features may be considered for a future version? Thanks again for such a fantastic mod!!!

~virgilturtle
http://www.virgilturtle.com/phpBB2/index.php
http://www.virgilturtle.com
virgil at virgilturtle dot com
Prince_Cedric

Post by Prince_Cedric »

I tried it and it worked well except that it also showed the private forums.
LaZeR

Post by LaZeR »

DimiTRy wrote: Whit attach mod present , i get on the gsm no page , and on the html browser this error :

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare get_var() (previously declared in functions_attach.php:883) in var.php on line 2

Same problem here. Any fix yet?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”