[BETA] The Blog Mod 0.2.4

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
dcz

Post by dcz »

aboyd wrote: OK. I'm done. I've completed 0.2.4b. I believe it is stable, reliable, and usable. You can download 0.2.4b here:

http://www.outshine.com/minimods/

Well, how is it after two days debugging you claim to have a stable release, where this script was never fully stable before.
Please advices users this is beta stage and cannot be called stabe and reliable.
Cause it could work great and still have some great sec issues, what will you tell to those who'd trusted you thinking it's stable and reliable ?

I mean unless you realy started branching and set up dev team with debug procedure and sec testing...

I am very impressed with your work actually, but don't go to fast, it could end up being worst than a non functional blog. And if hardworking, who is not telling us nothing about nothing, comes up with his debugged version of his blog mod, you'd have worked for nothing ?

People using you code will have problem switching to hardwroking's etc ...

You start to understand my diapointement here ?
I think this messy organisation is even geopardizing your work as well as all everyone's could do since we get no answers (I am not talking about code here, juste words !) at all from the "management"...

I mean what is hardworking doing ?

Obviously he is reading this thread but he seem to only read the parts he likes.

He said he'll do an update script, well cool, but for which version ? Made by who ? and will it be as achieved the way his last release was? and will he stay silent about it until you recode it ?

Again, I know what it is to dev, and that it takes a lot more time we all expect at first, but there is no reason to issue such a poor release (I am talking about last official), even worst than the last original hyperions one, since it was instalable.

Hardworking, I think it is time for you to give answers about all this debate going on here.

We all do mystakes, and this is very human, but this is not a reason to stay silent, mystakes are nothing as long as we try to fix them.

++

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS
hardworking

Post by hardworking »

The first posted released (0.2.4) was intended for new users using phpbb 2.0.20, assuming using a default template. This was tested and running through www.theblogmod.com community. I thought I was clear.

Thanks to Tony for cleaning the package (0.2.4b) and make it more suitable for upgrade to existing mod users. Removing the un-neccessary files on the package.

This script is a long way to be in version 1.0, please check the title of this thread ... still in BETA. We have volunteers to make this script more stable and we continue to do test, test and more test to satisfy our community members.

Comments are all welcome, we absorb these inputs and use them as our guidelines. Please be considerate to our developers and volunteers. If you can make a good scripts and expand it beyond your needs, please share with us.

Thank you.
Project Manager, The Blog Mod
TheBlogMod.com Open Source = Free of Speech | Blogs for Everyone.
XV.NET - Lawyer/Attorney Directory.
aboyd

Post by aboyd »

dcz wrote: Well, how is it after two days debugging you claim to have a stable release, where this script was never fully stable before.

*shrug*

Version 0.2.4b is working well for me, on multiple production forums.
dcz wrote: Please advices users this is beta stage and cannot be called stabe and reliable.

When you release your version, you can call it whatever you want. Version 0.2.4b is not perfect, but I'm not going to downplay the work I did, either. Besides, we're posting in the "BETA Blog Mod" topic, and I think that provides plenty of counterbalance.
dcz wrote: Cause it could work great and still have some great sec issues, what will you tell to those who'd trusted you thinking it's stable and reliable ?

If version 0.2.4b has "some great sec issues" I will tell people to blame you, for not testing it enough.

I'm only half joking. There are people here who have contributed code. There are people here who gave me bug reports (or reports that it's working, which are also valuable). But all you did was complain about Hardworking, or complain about me.

So, half-joking. Of course it is silly to say that I would blame you. But it is not silly to note that open source relies on the community. And you did not contribute, even as people around you were posting bug reports, etc. If you're worried about the product's stability, you had a perfect chance to help out, and you didn't take it.

-Tony
dcz

Post by dcz »

All right. See your point.
I guess mine was not clear enough.

I won't bother any of you with this anymore, at least I have tryed ....

But I cannot let you tell what I did say was not for this mods best. Coding is not the only thing to do I think.

Besides I do contribute to this community and if I never had time to work on this mod so far, still I am interested in how things are going and followwed its dev since quite a while.

All I hope is it's going to work fine.

And again, my point did not change since this : http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=333436

And you'll agree this was for this mods best, and it was not coding.

++

candysmall

Post by candysmall »

I don't see the big deal here... obviously the post you pointed out was going no where. If aboyd didn't step up who would? And this may het Hardworking on the right track to get things right now.
dcz

Post by dcz »

candysmall wrote: obviously the post you pointed out was going no where.

Well it did ... here.

candysmall

Post by candysmall »

I just saying that what aboyd did was probably something more than just the coding... it may also get this thing going again.
dcz

Post by dcz »

Exactly, and actually I think what he did is just great.

It's just a pity his work is not made official so that there would be less confusion. And we still don't know what is going to happend with the hardworking version ? In case of update, will it be possible to do so for people with aboyd's version ?
But I already said that, and actually my concern also goes for respecting aboyd's work, it would just be too bad if what he did ends up not being used in the next official release and worst if there are issues with coming back to the official for those who used his.

I know this is a beta thread, we all know this mod is being used on live sites.

++

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

::edit::
Nevermind, I want to move on. seems as there has been about 50 more quieries added to index.php, anyone notice this on thier footer stats?

::edit:: Alright, I restored my old funtions_weblog.php file back and the 40-50 extra queries are gone. anyone know what changes were made to the new functions_weblog.php file? I know that the fix homeskillet posted some 6 pages back or so, has been added to the new functions_weblog.php. so I know that fix is already there.
WilLoW :--)

Post by WilLoW :--) »

dcz wrote: It's just a pity his work is not made official so that there would be less confusion.

I sort of think it's been made official, since download links to 0.24 have been replaced with download links to 0.24b...
So the "confusion" has lasted like 1 day, no big deal :wink:

I still think a sourceforge project or a cvs would be the best thing to do for this mod !!!
.../...
yofx

Post by yofx »

I think a lot of people have been confused lately with this MOD. But the download is now updated so the confusion should be over for this release.
aboyd

Post by aboyd »

Peter77sx wrote: Alright, I restored my old funtions_weblog.php file back and the 40-50 extra queries are gone. anyone know what changes were made to the new functions_weblog.php file? I know that the fix homeskillet posted some 6 pages back or so, has been added to the new functions_weblog.php. so I know that fix is already there.

Are you sure? I can't find homeskillet's changes in the file.

-Tony
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Hmm, I must of gotten my files mixed. so no, the fix is not in the new update. I guess it was never added!

So if anyone is experiencing high sql queries, try this fix here by Homeskillet. http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 31#1954431 this will knock your queries down significantly.

I just did the fix to the functions_weblog.php in the .24b upgrade and it works fine.
NGLeader

Post by NGLeader »

Peter77sx.

Do you know when you will start making it template driven.

I had the old version that was template driven, but my cd disk got corrupted.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Hi, sorry... that is not my code. I was just pointing to the link that helps us get rid of unnecessary high queries to our forum index.php or portal pages.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”