[RC4] GYM Sitemaps & RSS (aka mx Google Sitemaps)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
achievehigh.org

Re: [RC4] GYM Sitemaps & RSS (aka mx Google Sitemaps)

Post by achievehigh.org »

Peter77sx, thanks for replying.
Before installing the GYM Sitemaps V1-2-0RC4, I installed the mixed_mod_rewriteV0-2-4 also written by Dcz.

I have a question about the "ggs_style" folder.
Question 6:
The instructions under "phpbb install" in the file "gym_sitemapsV1-2-0RC4.txt" says,
1) Upload root/ggs_style/*.* where rss.php and sitemap.php are installed.
The *.* part indicates the files inside the "ggs_style" folder and not the folder "ggs_style" itself should go inside the "forums" folder where I put the rss.php and sitemap.php. At first, I uploaded the entire folder "ggs_style" onto treatwidevision.us/forums but my web host's technician said I had to take all the files inside the folder "ggs_style" out and put them inside treatwidevision.us/forums instead then I deleted the now empty folder "ggs_style." I did not want to do that because I was not sure so I discussed with him about the folder "ggs_style" further. However, he told me that he used a new forum board to test the mod but got an error when he put the folder "ggs_style" (plus the files inside it) in the forums folder but did not get an error when he tried to put only the files of the folder "ggs_style," not the folder itself, inside the forums folder. I then followed his instructions because I did not want to experience the error he said he got and the installation went through successfully. I read your instructions and you say do not take the files out of the folder "ggs_style" but put the entire folder "ggs_style" inside treatwidevision.us/forums. So, what to do now? Please clarify because this part confuses me.
I really want to finish this GYM Sitemaps V1-2-0RC4 mod so I can install the next mod.

Question 7: template/skin and all mods
If I change to another forum skin, do I have to go back to all parts related to the template for all of the mods that require me to make the changes inside the subSilver skin and modify that part of the code inside the new template like how I did for the current Flower Power skin? That would be troublesome because it is hard to keep track of everything. I do not want to use the same forum skin Flower Power forever and do not like the subSilver skin because it looks too plain and even boring. I feel the same way as some people have expressed their feelings toward the subSilver skin. What is your suggestion regarding this template question and all mods that ask me to change the code inside the template?

Thanks.
dcz

Post by dcz »

You're asking yourself to many questions ;)

Try something simple, set up a test board and you'll see this module really is easy to install. As well, first try the default install, and then, you'll see better if you need to change some things.

The *.* indicate all files, since we ask to upload root/ggs_style/*.*, you need to upload the ggs_style/ folder with all it's content, that's all.

For the templates, as with all mods, templates change are to be made for all templates. That's why it can be more convenient to build up a style based on subsilver (even if very different) when you only use one.

++

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS
achievehigh.org

Dcz, thanks for your reply.
I feel that I ask myself good questions to help understand your mod better and to help prevent errors. It's my first time ever trying this mod so it's not as easy to me as to the mod author or those who have installed it several times on different forums.
I started installing this mod around 5PM on Sun Aug 5 and finished installing it with the help of the web host technicians the following morning before 6AM on Mon Aug 6 (continuous work). See how much I was engaged in installing this mod. Like I said, my web host technician already set up a brand new phpbb forum and tested this [RC4] GYM Sitemaps & RSS mod but he told me to take out all of the files inside the folder "ggs_style" and put them in my "forums" folder treatwidevision.us/forums because when he put the folder "ggs_style" with its files inside the forum folder, he got an error. Thus, I followed his advice at that time and only uploaded the files (Not the folder) from the folder "ggs_style" onto my forums folder treatwidevision.us/forums and the result said the installation was successful. However, you and Peter77sx told me to upload the folder "ggs_style," too, not just the files inside that folder. According to both of your instructions, I did not do this particular step in the mod correctly but still got the installation through successfully. So, what should I do now? I already run the MySQL database part of the GYM Sitemaps and RSS mod. Do I need to uninstall the MySQL part and perform from that ggs_style upload step again and then run the MySQL part again or the installation was really successful with no further attention needed? Please help. Reminder: All of these 3 files sitemap.php, rss.php and urllist.php are inside my "forums" folder treatwidevision.us/forums. You suggested users of your mod in your first post to check before submitting the site maps to Google and yahoo. Please check my forum and inform me what I need to do next. I haven't continued on with the next mod (stuck with this mod) and will wait for your reply to find out what I need to do next.

Anyone who can help with my situation, please help.
Last edited by achievehigh.org on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
achievehigh.org

It has been 9 days already. Can someone please help me? I am stuck with this mod and already presented my situation right above. I am desperate for help although I don't want to say that. Please help.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

You know, usually when one downloads a MOD that is supported or available to download from this site, phpbb.com, usually the MOD is packaged in the order it will be uploaded into your phpbb directory.

When you open up this MOD what do you see?

