[BETA] Contact Us Form-Forum (formerly Thanks for Posting)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
ewelin

[BETA] Contact Us Form-Forum (formerly Thanks for Posting)

Post by ewelin » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:21 am

MOD Title: Contact Us Form-Forum (formerly Thanks for Posting)
MOD Description:Allows you to create a Contact Us forum that'll allow guest to post but only admins and mods will be able to view the post. It also changes the message issued after posting on a forum without read access and redirects the user to the forum index instead of to the login form
MOD Version: 1.1.0

MOD Download: Download
Last Stable version: [2.0.10] Thanks for Posting 1.0.0

Demo Board: n/a -- Removed due to excessive testing. Working on setting up a demo forum in my free time.
Demo Username: n/a
Demo Password: n/a

I've been in search of a Contact Us mod for phpBB and wasn't happy with what i found. The closest i found was markus_petrux's Thanks for Posting mod. The only downside to this mod was that there was no way for an guest poster to submit their email address. So with markus_petrux permission i've taken over the mod and added in this feature. I also changed it so that if a member were to go to the Contact Us form they wouldn't be allowed to select the Notify of Replies option. The page title was also changed to Contact Form instead of Post a Message.

Screen Shots:
What the contact us form looks like to a guest.

What the user/guest sees after submiting the form.

The post made in the forum to which only users/groups you give permission to read may see.

Please note these changes from mgutt have not been implimented yet
Last edited by ewelin on Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ewelin

Post by ewelin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:54 pm

has anyone tried out this mod? If not what's missing from it that you'd like to see? if you have... how'd it work out? everyhting go ok?

*=Matt=*

Post by *=Matt=* » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:00 am

Well with this mod i dont really see why you should have this http://slednewengland.com/posting.php?m ... ct[b]&f=30[/b].

You should make is so that they out the forum id in the admin panel and have teh posting.php pull it out of teh database. but besides that i love it ill just it on my forums
:)

ewelin

Post by ewelin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:13 am

hmmm great idea... i'll check into it when i get some free time... shouldn't be too hard to do.

cavallino

Post by cavallino » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:15 pm

it doesnt' work for me...
i've made all modifications according to the files, checked it 2 times..
but all i see are while blank pages, whenever i try to make new posts, or replies...

ewelin

Post by ewelin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:17 pm

do you ahve any other mods that modified posting.php? double check and make sure you've made all of the changes. Also can you provide a link to your site.

Thanks

cavallino

Post by cavallino » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:45 pm

Hi ewelin,
unfortunately i have too many mods that modified my posting.php file...
ewelin, do you mind if i send you my already modified posting.php(including all the changes by your mod) so you can have a look at it?

ewelin

Post by ewelin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:58 pm

sure... i'll take a quick look at it and see if i can figure it out for ya. could you also send me a copy of the file before you installed this mod...

ewelin

Post by ewelin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:58 pm

ok i went though yoru code quickly... ton of mods applied... now do you see "blank pages" in any posting mode or just the contact mode? Is the entire page blank or do you see the header and/or footer?

cavallino

Post by cavallino » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:42 am

Hi ewelin,
I can see completely blank pages (entire blank pages, without header & footer) every time i call up the posting feature... so when i try to write new topics, replies..etc.. and obviously also the contact mode

I hope you can help me because I would like to install your mod, its so useful

ewelin

Post by ewelin » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:35 pm

would you be willing to make an exact copy of your site and putting it up so i can download it. This will allow me to play around with the posting.php file and try and figure out which mod it is conflicting with. That would probably be the fastest way for me to figure out the issue... If you don't want to go that route then could you provide me a list with all of the mods you've put on your site so that i can try to replicate this.

cavallino

Post by cavallino » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:25 pm

Hi ewelin,
probably your mod is conflicting with the Topic Calendar mod, i'm quite sure about it, cause i've had some other problems with it when I wanted to install other mods in the past :(

Anyway... since only the simple mod "Thanks for Posting 1.0.0" works for me, can you tell me which lines i have to add/modify to that, just to have the "email address" field appear instead of "Subject" when guests/users will open the "Contact Us" form?
Can we try to implement just this? I will give up on the other features of your mod... but i would like to have at least the email address field.

Thanks

ewelin

Post by ewelin » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:32 pm

well unfortuntatly almost everything i added is needed in order for the contact us mod to work. The extra mode of contact is what determines if the email address field is displayed. There is no other real way of having the email address displayed without using a new mode...

An option might be to unmodify posting.php and instead make up a file contact.php which would be a close duplicate of the original posting.php.... the more i think about it that may be the route i'll take.

markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Post by markus_petrux » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:14 am

Maybe you could use a different GET var. Something like contact=1 rather than mode=contact. Maybe that makes the changes to posting.php easier to avoid conflicts with other MODs.

Maybe not though...
EasyMOD Standards | MOD Template Actions | MODs in Development Rules
Useful information for MOD Authors | MOD Queue Stats | Search MODs
Write SQL/DDL portable to all SQL servers supported by phpBB!
Get EasyMOD 0.3.0! | Suport al phpBB en Català!
8)

ewelin

Post by ewelin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:59 pm

markus_petrux wrote: Maybe you could use a different GET var. Something like contact=1 rather than mode=contact. Maybe that makes the changes to posting.php easier to avoid conflicts with other MODs.

Maybe not though...

hmmm that's an idea... i'll check into it... got some time coming up later this week so i hope to sit down and try and figure some things out with this. make it integrate easier with other mods...

Are there any other features anyone would like added?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”