[RC4] GYM Sitemaps & RSS (aka mx Google Sitemaps)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
dcz

Post by dcz »

This mod will only help your site to be indexed, you need good contents and good links to your domain to get good page rank.

Also, mod rewrite (whatever standard choosen) is the way to get PR well transmitted throughout the site.

By the way I am pleased you like it ;)

++

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS
rockboyteek

Post by rockboyteek »

could you please xplain the mod rewrite thing to me again..
http://www.adminfuel.com/ - Forum for Forum Administrators
dcz

Post by dcz »

rockboyteek wrote: could you please xplain the mod rewrite thing to me again..

Several solutions are out to do this, such as abletoknow does.
The thing is Idon't think phpbb.com does really care about mod rewrite, since it's SEO and can only be implemented with apache and mod rewrite on (could work with IIS too, but I don't know how it would be easy).

Meaning, solutions to o this are not universal, ethen though some effort have been made about that.

So, If you want to give an eye to the one I am working on, here : http://www.marsatak.org/download/keywor ... _2.3.1.zip

For now it's parlty in french, but all code changes are obvious and I'll soon release an update in both language, so you can also wait a bit. Using this one will make the code changes to do to your sitemap system as simple as overwriting one file ;).

Search for "mod rewrite phpbb" here and at google, you'll find a lot more otpions are possible, as you wish.

Whenever you decide to change your url standard, just post here so I'll make sure your sitemap is outputing correct url.

++

rockboyteek

Post by rockboyteek »

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about15132.html

number 23... would that be right to do.. static URLs?.. and how long will it take for google to pull the topic pages?
dcz

Post by dcz »

rockboyteek wrote: http://www.able2know.com/forums/about15132.html

number 23... would that be right to do.. static URLs?.. and how long will it take for google to pull the topic pages?

Static url is easyer to handle, title injected (dynamic) is a bit more tricky since you must then observe a stric title policy (bad titles can lead to bad keywords associated with topics).

able2know's mod is good for indexing for sure. Bots will spider your pages easyer and page rank (PR) will be a lot better transmitted throughout your pages.
And you don't actually risk to geopardise any previous indexing while changing urls : http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=sit ... cher&meta=

Talking about time, well since you have a PR of 4, it should be quite fast.
I recommand though that you change your links to the forum to be http://www.etcworld.co.uk/etcforum/index.php instead of http://www.etcworld.co.uk/etcforum which leads to the portal and cause useless redirections (disturbing for bots too).
You should have one separate link to your portal and to your forum on each of your site pages.

Once all of this will be done, I'd say you'll start to see your page appear in google's cache in about a month or so, and for PR transmition, who knows, there are about 4 google dance per year so, it can take up to 4 month.

Anyway since I have got a good example of the able2know, I'll soon add a contrib for it in the release.

++

rockboyteek

Post by rockboyteek »

right added tha static URL for guests thing.. is that all i need to do for better ranking and more pages pulled.. only google visits tho...
dcz

Post by dcz »

rockboyteek wrote: right added tha static URL for guests thing.. is that all i need to do for better ranking and more pages pulled.. only google visits tho...

All right this is quick ;)

So since it was no big deal for you to set up righ .htaccess, why not activating mod rewrite for sitemaps too then ? Look in the contrib folder and acp to activate the switch.

Since you wher fast I'll start to write down the contrib file for abletoknow url standard right now, should be done before google first come to visit your sitemaps ;)

++

mdvaldosta

Post by mdvaldosta »

dcz wrote:
mdvaldosta wrote:I wasn't clear, I was referring to using webmedic's or a2k's mod_rewrite with your sitemap mod. I use webmedic's, but since I cannot find a download location for his sitemap mod I'm looking for an alternative.

Then you came to the right place ;)
Actually, my mod rewrite is taking webmedic's url standard for convenience and because I started to code mod rewrite with webmedic's mod.

The thing is after 8 month without news from him, I started updating his code and actually plan to continu developping it, at first fixing and improving, but with the intention to end up not using ob_start anymore, since it's the cause of many problems as far as styling and server load.

So you just need to use the files in contrib folder instead of the standard ones, and you'll be set.

Since I already updated webmedic mod, you'll ever need to put back the entire code of make_url_friendly() in the sitemap.php file (I moved this part in includes/function.php instead in order to avoid repeating it's code in every add on like it was the case in 2.3.0.
You can proceed as I did to, eg mooving make_url_friendly() from page_header.php to includes/function.php, in order to only have to maintain one occurance of this function, but you'll then have to get rid of it in every other file that may use it.

If you are interested, I can provide a DL link to my updated version of webmedic toolkit (2.3.1) which solves one security leak and adds nav links handeling.

