[BETA] Automatic Database backup

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
killyouall

Post by killyouall » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:06 am

Wingzfan wrote: as of right now it only backs up the sql and not the files or folders. Im hoping someone will make that happen.

um it does go into the contrib folder and its in there lol silly person

Wingzfan

Post by Wingzfan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:27 pm

This is the point where I would like to declare that I am a idiot and never looked in there lol. Thank you :oops:

Wingzfan

Post by Wingzfan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:52 pm

how many zips does it keep? Ive got my database backup set to only keep 4 copies but the file backup doesnt have that option.

denskie war

Post by denskie war » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:56 pm

I keep getting this error:

These are my DB tables:

What do i need to change?

kkroo

Post by kkroo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:43 pm

Sorry people for no replies. I was busy lately and I didnt get a topic reply notification in my email soo... I'll take a look at each of your issues when I get some time. I'll deal with the easiest first. denskie war, you are getting this error because you made your table called phpbb1_backup but the script is look for a table names phpbb1backup due to your phpBB database extension. So just rename to table so it looks for the right one.

For the people that are looking for backing up their files, it is in the contrib directory. I do not encourage you to use the script on a account that has many files because the script might not support it.

For the people with high server loads, this script is very diverse. First off, it must execute a query to get the table names in your phpBB database, then it will execute another query for EACH one of the tables to get its structure which is the CREATE TABLE query. then a SELECT query is performed for each one of the tables too to make the INSERT INTO queries, which may take a lot of time if you have a large forum and for sure puts a lot of strain on the MySQL server. As you see it is pretty complicated.
If anybody has and ideas on how to make it put less strain on the server, im listening.
For now, I recomend you exclude uneeded tables such as the search tables which is usually more than half of your database. They can be regenerated using MODS that are out there. I would also exclude tables like logging tables, if you have a mod that does so because they also take up a lot of memory. I will be looking myself on how to reduse the server load.

If you the script isnt obeying the file limit you supplied, this is because the script is not running throught completely due to a PHP error. This may be because is exceeded the PHP error limit to keep the server load down. To prevent this from happening, I recomend you doing the same as above. I will look into that a bit more too.

Thanks, and sorry for the late reply
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image

denskie war

Post by denskie war » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:52 pm

hi kkroo, thanks for your help.
But if you look al little bit lower on my tabels list, you see a tabel named phpbb1backup.

So i have the tabel, but it isnt working

* EDIT *
I have deleted all the tables and did the sql again.
I simple changed the phpbb_backup to phpbb1backup and now it workd fine (ill hope)

Im now going to test if it makes backups, thanks for your help!

kkroo

Post by kkroo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:58 am

No problem :D
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image

Ultima-X97

Post by Ultima-X97 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:26 pm

Hey kkroo, its finally good to have you back. I really like this mod, but the matter of the fact is that it uses way to much CPU power and cuases servers to fail. What do you think you can do about it?

killyouall

Post by killyouall » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:28 pm

whoot glad your back

maby you can find a forum that gives you pointers on it or something

kkroo

Post by kkroo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:56 pm

Hopefully this forum can :P
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image

Ultima-X97

Post by Ultima-X97 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:30 pm

so you wouldn't know of anyway to do it. Just make it like the regular CRON JOB or something like that.

kkroo

Post by kkroo » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:01 pm

The thing about this mod is that it is suppost to support users who arent offered cron in their hosting. It also isnt cron.php that is causing the system overload, it is auto_backup.php. I looked at a few thing about backing up, there is a query that can be ran so that a table can be exported to a file. But the thing about it is that I dont think it is on the older versions of mysql and it only supports mysql. Im still looking around, hopefully something will show up.
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image

denskie war

Post by denskie war » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:21 pm

im having again a problem.

I entered my e-mail adress but i dont get any e-mails.
I also turned the spam filter off but still no e-mail

kkroo

Post by kkroo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:29 pm

Is your host permitted to send emails? Try disabling the send email function and seeing if you will recieve an email without the attachment. If so, let me know.
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image

denskie war

Post by denskie war » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:51 pm

Yes my host can send e-mails.
If i register a new user, a e-mail is sent.
I also can send e-mail through my host to myself.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”