[INFO] How gogle PHPBB!

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
cdkrg

Post by cdkrg »

If a forum has thousands of topics, wouldn't allowing Googlebot to index the pages cause a huge increase in bandwidth? I'm assuming the googlebot would go through every single topic and every single page of that topic (which could multiply the number of pages spidered quite dramatically).

Googles doesn't do that. They take care to not overload servers with their spiders.
I've never done a search which turned up pages and pages of forum links from one site.

It can happen, but Google will hide some of the redundant pages from a site. Incidentally Google will not index every forum page since most will look very similar in content to other pages.[/quote]
dawizcy

Post by dawizcy »

:?

I can't FIND:

if ( $ip_check_s == $ip_check_u )

or anything close to it in my session.php (original)

Any clues?
Download 82 additional phpBB smilies free at www.2dvalley.com/smilies.shtml Image Image
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

You aren't using version 2.0.2
Defend the game:
Mary at Coupon Forum

Post by Mary at Coupon Forum »

Cool mod, thanks! I'd been thinking of doing something similar but hadn't gotten around to it yet. :) Cool beans man!

:lol:
Mary at Coupon Forum
I hate penguins. :D
LaZeR

Post by LaZeR »

:?: I've had this code in for several weeks and submitted my site to google but I don't think the spider has showed up yet :lol: Any tips or recommended engines to submit through?
cdkrg

Post by cdkrg »

LaZeR wrote: :?: I've had this code in for several weeks and submitted my site to google but I don't think the spider has showed up yet :lol: Any tips or recommended engines to submit through?

Try getting your site linked on other sites that are listed in Google.

Every few months Google will spider them and if your link is found you will be automatically indexed.

If you'd like I can put a link to your site on my "Google page" (a page I use whenever I want to add a page to Google's index). It will guarantee your entry in Google (as well as help your page rank) but it might take a while for Google to come around (dunno when they last crawled me).
fishfreek

Post by fishfreek »

Submit your site to www.dmoz.org Warning!!! Only submit it once. From what they say this site acutally has people who go out and look at the site and then decide to list it and under what category. They say subbmiting your site multiple times could cause your site not to get listed at all.

I submited my site back in June time frame and now I am almost the #1 hit if you search for "Aquarium Advice" on google or yahoo.
Have you joined the PetAdvice Network?

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so ask me how to join our local Shenandoah Valley aquarium group.
TeMPeST

Post by TeMPeST »

OK... im not a noob but im obviously a little confused at the plethora of posts..

So....... am I to understand that R U Serious's last post is the definitive answer (bear in mind I'm using 2.0.2).. Also, I'm not too sure exactly where to put the code... can this be clarified please? is it only in sessions.php? .. and do i simply have to add the code or replace some already there?

I probably know the answer to this but I just want to save some needless faffing around.

Thanks.
TeMPeST

Post by TeMPeST »

oh god...

look... my iq really is higher than my shoe size ok? I just need to smoke (cough) a bit less during the day thats all..

its pretty easy really isnt it... now just to see results.

incidentally, this is really important for me. my site - www.yamaha-rd.com , was completely destroying most other motorcycle related websites on google, purely from having all its ikonboard content available through crawling... when i installed phpbb2, i was immensely disappointed this was not thought of at the start... but dont get me wrong - the advantages far outweighed the ranking problem, which i knew would only be temporary...

fingers crossed eh. :)
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

the "definitive" documentation will be posted shortly.

thank you! :)
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
TeMPeST

Post by TeMPeST »

no, thank you! :D

Post by 77 »

i hope it's ok to just reply in this thread with my questions.

First of all, do you really (do I) want search engines to spider all my forum pages? Will they slow down my board?

If I decide to only want the index.php page to be indexed, will some "no index" meta in the <head> of the viewforum.php pages stop a search engine from indexing, let's say Google?

on my host I set a redirect in the CPanel control panel to redirect users from http://www.mysite.com to http://forum.mysite.com. Will my forums get indexed?

Thanks
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

documentation posted here.

thanks again to all! 8)
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
BartVB
Consultant
Consultant

Post by BartVB »

BTW this will increase the bandwidth usage of your forum, especially if your site has a lot of topics or users. In my case google has started with indexing the profile (and there are more than 5000 of them) :\ Will get even worse when it starts indexing the 74.294 topics (of which many have multiple pages).
IMO it would be smart to give google some stripped version of the pages, let it default to some very basic template..
BTW such a template could also be beneficial for people with slow PC's or connections. subSilver is beautiful but heavy on resources.
Is there some bare bones template already? Have searched for it but couldn't find anything.. A barebones template would also be very useful for creating new templates.
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D
cdkrg

Post by cdkrg »

Google won't likely index all of the pages, they have internal mechanisms to avoid crashing sites.

As to your idea of a stripped down template I intend to make one for my members who don't have high speed connections.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”