[RC4] GYM Sitemaps & RSS (aka mx Google Sitemaps)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Sultani

Re: [RC4] GYM Sitemaps & RSS (aka mx Google Sitemaps)

Post by Sultani »

dcz wrote:
Sultani wrote:i cant make this mod working!

Maybe someone could help me?

Thanks
The style issue is just due to the fact you need to upload the gss_style/ dir (with files) in the same directory where rss.php and sitemap.php are located.

The means you need it two times in case you do not run rss.php and sitemap.php within the same directory.

++

Thanks for reply, but i already got this working since few weeks ago.

I cant remember what was the problem atm, but i knew that i did everything like it said on instruction, i had to deactivate some option on acp to make this work.

Thanks anyway m8

Cheers
Scraablee - Free Flash Games!

Sorry for my bad english ( Im american ) :D
SuperFedya

Post by SuperFedya »

Hi
I cannot change encoding for RSS.
I chose windows-1251 in "Charset". But encoding still in utf-8.
Maybe i need to change something in "Char-set conversion method"?
Thanks!

Resolved.
ritunb

Post by ritunb »

Where's the RSS buttons? How could somebody subscribe the feed? Members should be able to add the feed in their RSS aggregators/readers..
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

That is the entire purpose of this MOD...
ritunb wrote:Members should be able to add the feed in their RSS aggregators/readers..
ritunb

Post by ritunb »

Peter77sx wrote:That is the entire purpose of this MOD...
ritunb wrote:Members should be able to add the feed in their RSS aggregators/readers..
I've downloaded the MOD and nowhere it mentiones to add any 'RSS buttons' in the header, footer or forum templates..I can see in the Admin Configuation, 2 fields mentioning the buttons and I can see the location of those buttons in the one of the folders. But nowhere I can see any instructions as to how add these buttons on the templates with a link of the feed..

There is no point in answering in one line. If you don't understand the question, please don't answer..
Uru Wolf

Post by Uru Wolf »

I have given up on this install file. You need to make sure that you clean up the install file, there is too much irrelivent information in it. Why not split it into three files: install, install with mxBB and a readme.
- UrW
phpBB newb tutorial (moding) || SupaNav (Side bar navagation) || PMail || Profile Blocks
If you can work out my location I will give you a cookie. People with cookies: 3
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

ritunb, maybe reading the first post may help?

You can place the RSS link anywhere that you wish. and as for images, they can be found anywhere on the internets.
pashmak

Post by pashmak »

delete*
Last edited by pashmak on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pashmak

Post by pashmak »

Hi there.

I've installed this mod without problem.

The sitemaps create following url: ....viewtopic.php?t=34000

But my forum, which has the standard phpbb2 plus 1.53 mod rewrite(short-url) activated, uses this rewrite: ....ftopic34000.html

and my forums are rewrittin in this way: ....forum82,FreeDebate.html

How do i make these sitemaps show these shorturls instead of default viewtopic.php?"....

the standard url works and leads to the thread, but the "url-name" is not what my forum shows and that would look weird on google.

Some one help me out?

Thanks
achievehigh.org

Post by achievehigh.org »

Hi,

I posted about what I installed before on pages 21 and 22 of this thread. I said this in case you needed to understand my forum situation more in helping me with my questions below.

I installed the mixed mod rewrite and the Google Yahoo MSN Sitemaps and RSS v1.2.0RC4 on the forums at this Old URL http://www.treatwidevision.us/forums , but I recently moved the forum to another web host and the web host restored the forum on a new domain tvseriesmusic.com . So now the forum is at this new URL http://www.tvseriesmusic.com/forum . I checked to see if the friendly URLs and the mx Google sitemaps work, but none of them worked! I then uploaded the .htaccess file that I backed up from the old host's Control Panel. My question is
Do I need to fix the word "forums" and the domain treatwidevision.us in the .htaccess file or just leave them the way they were then use a different robots.txt and Zero Duplicate mod?

I could not find the robots.txt file in treatwidevision.us as mentioned in this thread in the old domain treatwidevision.us. I don't remember if I had a robots.txt before I submitted the forum for Google to index my forum pages, but I believed I did have the robots.txt file in the root folder in the old web host.

I saw this instruction:
"Migrating:

If you are migration, eg if your forum is already indexed using different URLs, you'll have to use another robots.txt and install the zero duplicate.
The migrating procedure will allow you to migrate and keep your previously indexed pages. Older links will be HTTP 301 redirected to the new ones. It is rather simple, but the solution depends on cases.
Let's meet in the Mixed mod Rewrite forum."