When you see what's inside the "root" folder, do you notice how everything is placed nice and neat?

That is the way it should be uploaded into your phpbb root folder. Nice and clean and not having all those files in gg_styles cluttered up in your phpbb directory. I am sure dcz does not write up MODs in order for them "not to work". You seem to be distracted by what someone outside of phpbb community is telling you. You should post your errors of what you see, past and copy your errors so that we may help figure out what is going on.

And by the way, your sitemap.php seems to be wroking just fine. your rss.php seems to be working fine. your urllist.php seems to be outputting the URLs.
Your sitemap, I assume you are having issues with beacuse it does not look "right"? have you submitted to google sitemaps, have you created an account with google sitemaps for that matter? When you upload your sitemap.php to google, it will let you know of errors. even though you may not be happy with the way your sitemap looks like, it wouldn't matter since really it is not "useful" content for community members, it is mostly for search engines.( the mx_sitemap MOD in which you build links, is another story. )
Anyway, I've used a couple of so called 'sitemap validating tools', and so far I haven't come up with any errors. you can google "validate sitemaps" see for yourself.

Have you done any configurations in your Admin control panel to this MOD?
I know it's not fun editing templates each-and-every-single-time you change theme styles to you forum, but that's part of what it's about. using FTP makes life a little easier. :geek:
achievehigh.org

Peter77sx, thanks for your reply with the screen captures and for validating my sitemaps.
Peter77sx wrote:You should post your errors of what you see, past and copy your errors so that we may help figure out what is going on.
I did not have errors. After executing the MySQL part of the mod "RC 4 GYM Sitemaps & RSS," the result said the mod installation was successful although I did not perform that one step correctly as Dcz and you have explained. I took all of the files out of the folder "ggs_style" and put it in treatwidevision.us/forums folder. I am still trying to figure out the procedure of submitting my sitemaps to Google search engine. If Google tells me I have any errors then I will post them here to seek more help on this mod.

Peter77sx wrote:Have you done any configurations in your Admin control panel to this MOD?
I asked my web host technician that same day Monday August 6, 07 but he/she told me to leave the configuration default. I did not know what the best settings would be so I did not change any configuration in the Admin control panel for this Mod. I left it as it was right after installing the mod. So, what are the best configurations that I should set in the Admin control panel for this mod?

Peter77sx wrote:Your sitemap, I assume you are having issues with because it does not look "right"?
Yes, one of the concerns was why my sitemap does not look exactly like that in Dcz's example on the first page of this thread. I asked my web host technicians why my page http://www.treatwidevision.us/forums/sitemaps.xml does not look exactly* like this example page http://www.phpbb-seo.com/boards/sitemaps.xml of the mod author Dcz. They replied, "The sitemap on http://www.treatwidevision.us/forums/sitemaps.xml is different than the one shown on http://www.phpbb-seo.com/boards/sitemaps.xml because the xml script generated is different, the one on http://www.phpbb-seo.com/boards/sitemaps.xml have a xml-stylesheet tag so it has images on the page."
So, the sitemaps' different appearances do not matter?

Note: I will come back to show you the screen captures of what I see at http://www.treatwidevision.us/forums/sitemaps.xml and Dcz's example sitemap http://www.phpbb-seo.com/boards/sitemaps.xml. If you clicked on my forum URLs above and they do not work, please try again later (but soon).

Question: The plugins were introduced on the first page of this thread as follows:
PlugIns :

* [PlugIn] GYM Sitemaps XML :
Will incorporate easily sitemaps (must be valid Google sitemap) to your GYM Sitemaps Google sitemaps listings.
* [PlugIn] GYM Sitemaps TXT :
To incorporate easily url txt lists (one URL per line) to your GYM Sitemaps Google sitemaps.
I don't really understand the functions of the plugins when I already installed "RC4 GYM Sitemaps & RSS." Please help me understand.
When do I install these plugins? Can I install these plugins now?

Edit Wed Aug 29, 07:
After installing your RC4 GYM Sitemaps & RSS for a few days, I noticed the page ranking displayed at the top of my Internet Explorer version 6.0.29 (the same rank on alexa.com) for my forum http://www.treatwidevision.us/forums and all of my sites is exactly the same although each site and forum has its own traffic. Is the mod supposed to make the page ranking of my forum and all of my sites hosted by treatwidevision.us the same throughout like that? A few days later, the page ranking improved to 220,494 and again the forum and every other site hosted by the same domain decreased by the same number. It looks strange though because the page ranking of the forum affects the page ranking of all of my other sites hosted by treatwidevision.us but each site has its own focus. I am not sure what to do to get the correct page ranking of each site; I want to see how well each site is ranked.
dcz

Post by dcz »

Sorry for the delay, I was really busy with phpBB3 SEO.
Anyway, I don't understand really what problem occurred when you tried to upload the ggs_style/ folder (with files in it) in your forum folder. The files in there are only used for styling the xml output of the mod (Google sitemaps and RSS 2.0 feeds). There are comparable to stylesheets, not scripts.
By default, le style (XSLt) is not activated, the file are only needed when it is activated.

