[INFO] How gogle PHPBB!

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

I agree that a stripped down template for search engine bots would be an excellent idea. Anything that keeps unnecessary bandwidth usage down is good! :)
Defend the game:
cdkrg

Post by cdkrg »

I'm gonna strip down subsilver for members too, not just spiders.

I'll just replace all pictures with text or html color. If anyone else wants to do this it will be quicker though. It's low on my list of things to do.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

the idea of havening a plain-text template is intriguing to me. however, it ends up being pretty low on my list of "to-do" right now as well. i would like to see it, however.
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
IDB

Post by IDB »

netclectic wrote: I agree that a stripped down template for search engine bots would be an excellent idea. Anything that keeps unnecessary bandwidth usage down is good! :)

Sounds like a very good idea to me too.
Regards, Ian.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I seem to be missing something here. I'm using 2.0.1 and there are no session IDs in the urls - the session ID is in a cookie. What am I missing?

Cancel that question. I've just discovered that, with cookies turned off, session IDs are added to the urls.
SportSC4

Post by SportSC4 »

i'm using 2.02 and i cannot find
"if ( $ip_check_s == $ip_check_u )"
at all in sessions.php
R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

Its around line 253.

Also you should update to 2.0.3 (has nothing to do with this mod though).
SportSC4

Post by SportSC4 »

2.0.3? I don't see that anywhere in the downloads section.

I checked around line 253 and the only coding in that area is about "Deleted expired sessions". I did a search for "ip_" and a few showed up but nothing about ip_check_s
R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

2.0.3 => Check the announcements. ;)

if you cannot find that, you either have the wrong file or you have done severe modding. Please copy the file and rename it to .txt. Then post a link and I (or someone else) will look into it. (Please do not post the content of the file in this thread.Thank you)
SportSC4

Post by SportSC4 »

aaaah, the announcements :oops:
hehe

i don't ever remember modding sessions.php (it's been awhile! hehe) but here is a link to the file.
R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

Yup, you were right, the code does not exist in 2.0.1. Sessions.php had quite a few rewrites between 2.0.1 and 2.0.2. So once you have updated to 2.0.3 it should work. I had copied a sessions.php from CVS over my old 2.0.1 files, that's why I was confused. Sorry, about that. :oops:
davidh44

Post by davidh44 »

Any data on how many phpbb pages Google will index of a large forum if this mod is done? Hopefully, someone with a large forum checks his/her web statistics.
cdkrg

Post by cdkrg »

It depends on how different each page is.
firstimecaller

Post by firstimecaller »

I've modded my forum via hsim's mod. All links are *.html. This is superior to having get variables as far as Googlebot is concerned, but I was still concerned about having the session variables popping up, and ruining the links a bit. I went searching, and found this post. Excellent.

Google will also only follow one level of get variable URL's, I'm told, so this would keep most of your content out of site if you do not modify your URLs. Also, .html URL's score higher than other filetypes, or at least I have read on SE forums.

RU Serious,
Could you advise on how to do this for 2.0.1? I don't want to redo my heavily modded forum. Huge thanks.
James
R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

Use the sessions.php from 2.0.2/3 on your 2.0.1 forums, I think (but I am not entirely sure) this works without problems.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”