The instruction above says, then "you'll have to use another robots.txt," but how is it different? How will my robots.txt file look exactly? Please show me the whole thing in robots.txt for my forum (the one at the new domain tvseriesmusic.com, not the old domain treatwidevision.us) in your reply.

I already submitted my forum sitemap to Google search engine a while back. I wondered if Google indexed my forum pages, but it looks like they have not indexed my forum pages.

I also checked the Mixed mod Rewrite forum but could not find the answer to my question. It says above, "the solution depends on cases" so which case is my situation? Could you please help me as soon as possible? What are ALL of the steps that I need to do now after moving the forums to another web host and restoring the forum at another domain?

Thank you in advance. I am looking forward to your reply. Please reply soon!
Last edited by achievehigh.org on Wed May 21, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
achievehigh.org

Excuse this post. It was a duplicate by accident. I didn't know how it got duplicated when I didn't click post reply or quote. Please read my questions in the post above and help me with them.
achievehigh.org

Update on the post above:

I want to add this information to my message above (not the one right above, but the message above that).

I just added the robots.txt. I put the content in the robots.txt following the instructions on this page. Like I presented above, I couldn't find the robots.txt in my old web host before so I created a robots.txt and uploaded it into treatwidevision.us (the old URL of my forum) after I already moved the forum to another domain tvseriesmusic.com. Does it work like that?

You can see my robots. txt file at treatwidevision.us/robots.txt.
achievehigh.org

I posted on May 20 and May 21 (see my posts above). I want to update on what happens up to this point in time and the problem I've encountered. I need your help!

Google found an internal "SERVER" error. Please review the error because it's related to the server.

I moved the .htaccess file from the old web host to the new web host and changed from treatwidevision.us to tvseriesmusic.com at the top of the .htaccess file. I also changed from "forums" to "forum" right after this symbol ^ and toward the end right before the slash / of each RewriteRule line.

I also transferred the robots.txt file from treatwidevision.us to the new domain tvseriesmusic.com. You can check my .htaccess and robots.txt both inside the new domain tvseriesmusic.com to see if it's correct or not.

I reviewed the instructions in gym_sitemapsV1-2-0RC4.txt for the [RC4] GYM Sitemaps & RSS (aka mx Google Sitemaps) in the first post of this thread and saw there was a step (step 4) that involved MySQL database. I did what I said above to the .htaccess and robots.txt files but I did not update the MySQL database. I don't know what I need to do with the MySQL part. I usually don't want to deal with MySQL database for fear of errors.

After doing the .htaccess and robots.txt steps above, the friendly forum URLs work. However, when I submitted the sitemap to Google to review and index after logging in http://www.google.com/webmasters , Google told me after one or two days of sitemap submission that they found one error.

Sitemap errors and warnings
Line Status Details
- Network unreachable: Network unreachable
We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follow the guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit.

HTTP Error: 500 (Internal server error)
Found: May 23, 2008

I submitted this forum sitemap http://www.tvseriesmusic.com/forum/sitemaps.xml to Google and Google found that error. You can see here that this SAME sitemap http://www.treatwidevision.us/forums/sitemaps.xml (carries the URL treatwidevision.us and hosted by another web host) that I also submitted to Google before, but Google didn't find any error in that same sitemap, but the site map http://www.tvseriesmusic.com/forum/sitemaps.xml that carries the new URL hosted by another web host has error.

Why did I see this forum URL http://www.tvseriesmusic.com/forum/sitemap.php?forum=57 under the sitemap details in my Google's account when that URL is not on my site map at http://www.tvseriesmusic.com/forum/sitemaps.xml? In the "sitemap summary" in my Google account, I saw only up to this URL http://treatwidevision.us/forums/sitemap.php?forum=56 for the same sitemap that was in its old URL. How do I fix the error for my sitemap at its new URL http://www.tvseriesmusic.com/forum/sitemaps.xml?

Can you please help me? How come no one knows the answers to my questions at php-seo forum?
dcz

Post by dcz »

SuperFedya wrote:Hi
I cannot change encoding for RSS.
I chose windows-1251 in "Charset". But encoding still in utf-8.
Maybe i need to change something in "Char-set conversion method"?
Thanks!

Resolved.
The final output always uses utf-8, the setting you mention only concern the original char-set to convert.
ritunb wrote:Where's the RSS buttons? How could somebody subscribe the feed? Members should be able to add the feed in their RSS aggregators/readers..
I know this should have been already added, but ho well, we're working on phpBB3 now.