And that's where we come to the interesting settings. The first one to car about is caching, if you properly CHModed the cache folder (there is a clear message about it in the GYM ACP), you can turn it on. The mod will then cost a lot fewer resource to your server since ot will cache the generated output for a configurable amount of time (sitemaps do not need to be updated more than once a day for example).

Then, the next one, is mod_rewrite. That's how we will be able to call sitemaps.xml instead of sitemap.php for example. This requires that you have the mod_rewrite Apache module loaded on your server and that you implement the rewriterules in your web site's .htaccess. The required things to do for this to work are few, and pretty easy, but, the concepts involved aren't really. You can use the mod without mod rewrite, Google will still accept sitemap.php as you sitemap index and will crawl the sitemaps.
The option only concerns the module's links, not the links to the forum listed by it.

And, in the end, you can think about activating styling, for both Google sitemaps and RSS feeds, that's where you'll need the ggs_stule/ folder and content ot be uploaded where sitemap.php is (same for rss.php). For rss feeds, you have an extra option about style to force the XSLt styling, since FF2 and IE7 will still output the feed with their private styling without it. When turned on, the styling only concerns the browsers, not bots, it looks like the one on the demo example.

Trust me, this mod is really easy to install and use, you just have to drop the root/ folder of the package in your phpBB install folder and run the install script. Option can take longer to be fully understood, that's where a test install can really help, since with faith, it's installed in no time ;)

Maybe you want to take a look at what we are on with phpBB3 : The phpBB3 SEO Premod

Most likely the most user friendly URL rewriting mod, next thing will be GYM sitemaps for phpBB3 ;)

++

1scholar

Post by 1scholar »

I've got these errors when trying to tun the db_install.php file. Any ideas?

Warning: main(./../../common.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in ......./public_html/garth/contrib/db_install.php on line 24

Warning: main(./../../common.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in ......./public_html/garth/contrib/db_install.php on line 24

Warning: main(): Failed opening './../../common.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in ......./public_html/garth/contrib/db_install.php on line 24

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in ......./public_html/garth/contrib/db_install.php on line 31

I'm a little frustrated now.

Thanks.
dcz

Post by dcz »

you just need to upload the install script (eg db_install.php) where phpBB is installed, and run it from there.
Install File wrote: 1) Upload root/ggs_style/*.* where rss.php and sitemap.php are installed.

2) CHMOD mx_ggsitemaps/gs_cache/ to 0777

3) Upload contrib/db_install.php to db_install.php

4) Connect yourself as admin and go to http://www.yourdomain.com/phpbb_folder/db_install.php to install the sql part

5) delete db_install.php.
++

1scholar

Post by 1scholar »

Installed. Thanks. I guess I was too tired last night for that instruction to click.

Thanks!!
Sultani

Post by Sultani »

hi, this mod seems to be a must have, but bad for me i cant make it work.

I think i made the right thing, but if he gives me this error when i open sitemap,php or rss.php something i messed up:

Erro no carregamento da folha de estilos: Ocorreu um erro de rede ao carregar uma folha de estilos XSLT:http://www.desinibidas.com/forum/forum/ ... /mxgss.xsl

The brownser says me that was an error while loading a style sheet,

But i could figure it out the reason, as you can see i have 2 paths forum/forum/ !

What could be wrong?

If you want to check my forum simple click on the first link on my sig (Atention
Adult Content )

Thanks in advance
Scraablee - Free Flash Games!

Sorry for my bad english ( Im american ) :D
Sultani

Post by Sultani »

i cant make this mod working!

Maybe someone could help me?

Thanks
Scraablee - Free Flash Games!

Sorry for my bad english ( Im american ) :D
nirvana43

Post by nirvana43 »

please help.. i'm getting these errors when i try to run db_install.php
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /db_install.php on line 34: main(./extension.inc) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /db_install.php on line 34: main(./extension.inc) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /db_install.php on line 34: main() [function.include]: Failed opening './extension.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php')

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: session_pagestart() in /home/projects/public_html/forums/db_install.php on line 35
& yeah.. my domain name is : http://www.projectsplanet.com
my forum is installed on http://www.forums.projectsplanet.com

& my database name is "projects"

but yeh.. i did necessary changes in files as u've given in docs.. but still i'm facing these errors when i execute db_install.php

plzzz plzzz help man!! :(
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

These stitemaps are for phpbb2, you are running phpbb3 :P
dcz

Post by dcz »

Sultani wrote:i cant make this mod working!

Maybe someone could help me?

Thanks
The style issue is just due to the fact you need to upload the gss_style/ dir (with files) in the same directory where rss.php and sitemap.php are located.

The means you need it two times in case you do not run rss.php and sitemap.php within the same directory.

++

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”