I also plan to go 2.4.0 quite soon, as I am rebuilding all the rewriterules for faster and more efficient handeling, with also several add ons to the script. Keep tunned ;)

++

I'll add any other url standard in contrib upon request.

++

If you're giving the same url's, then most certainly I'll use your mod_rewrite together with your sitemap to ease any confusion.

And, if you want to really make your SEO better, come up with a rewrite that give's keyword url's in the pagination (multiple page threads) with the page 1 link matching the thread link. Also, rewriting to remove the ?html= from the end of the search when you "view latest topics".

PS - can you give me a download link to what you have?
mdvaldosta

Post by mdvaldosta »

Might I also suggest you rewrite your installation file. You jump around all over the place and it's not clear at all. Also, your files to be uploaded should follow the same path...

Code: Select all

copy 	sitemap.php 								to 	sitemap.php

copy	mx_ggsitemaps/language/lang_english/lang_google_sitemap.php to 	language/lang_english/lang_google_sitemap.php
copy 	mx_ggsitemaps/language/lang_french/lang_google_sitemap.php 	to 	language/lang_french/lang_google_sitemap.php
copy	mx_ggsitemaps/mx_ggsitemaps/admin/admin_mx_ggsitemap.php 	to 	admin/admin_mx_ggsitemap.php
copy	mx_ggsitemaps/includes/index_forum.php 				to 	mx_ggsitemaps/includes/index_forum.php
copy  mx_ggsitemaps/includes/sitemap_forum.php				to 	mx_ggsitemaps/includes/sitemap_forum.php
copy	mx_ggsitemaps/db_install.php						to	db_install.php
That makes no sense at all... especially considering how you have the files structured in your mod. I'm going to try to figure it out anyway... but whether you meant to put the includes/sitemap_forum.php in the phpbb includes file or in a mx_ggsitemaps/includes file is beyond me.
dcz

Post by dcz »

mdvaldosta wrote: If you're giving the same url's, then most certainly I'll use your mod_rewrite together with your sitemap to ease any confusion.

And, if you want to really make your SEO better, come up with a rewrite that give's keyword url's in the pagination (multiple page threads) with the page 1 link matching the thread link. Also, rewriting to remove the ?html= from the end of the search when you "view latest topics".

PS - can you give me a download link to what you have?

Talking about the webmedic's mod, this is the wy it is handeling pagination, so that's why I implemented it this way.

This is one of the feature I'll add in the future while updating it's code, but this is far from being a big SEO issue, since those page will still end up being spidered a lot better than without, and paginated topics are not really the most important pages (usually interesting content stand in first posts), and they are more difficult to get indexed very well whatever the case in the end.

And since you are using this exact same standard on your boards (besides getting rid of titles in paginated topics links ), then I won't take offense ;)

By the way, you can already see on my site some advanced pagination handeling, being at the dev level for now but fully working.

I am currently working on seting up a site which will demonstrate all my SEO works, and then will really start to work on releasing updates to webmedics mod rewrite.

I already provided few post ahed the dl link to the 2.3.1 version I made (mostly to update the install for now, but also to had a security fix, to move make_url_friendly to includes/function.php in order to only have to maintain one version of it for all files (instead of redeclaring it in every other file like before) and alos addes support for nav links), but a lot more is to come, I could already release another update, I rewrote all the .htaccess rewriterules to be more accurate, but I am still working on some add on part.

So to use my sitemap mod together on your board you should just use the files provided in the contrib folder (I just updated it, re dl it, the contrib folder is a bit more obvious, nothing else changed) for webmedic standard.

But if you want to keep your pagination standard you should :

Open :

sitemap_forum.php the contrib one of course ;)

Find :

$topic_url_ok = make_url_friendly($topic['topic_title']) . '-vt' . $topic['topic_id'] . '.html';
Replace with :

$topic_url_ok = make_url_friendly($topic['topic_title']) . '-vt' . $topic['topic_id'] . '.html';

$topic_url_ok2 = '-vt' . $topic['topic_id'] . '.html';

Find :

$start = ( $i == 0 ) ? '' : "?start=" . $paginated * $i;
							echo "\t" . '<url>' . "\n";
							echo "\t\t" . '<loc>' .  $server_url . $topic_url_ok . $start . '</loc>' . "\n";
Replace with :

if ( $i == 0 )
							{
								$start = '';
							     	$topic_url_ok3 = $topic_url_ok;
							else
							{
								$start = "?start=" . $paginated * $i;
								$topic_url_ok3 = $i . '-' . $topic_url_ok2;
							}
							echo "\t" . '<url>' . "\n";
							echo "\t\t" . '<loc>' .  $server_url . $topic_url_ok3 . $start . '</loc>' . "\n";
Or somethign like that. I did not test, but it should be working.

