[DEV] Classified Ads

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
PeteMan

[DEV] Classified Ads

Post by PeteMan »

MOD Title: phpCA - Classified Ads
MOD Description: Classified Ads script designed to run alongside phpBB.
MOD Version: T.B.A.
MOD Download: T.B.A.
Last Stable version: T.B.A.
Demo Board: http://www.phpca.net
Demo Username: test
Demo Password: test

I wanted a Classified Ads script for my website but couldn't find any that worked really well with phpBB, so I decided to write my own.

As you can see from the demo, all the code works. I'd be very grateful if anyone has any suggestions or can find any bugs.

At the moment I'm writing the installation scripts then I have a lot of work to do to make the scripts adhere to the phpBB Mod standards (mainly regarding templates). With any luck I should have the code available for donwload at the beginning of October.

Enjoy!

Pete
beggers

Post by beggers »

I can't find the demo. Is it off-line right now? I do need a classifed ad program so I'll be watching this topic. Thanks.
DKing

Post by DKing »

Demo works for me... but two things:
1) Nothing wrong with it, but why buy a whole new domain and/or hosting for a single phpBB mod? seems like you can just as easily buy one domain for all of your phpBB mods and create subdomains for each one. Again, I just wanted to point that out, but there's nothing wrong with it. Just strange.
2) You need to make sure that the phpBB copyright is there. This is a phpBB MOD, right? it uses the subSilver (phpBB Default) template, and all of the subsilver style like images and such (you basically copied the phpBB website and changed the name and few layout things and such...) so you should keep the copyright, even though the actual forum part of phpBB seems to be missing (??) from the demo!?
EDIT/ADDON:
[quote=from your site]designed to compliment phpBB[/quote] It complements it all right... almost copies it, really. Put something like "Based on phpBB" with a link at the bottom under or above your copyright thing.

Anyways... other than that, it looks good! ;)
-DKing
-DKing
Latest phpBB Version: 2.0.21
Search For a MOD: MOD Search
PeteMan

Post by PeteMan »

beggers wrote: I can't find the demo. Is it off-line right now? I do need a classifed ad program so I'll be watching this topic. Thanks.

The demo is definitely up. Please try again and let me know if you still have problems.

DKing,

Thanks for your comments. I don't want people to think there is any affiliation (until/if my MOD become official). I was considering a disclaimer at the bottom, something like...
PhpCA is an independent provider of software.
It is not affiliated to or managed by the phpBB group in any way.

I'll give this some thought this evening.

As you'll notice my script is (deliberately) quite separate to the phpBB code. How does this affect my chances of turning this into an official MOD?

Pete
ewelin

Post by ewelin »

interesting mod... i'll definitely be keeping my eye on this.... one thing... i didn't notice how one could list an item for sale....
PeteMan

Post by PeteMan »

ewelin wrote: interesting mod... i'll definitely be keeping my eye on this.... one thing... i didn't notice how one could list an item for sale....

You need to logon! Username 'test' Password 'test'. Please try it out and upload some pics.
ewelin

Post by ewelin »

ahhh i was just missing the link before.... pretty interesting.... would be nice if it was integrated with phpBB a little more. Like on the main page the username should be linked to their profile... then within the details page maybe give all of the contact methods the user has within their profile. That's just thoughts..

You may also wanna take a look at the subSilver Licence.
PeteMan

Post by PeteMan »

Hi Ewelin,
...would be nice if it was integrated with phpBB a little more. Like on the main page the username should be linked to their profile... then within the details page maybe give all of the contact methods the user has within their profile. That's just thoughts..

Thanks for the feedback, I'll add your comments to the future enhancements list. Please note that I do already utilise the 'Always show my e-mail address' setting. If the user has set this to 'No' then a contact form is opened up (keeping the email address hidden). Remember that most people who are selling stuff would be happy for anyone to contact them, not just registered board users.

Here's the subSilver license and my comments in bold...

The subSilver SDK is not released under the GPL and is not subject to that licence.

You are permitted to use the files contained within this package for personal use only. You may not use the files in any commercial package in part or in full without the express permission of phpBB Group.

You may not re-distribute this package in any way, shape or form without prior agreement from phpBB Group (this includes linking directly to the package on this site).

If the files in this package are used to produce images for any non-phpBB Group product the images or packaged image set should carry a name which indicates its origins as being phpBB or otherwise clearly state that phpBB originated the graphics. [I have manufactured a few buttons. I'll make it clear that these are phpBB originated graphics.]

This package and its contents are Copyright © 2001 phpBB Group, All Rights Reserved.

Therefore I don't think I'm violating their copyright.

Pete
Riamus

Post by Riamus »

This could be a nice addition, but I'd prefer to have it be a part of the actual forum, rather than a completely separate entity. Just my preference.
Kakkoii Translation Team
格好いい 翻訳
PeteMan

Post by PeteMan »

If you're only interested in advertising to forum members then I'd agree with you. If you're advertising to non-members then I think that having the Classified Ads section separate is better.
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

There should be a straight forward way of not uploading an image. As it stand you need to click on the Index Link to ignore the image upload. There should be a button next to the "Upload image" button that says "Continue" or something to the effect that it takes them striaght to their AD so they can review it. Not all things need a image.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
PeteMan

Post by PeteMan »

Hi Bonelifter,

Not sure I understnad your comment. When I create an ad this is the confirmation I get...

So adding an image is definitely optional. Is this different to what you got?

Thanks, Pete
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

I'm just not use to that. Usually the first link takes you back to what you just posted. Maybe it should integrated into the page before instead of being a seperate page.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
PeteMan

Post by PeteMan »

Gotcha. What happens with phpBB is that you get a confirmation message then an auto redirect after 5 seconds. My script doesn't currently do the auto redirect. I'll put it on the list of things to fix.
abnev

Post by abnev »

The demo looks great. This is what i am looking for, as soon as you are ready to offer the files for download let me know, cause i want to install this

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”