[ABD] AJAXed (MMW)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
*=Matt=*

[ABD] AJAXed (MMW)

Post by *=Matt=* »

Don't install on a live environment. There is a major bug that well be fixed soon.

MOD Title: AJAXed
MOD Description: AJAXed is a mod that has came from the MODings Most Wanted. Integrates AJAX into phpBB to edit posts inline and various other things.
MOD Version: ???
MOD Download: ???
Last Stable version: ???

Demo Board: http://www.ajaxed.glitchvault.com/dev/
Demo Username: Testers
Demo Password: testing

If you would like to test some of these features out. You can download it here.
As wGEric said in his post, "Do not use in a live environment. 0.0.1 has a serious security exploit in it." :P
Last edited by *=Matt=* on Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:58 am, edited 90 times in total.
Wyld

Post by Wyld »

Advice: The PM User List could get insane with boards with large numbers of users. I would recommend incorporating some form of pause (say 2-3 seconds) where it waits for user input before grabbing the information.

So, rather than user typing [A] and getting all A* .. and then [AB] and getting all AB* .. it waits so the user can enter AB.

Just a thought that I saw raised in a discussion area somewhere.
Weaving the Web since 1492
*=Matt=*

Post by *=Matt=* »

Wyld wrote: Advice: The PM User List could get insane with boards with large numbers of users. I would recommend incorporating some form of pause (say 2-3 seconds) where it waits for user input before grabbing the information.

So, rather than user typing [A] and getting all A* .. and then [AB] and getting all AB* .. it waits so the user can enter AB.

Just a thought that I saw raised in a discussion area somewhere.

Yeah greate idea. What I thought of doing was just grab about 10 or some names from the database. Do I like your idea and ill try it.
*=Matt=*

Post by *=Matt=* »

I got just premission to use Sephiseraph's mod Ajax Edit Post MOD in this too or parts of it. I'll see if I can get a small demo up of some of these things tonight if i can do anything on my labtop.
Last edited by *=Matt=* on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyld

Post by Wyld »

Excellent. If you wish, I can put a base install of phpbb on my linux boxen at home for testing of this MOD. I do think it's something which will be of great use to the community.

I'm also sure once the base mod is done there would be additional little things that could be added using the base codeset.
Weaving the Web since 1492
Alexander the Great

Post by Alexander the Great »

How about a feature where if you were viewing a topic, it automaticly updates if someone makes a new post (without refreshing)?
DKing

Post by DKing »

Alexander the Great... sounds great. Matt, all you'd have to to for that is put up a META refresh and set it to do a javascript export of a PHP function that checks the database. Or it can be an every-few-seconds check in the actual function.

I'm liking the sound of this mod! I may make my upcoming mod ajaxed too! :D
-DKing
Latest phpBB Version: 2.0.21
Search For a MOD: MOD Search
cifroes

Post by cifroes »

Hi,

I have lots of sugestions for this kind of mod, sometime ago i tought about doing it myself mostly for moderation/administration stuff.

Here are some features i would like to have:

View Topic:
- Delete message - just click on X and "message deleted", When i need to delete several messages from a topic this is useful
- Move topic - click something, a dropdown list appears, choose the forum and poof.

View forum:
- Delete topic
- Move topic - click on something, a dropdown list appears, choose the forum and poof.

Will post more sugestions when i remember them :) Mostly I think Ajax can improve the mods productivity. Just think about the everyday tasks a mod do and how you can speed that up.

Good luck on this one :)
sonicunion

Post by sonicunion »

Alexander the Great wrote: How about a feature where if you were viewing a topic, it automaticly updates if someone makes a new post (without refreshing)?

Now, there's a small problem with this idea. The most sensible way to do this would to send a request to the server every so often to update the page. Good idea, but could cause excessive server load. Maybe set a flood limit on a per-user basis (per-IP for guests)?

Oh aye, and was wondering: what, if any, AJAX libraries are you planning on using? I quite like Dojo but it is probably unneccesarily heavy for this kind of job. Maybe have a look at Sajax or HAJAX for the minimilistically inclined.
laters: alanc
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

I personally suggest Sajax.

But stay away from v0.10 you need 0.11

too bad it has a lot of bugs... that's why I'm using a spruced up version of it, unofficially called v0.12, I'll share if you need it.
*=Matt=*

Post by *=Matt=* »

While at school I came up with some more features like whenever someone is looking for a username the PM user list well come up. Like when a admin is looking for a user to edit or when the group moderator is looking for a member's name to add.

Wyld: Thank You for the offer but I have hosting already lined up thanks anyways. Yeah when the base mod is done I am going have addon for other mods to use AJAXed. like the topic rating and ect.

Alexander the Great: Greate Idea! I'm just alittle worried about how it well update the html coding but hey I'll figure it out. And the another thing would be the server load like sonicunion said. Im going to put your idea in the pending list because I well need time to plan that out.

DKing: Thank you for the help :)

cifroes: Some more geate ideas. Only thing i have a problem is should the list of the forums be in every topic row on viewing the forums or just I have javascript make the list when called.

sonicunion: Thank you for your help too. Im using Sajax. I'll do alittl more research on different types of ajax.

Swizec: Yeah that would be awsome. Just send it to me when you have some time.
Alexander the Great

I found a mod request from a long time ago (before ajax was popular) that is similar to this mod.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=187063

some interesting ideas.
michi50

Post by michi50 »

this mod is a good idea!!
Good luck
*=Matt=*

Post by *=Matt=* »

Alexander the Great: I have tried to make phpBB all ajaxed but didnt get a whole of time but I did make it so the user profile pops up on top. You can check it out here(Click any username anywhere. The only problem I had was the template variables so i put the html in the hard coding of the php. When I get done with the based there well be ALOT of addons for all sorta of mod for this. I'll think of doing the whole phpbb in ajax again.

I talked to my dad yesterday and he said he has got a hard drive and he well be sending it to me as soon as he can ;)
Alexander the Great

Just to let you know you should make it so when you click on profile it scrolls you up to the part of the page with it, or have it expand below the post.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”