Why submit your MODs to the MOD Database?

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Why submit your MODs to the MOD Database?

Post by wGEric »

Lately we have noticed that a lot of authors aren't taking advantage of submitting their MODs to the MOD Database. We do know this process takes some time and can be tiresome. We are doing our best to refine the system and speed MODs through.

Here are some reasons why authors should submit their MODs to the MOD Database
  • A free, brief security audit
    The MOD Team checks for security issues that may be in your MOD. We aren't perfect and may miss some vulnerable code.
  • Brief bug hunting
    MODs are briefly checked for bugs in the code. Less bugs will mean users won't have as many problems with using your MOD. We can't promise that we will find every bug.

We also check to make sure you aren't using php functions that aren't supported by phpBB. This will make it so that users don't wonder why the MOD isn't working on their setups and it works for everyone else.
  • Following a standard makes everything easier
    We require MODs to follow a standard which makes it easier for users to install, easier for you, the author, to read the code, and it will also help lessen conflicts between MODs.
  • Free hosting for the MOD's files
    When the MOD is approved, the file to download it will be hosted for free here at phpBB.com
  • More people will use your MOD
    MODs that are in the MOD Database adhere to a strict standard. Users know this so users feel safer and more willing to install MODs from the Database. Often users are weary of installing a MOD still in development because it may have problems.

We require MODs in the Database to follow the DBAL, Template system, and use $lang variables (fully translatable) which means more users will be able to use your MOD.
  • More exposure
    More people will view your MOD. Often people come here to phpBB.com looking for MODifications. This is the main phpBB site so we get lots of people browsing the site including the MODs Database.
  • Reviewed by experienced coders
    The MOD Team consists of experienced MOD Team members that have written many MODs. We review every MOD for free and give tips on how to improve your MODs.
  • MODs are tested with EasyMOD
    Most MODs within the database are able to be installed using EasyMOD on a vanilla install of phpBB. With most MODs, if it doesn't install using EasyMOD on a vanilla phpBB, then something is wrong with the MOD.
We hope every author takes the time to submit their MODs to the MOD Database and do what is needed to get them approved. Do this not only for yourself but for the phpBB Community. Thanks!
Last edited by wGEric on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
PeteMan

Post by PeteMan »

We are doing our best to refine the system and speed MODs through.

This is very frustrating! I appreciate that you guys are doing your best however with a few iterations of checking, correcting, it's gonna take a hell of a long time for a mod to be approved (mine was re-submitted over two weeks ago). Is there any way that we can see how close our mods are to the top of the pile?

Thanks, Pete
Classified Ads mod for phpBB (demo).
Amazon Store mod for phpBB (demo).
Wo1f

Post by Wo1f »

The short answer is no. It takes on average 10 to 15 work days. Factors such as workload and mod size may also prolong your waiting period. The only information available for the status of your mod, aside a direct reply from the MOD Team, is located here:

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/mods_stats.php

Patience is your friend, as the approval process is more exhaustive than most mod authors realize.

Hope this is helpful,
Wolf
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

MOD Authors are encouraged to read the documentation and make use of the MOD Development Forum to try and get the bugs out of their MOD before submitting to the MOD DB.

A small amount of reading and extra work can make a huge difference to how quickly your MOD will be validated and wether it will be denied or not.
Systems Engineering
evepowr

Post by evepowr »

There is no way to get it approved faster than the 10-15 day marked lets say if i wanted to get something demoed so i can get it released in time for the holidays?
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Our validators validate the MODs in the queue as fast as they can. I guess you could put in a request, but validators usually choose their own pace and try to go in order of submitted MODs.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Felixr

Does anyone really read this subject? I guess no. If you rea

Post by Felixr »

If my MOD had been valiadated before, and had been declined, Will it take less time to re-valiadate it now?
The message above was created by Felixr.
All rights reserved.
Do not copy anything from it without permission.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Re: Does anyone really read this subject? I guess no. If you

Post by igorw »

Felixr wrote: If my MOD had been valiadated before, and had been declined, Will it take less time to re-valiadate it now?

If the changes are small, and you ask them to, it might... At least it used to be that way, i think. You should wait for an official confirmation though.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
Wicher

Post by Wicher »

What realy would be a great help to me, is to be able to view a list here at phpbb of mods i submitted to the mods database.
And ofcourse if the are aproved, or in progress or denied or any information more there is about a submitted mod.
I would want this because sometimes i am not real sure if i submitted it yes or no, so being able to view such a list would prevent me from submitting twice the same thing, or prevent me from not submittng at all in case i think i submitted it allready.
Electra736

Post by Electra736 »

Wicher

Post by Wicher »

Darn, why did'nt i know that?
Now i feel stupid... :oops:
Wicher

Post by Wicher »

However, i did submit a mod today, but its not showing up in the "My Submitted MODs" section.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Wicher wrote: However, i did submit a mod today, but its not showing up in the "My Submitted MODs" section.

It takes a while ;)
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
Wicher

Post by Wicher »

I thought that was it.
Being a guy that likes to see result on the fly is not easy sometimes...
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

The way it was explained to me, your submission doesn't show up on the "mods stats" page until a validator takes a look at it. So if it has been submitted but never opened (doesn't mean reviewed, just opened) it won't show up on the list.

It would be nice if it did. ;-)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”