[BETA] Friends Mod 0.1.0a

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 »

Nice modification indeed, when it releases ill surely use it :)
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect
jasonago

About broken links

Post by jasonago »

Please tell me if the links are broken and what specific download is broken.
Some users here have told me that it is broken...I believe it wasn't. My friends were already downloaded it...

But anyways, please tell it to me still...
jasonago

hehe

Post by jasonago »

DeViAnThans3 wrote: Nice modification indeed, when it releases ill surely use it :)

Well you can use it already even if it is still in beta stage...but the risk are yours...
kapengbarako

Post by kapengbarako »

you can download the mod at http://phpbbpinoy.dalipit.com
phpBB Network :: Pinoy Sites :: Isulong Web Directory :: Viral Videos

Forums are made to bring people together, not to divide them - kapengbarako
vaninam

Broken Links

Post by vaninam »

I'm not too clear when you say links are broken, what that refers to, but I did stumble on a problem (perhaps I made an error during the manual changes to the various files).

Here is my forum, where you can see the error. Look at the little "Friends" icon. It shows the % instead of a name (actually since no one is logged in, what should it say since there is no name to show?)

http://www.myeflora.com/WebSite/Forum/index.php

If you would be so kind, could you tell me which file to fix this error in?

Thanks -- I absolutely love this MOD! Extremely useful and fun addition.
kapengbarako

Post by kapengbarako »

there's nothing wrong with your installation of the Friends Mod, the reason why the names do not appear is because of the Blog Mod that is also installed. It create's a confusion for the parser when it accesses the language file. Will figure it out. In the meantime, just change the {L_FRIENDS} in your overall_header.tpl with a custom link like "View Friends".
phpBB Network :: Pinoy Sites :: Isulong Web Directory :: Viral Videos

Forums are made to bring people together, not to divide them - kapengbarako
jasonago

%

Post by jasonago »

kapengbarako was right...it is because of the blog mod...
the blog mod has its own lang file (weblog_lang.php i think ?) and it was included after the main lang file of phpbb...

manual editing I think will do...
vaninam

Fixing Friends MOD

Post by vaninam »

I was able to edit the top link, as suggested above. But I am an amateur :oops: , how do I fix the other areas where the % signs appear? (such as inside the Friend's page?). I included a list of other road blocks I've encountered, but first I want to say that already the Friend mod is fantastic!! I can't wait to get it working 100%. If anyone has an opportunity, can you advise on these things too?

Other issues I've encountered:
- "Invite More Friends" through the email link doesn't work properly - the person receiving it is taken to registration page, but from there the friend invite doesn't exist (after registering, it should the friend automatically, right?)

- How do you see pending Friend invites?

- Where does the "friend of a friend..., etc" appear? (the degrees of friendship). I don't see this. Is this also an error occurring because of the blog mod?

- I don't see this feature: "extra information has link to a list of people who share the same infomation (ie: same favorite song, etc.) "

- I don't see anything that has changed in my admin area - did the blog interfere with this too? I can't utilize any of the admin features as a result.

Thanks so much for this MOD, and any advice you can give me!! :D
Blitze

Mod features

Post by Blitze »

pretty neat mod. I tried it on my board but I have some issues. How do you invite or add already existing members of the board as your friends, given that the invite by email brings you to registration. Is this more like a referral system or can existing members be added? Also, when you delete a member, they still show up as a friend and when you try to delete them, you get the message:
Not Friends

DEBUG MODE

Line : 194
File : friends.php

Any help will be appreciated. :wink:

Thanks
vaninam

Inviting existing users

Post by vaninam »

Hi, Blitze! I noticed that to invite existing users, you have to go into their proifle, such as through the Forum's "Memberlist" icon. Then, click on the user's name to view their profile, and then you can add them to your friend list from their profile page.

That is how I have done it to-date anyway. I thought it would be a good idea to invite existing members directly from the "Friend's" page, but I don't know how to do that. :D
Blitze

some bug fixes

Post by Blitze »

I noticed that to invite existing users, you have to go into their proifle, such as through the Forum's "Memberlist" icon. Then, click on the user's name to view their profile, and then you can add them to your friend list from their profile page.

Thanks alot vaninam. I didn't notice that.
Works great except for some bugs in the v0.1.0a.
database error

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table 'xxxx_db.PHPBB_USERS' doesn't exist

select * FROM phpbb_friends_pending, PHPBB_USERS WHERE phpbb_friends_pending.to_id = 2 AND phpbb_friends_pending.from_id = 5 AND PHPBB_USERS.user_id = phpbb_friends_pending.from_id

Line : 53
File : snw_add.php

Could not query usernames

DEBUG MODE

SELECT * FROM PHPBB_USERS WHERE user_id = '2'

Line : 279

Could not query usernames

DEBUG MODE

SELECT * FROM PHPBB_USERS, phpbb_friends_comments WHERE phpbb_friends_comments.id = '1' AND PHPBB_USERS.user_id = phpbb_friends_comments.from_id

Line : 392

when you try to approve or add a friend. To fix this replace all occurrences of PHPBB_USERS with USERS_TABLE in friends.php and includes/snw_add.php.

