[INFO] How gogle PHPBB!

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
ebizbuys

Post by ebizbuys »

Yep I had a few problems with the session ids still showing up in Google. But I realised that the problem was in the sessions file that in the instructions there were two instances of the same thing so had to change twice.

It was easy to see that from memory with the instructions provided. So if you are still getting session id probs in Googles cache check that you have made the change twice.

car window tinting forum

actually up until last week still had the problem but now google has indexed about 20% of the pages. Will see how they go over the next few months...
k10magic

Re: I DO, I DO

Post by k10magic »

scubakevin wrote:
soulstice99 wrote:Okay, how many people who have posted on this thread have a google friendly message board now?

I have a Google #1 Position for Cancun Forums as well as on all of the other search engines as well.

Regards

What code did you use?
oldapps

no idea

Post by oldapps »

on my site i want to install that mod but i have no idea what so ever about installing a mod?

Do do u install that green latters in your bog?
scubakevin

Interesting Problem

Post by scubakevin »

I had a #1 position for the search term "Cancun Forums" and a #2 Position for "Cancun Forum" and I was using hard coded meta tags so when you looked at the meta tags for any page you saw the same as the index page. I wanted to have all of the pages indexed so I first did the mod on the sessions.php file so that it would not use sessions for the bots, then I did the google mod to make it a little more friendly. What I found is that I fell out of Google all together in the top 100 and if you searched for content specific you got me some of the time. So what ended up doing was using the "remove index, index" mod and then the remove "viewtopic" mod so that when I hand coded the metas using my hard coded title and description together with the "site title" meta and the "TopicTitle" meta I reappeared again number 1.

When I let the mod take over the metas completely I lost my position. Here is what my meta code looks like.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html dir="{S_CONTENT_DIRECTION}">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset={S_CONTENT_ENCODING}">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
{META}
<title>Cancun Forums & Message Boards ::: {PAGE_TITLE}</title>
<meta name="title" content="Cancun Forums & Message Boards {PAGE_TITLE} for Information by Cancun Travel Online">
<meta name="DC.title" lang="en" content="Cancun Forums & Message Boards {PAGE_TITLE} for Information by Cancun Travel Online {SITENAME}">
<meta name="description" content="Cancun Forums and Message Board where Cancuns visitors come together to exchange ideas on Golf, Scuba Diving, Restaurants, Hotels and shopping, {PAGE_TITLE}.">
<meta name="DC.description" lang="English " content="Cancun Forums and Message Board where Cancuns visitors come together to exchange ideas on Golf, Scuba Diving, Restaurants, Hotels and shopping.">
<meta name="keywords" content="Cancun Forum, Cancun, Forum, Cancuns Forums, Message Board, {PAGE_TITLE},Cancun User Forum, Cancun Diving Forum, Golf Forum, Cancuns Springbreak forum">
<meta name="DC.subject" lang="en" content="Cancun; Forum; Cancuns; Message Board; User Forum; Cancuns Diving Forum; Golf Forum; Springbreak Forum">
<meta name="language" content="English">
<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
<meta name="revisit-after" content="7 days">

This seems to be bringing results however I noticed that when I was building my site map for Google I was still getting sessions from the forum so I wanted to get rid of the sessions and I did the mod of sessions.php but for some reason it is still creating sessions. According to google I have 14,000 pages in the directory which could be correct more or less.
duderiffic

Post by duderiffic »

Wow, this is a giant thread with a lot of ideas flying all over! Is there an updated official release of this?

Another question:
Is there a way to optimize for AdSense and Google search?
freejazz3

Post by freejazz3 »

I remember seeing something that turned every & page into a .htm

is that what you are talking about.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Locked. Details for reclaiming this thread are located here.

Though, FWIW, a KB article on it was already made, quite a bit back.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”