Here is though a suitable solution to show rss links in the navigation bar (FF & IE7) : http://www.phpbb-seo.com/boards/gym-sit ... html#11700
pashmak wrote:But my forum, which has the standard phpbb2 plus 1.53 mod rewrite(short-url) activated, uses this rewrite: ....ftopic34000.html
For topics only it's easy, you'd only need to replace :

Code: Select all

'topic' => 'topic',
with :

'topic' => 'ftopic',
in mx_sitemaps/includes/ggs_functions.php, and select the mixed mode in ACP for url rewriting.

For forum urls, it's a bit more complicated, since you'd need to change more things.

In mx_sitemaps/includes/google_forum.php, replace :

$forum_url = $this->path_config['phpbb_url'] . (($this->mod_r_config['forum_pre'] !='') ? $this->mod_r_config['forum_pre'] . $forum_id . $this->mod_r_config['ext'] : $forum_url_ok . $phpbb_seo->seo_delim['forum'] .  $forum_id . $phpbb_seo->seo_ext['forum']);
with :

$forum_url = $this->path_config['phpbb_url'] . 'forum' .  $forum_id . $forum_url_ok . '.html';
and :

$forum_url = $this->path_config['phpbb_url'] . ( ($this->mod_r_config['forum_pre'] !='') ? $this->mod_r_config['forum_pre'] . $forum_id : $phpbb_seo->format_url($forum_data['forum_name'], $phpbb_seo->seo_static['forum']) . $phpbb_seo->seo_delim['forum'] .  $forum_id );
with :

$forum_url = $this->path_config['phpbb_url'] . 'forum' .  $forum_id . $phpbb_seo->format_url($forum_data['forum_name'], $phpbb_seo->seo_static['forum']);
Should work expept for pagination, I'd need to know how it is handled by your mod to provide with a fix.

In mx_sitemaps/includes/rss_forum.php, replace :

$forum_url = $this->path_config['phpbb_url'] . (($this->mod_r_config['forum_pre'] !='') ? $this->mod_r_config['forum_pre'] . $forum_id : $forum_name_ok . $phpbb_seo->seo_delim['forum'] . $forum_id .  $phpbb_seo->seo_ext['forum']);
with :

$forum_url = $this->path_config['phpbb_url'] . 'forum' .  $forum_id . $forum_url_ok . '.html';
and :

$forum_url = $this->path_config['phpbb_url'] . (($this->mod_r_config['forum_pre'] !='') ? $this->mod_r_config['forum_pre'] . $forum_id : $forum_name_ok . $phpbb_seo->seo_delim['forum'] . $forum_id .  $phpbb_seo->seo_ext['forum']);
with :

Should do the trick.

achievehigh.org, I'm sorry, but you are mixing to many topic for an easy answer. From what I see here, we are close to solve all your issues, and they where many as you where as well doing many things at a time ;)

++

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS
achievehigh.org

Dcz,
dcz wrote:and they where many as you where as well doing many things at a time
I read that part of your message above many times, but didn't understand what you were trying to say.

I posted my messages above in this thread a while back in May. I got some reply from your forum instead of here so, you can help me at your forum regarding those messages that I posted at your forum.

No, I still feel that the issue was not resolved. Although it might seem easy, it was obviously not because I applied the methods suggested at your forum, but they didn't work. I already explained what didn't work and why in my recent post at your forum here . I am still waiting for your reply to my questions that I posted here at your forum on June 4 .

If I've successfully redirected my forum before then it would be easy because I would know the correct way to do it while keeping the old domain treatwidevision.us at the old web host because treatwidevision.us domain can't be removed from the old web host. Reason: This old domain treatwidevision.us hosts many other web sites and files and carries the statistics of those sites that can't be lost. I explained all this at your forum so if you read it there, you'll see.

Note: I believed that the reason my forum could redirect from the old URL http://www.treatwidevision.us/forums to the new URL http://www.tvseriesmusic.com/forum was because I used the "Redirect URL" function inside my Control Panel at the Old web host. Click here to see what I mean. I wanted to know how to make the forum redirect correctly using that method of "Redirect URL" inside the old web host combined with your method for the .htaccess and robots.txt. I'll keep checking that thread mixed-mod-rewrite/discussions-vt2632.html at your forum for your answers until my forum is correctly redirected.

Today, I have other questions, but I want to make a separate post to avoid confusion. So, I'll post my questions on the next page.
Last edited by achievehigh.org on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:21 am, edited 13 times in total.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”