Also, when click on the link to add comment in viewprofile, there is an additional "\" at the end of the link that causes an error "user does not exist". Changing

Code: Select all

$friends_info = sprintf($lang['Are_friends'], $profiledata['username']) . "&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=\"friends.php?mode=comment&u=" . $profiledata['user_id'] . '\">' . $lang['Add_comment'] . '</a><br>';
to

$friends_info = sprintf($lang['Are_friends'], $profiledata['username']) . "&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=\"friends.php?mode=comment&u=" . $profiledata['user_id'] . '">' . $lang['Add_comment'] . '</a><br>';
on includes/usercp_viewprofile.php should do the trick.

Thanks
beggers

Post by beggers »

This looks great, but one question. Are you saying that people manually add friends or is there some algorythm that tries to figure it out? Thanks.
vaninam

Thanks for fix

Post by vaninam »

Thanks for posting the fix to those errors. If you find anymore, please post, since that is extremely helpful! :D

Does anyone else get the errors I posted above (like 3 posts ago)? If so, have you discovered any fixes? If anyone could help me out, that would be great. Also, when I put a bad email address, I get this error:

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php

Thanks for your help.

-Vanina
Blitze

Re: Fixing Friends MOD

Post by Blitze »

Hello vaninam,

I see you're as interested as I am in this mod. I'll try to help on your previous post.
"Invite More Friends" through the email link doesn't work properly - the person receiving it is taken to registration page, but from there the friend invite doesn't exist (after registering, it should the friend automatically, right?)

Something might be wrong with your installation because it works on mine. When I invite by email, and they click on the link and register, they are listed as my friend. check your installation of usercp_register.php.
How do you see pending Friend invites?
If you invite an already existing member of your board, when they login, a popup appears informing them of an invite awaiting approval. Clicking on the link on the box takes them to a form to approve or decline the invitation.
I don't see anything that has changed in my admin area - did the blog interfere with this too? I can't utilize any of the admin features as a result.
There is a change in admin area. check your left menu it is "Edit User Info Types " under "General Admin".
I don't see this feature: "extra information has link to a list of people who share the same infomation (ie: same favorite song, etc.) "
I believe this feature is embedded in the idea above where you can add other fields like "favorite food" by going to "Edit User Info Types" mensioned above. If you notice, info like "age", "gender", etc are displayed as links in the profile, allowing you to search for members with similar info. You can also do this on the "search friends".
Where does the "friend of a friend..., etc" appear? (the degrees of friendship). I don't see this. Is this also an error occurring because of the blog mod?
That I donot see either. I noticed some code was commented out in usercp_viewprofile.php around the lines:

if( !$are_friends && !$total_common_friends )
{
I would love to see this feature implemented as well.
Hope this was of some help.

It would also be great to have the possibility of creating an ignore or ban list. Any ideas?

jasonago

Bugs

Post by jasonago »

Bug Advisory

Hello guys, there are a lot of actions taking place in here...
Anyways, I'll try to explain some of them here...

Friends of friends connection
You will see this in View profile of any members. If your forum already has many members, if you login to your account and try to view profiles of other members, that's the only time you will see 'Your connection' to that member.

Explicit Add a friend feature
I am now working on that. I know it's a hassle to go to a member's profile page and click 'Add to my friends' everytime you want to invite. So like the email invites, in future releases of this mod, an explicit add a friend page will be included

The Additional \ in 'Add comments'
I think it was already fixed. I'll check on to that...

SQL queries on weary
It is more of your local setting that's in faulty but I'll still check on to that.

Deleted friends not deleted
Huh? I'll check that but I think this was already solved. Are you sure that what you've downloaded was the friends mod? The original SNW mod has all this bug...

I know I've already dealt on to them

But I'll still check it...

The % in Friends Link
This is caused by the blog mod. The better pill is to redefine how the language file of the blogmod works. I mean change one line from it and that's it. I'll post a formal literature on this some time...

Bad Email address
Nothing to do with it. Its the phpbb internal codes that's in work (or in fail). But because of this, I'll try to put some checks to those email ads. Actually I haven't explored how the 'Email invites' of the friends mod works. I'm to busy debugging other things and forgot this feature. But I'll try to furnish things up.

Conclusion
Although this advisory has no code suggestions (because other members have already posted solutions) It will still prompt me to further check all the codes. In the next release of this mod it will be better because I will try to change the main algorithm that controls how the friends mod will work.

Sorry for some inconvenience...

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”