By the way, I updated the zip file, and there is now the contrib file for the able2know mod rewrite too ;)

rockboyteek
, you just need to overwrite the file and you'll be set. Was done before google first saw your sitemaps ;)

++

mdvaldosta

Post by mdvaldosta »

Duplicate content is the problem with the pagination. Two different web addresses showing the same content. That's a problem, it's the difference between one page being listed #1 or having a page listed at #10 and the other not at all.

As for your mx_ggsitemap_V1.0.0RC1.txt, it's really confusing. I haven't even tried installing it yet... can you rewrite it to be more clear. The file uploads especially.
dcz

Post by dcz »

mdvaldosta wrote: Might I also suggest you rewrite your installation file. You jump around all over the place and it's not clear at all. Also, your files to be uploaded should follow the same path...

copy 	sitemap.php 								to 	sitemap.php

copy	mx_ggsitemaps/language/lang_english/lang_google_sitemap.php to 	language/lang_english/lang_google_sitemap.php
copy 	mx_ggsitemaps/language/lang_french/lang_google_sitemap.php 	to 	language/lang_french/lang_google_sitemap.php
copy	mx_ggsitemaps/mx_ggsitemaps/admin/admin_mx_ggsitemap.php 	to 	admin/admin_mx_ggsitemap.php
copy	mx_ggsitemaps/includes/index_forum.php 				to 	mx_ggsitemaps/includes/index_forum.php
copy  mx_ggsitemaps/includes/sitemap_forum.php				to 	mx_ggsitemaps/includes/sitemap_forum.php
copy	mx_ggsitemaps/db_install.php						to	db_install.php
That makes no sense at all... especially considering how you have the files structured in your mod. I'm going to try to figure it out anyway... but whether you meant to put the includes/sitemap_forum.php in the phpbb includes file or in a mx_ggsitemaps/includes file is beyond me.

Well, it's not like that hard to figure out where to upload 6 files.

The directory strucure here is partly ment to allow compatibility with mx portal, and no, I don't think it's that bad to use mx_ggsitemaps/includes/ instead of includes/ for vanillia boards.

Actually, it's better this way even for vanillia phpbb since it will prevent from messing files.
Let me explain a bit here, you may did not notice, but this mod is auto loading every modules allowing unlimited auto adding of additional sitemaps (read my small tutorial about this in first post), and since the phpbb include folder is already well used by other mods, and I am using a regex to do the auto thing, doing this will prevent wrong file match (keywords here are "index" and "sitemap" so there really could be some pb to mix those with other files).

So please for the second time, consider I already facilitate your task here providing the mod and even providing hacks to suite your url rewriting, so I guess being a gentleman is all what's left to you here ;)

++

dcz

Post by dcz »

mdvaldosta wrote: Duplicate content is the problem with the pagination. Two different web addresses showing the same content. That's a problem, it's the difference between one page being listed #1 or having a page listed at #10 and the other not at all.

As for your mx_ggsitemap_V1.0.0RC1.txt, it's really confusing. I haven't even tried installing it yet... can you rewrite it to be more clear. The file uploads especially.

hehe, again lol

Please look at my site and report any dupe you'll find ;)

mdvaldosta

Post by mdvaldosta »

Thank you for the clarification, and I appreciate dearly for your work. If all goes well I'll even help you fund additional work, with a contribution for your nice script :D

The confusion wasn't so much in your upload instructions, I can most certainly understand that. The fact that your directory structure of the files is what confused me, since it didn't match the format in which to actually upload those files.

I'll give it a shot, I'm excited to have an opportunity to get a working sitemap. Thanks.
dcz wrote: hehe, again lol

Please look at my site and report any dupe you'll find ;)

No kidding, you don't! holy chit, nice work dude! Is the download link a few posts up the same version your using for your forum mod_rewrite?
dcz

Post by dcz »

mdvaldosta wrote: Thank you for the clarification, and I appreciate dearly for your work. If all goes well I'll even help you fund additional work, with a contribution for your nice script :D

The confusion wasn't so much in your upload instructions, I can most certainly understand that. The fact that your directory structure of the files is what confused me, since it didn't match the format in which to actually upload those files.

I'll give it a shot, I'm excited to have an opportunity to get a working sitemap. Thanks.

You are welcome ;)

I noticed too this idea of releasing a bi compatible mod could confuse some at first, but hey, it's really bi compatible phpbb and mx portal, with no code changes, no useless code, not a single code change in both phpbb and mx files, so I finally stated it was enough.

For sure mx user get the thing a bit easyer here, but this is all about mx, you install modules from acp, so you just have to upload the full structure.

But believe me with phpbb, it's the same, once you figure out how to actually believe what you read in the install and apply it, it's just 6 files and 12 differents paths written down here, no that much of a big deal.

But I note this, and I promise, I will be a bit more clear in the 1.0 release.
The only risk I'll take is not to be read :)

++

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”