[RC4] GYM Sitemaps & RSS (aka mx Google Sitemaps)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
dcz

Re: Google says "Sitemap not found", but looks rig

Post by dcz »

Blue Ninja wrote: Hello,

I just installed this mod today, and I *think* I set it up correctly, but Google's sitemaster tools tell me the sitemap was "not found". The sitemap I added was http://blueninja.boldlygoingnowhere.org ... itemap.php and it comes up in my browser as what appears to be a proper XML file listing the categories and forums.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

EDIT: Doh! I had edited lines 42 and 68 as per the instructions when I was going to sitemap from the root of one site, but only un-edited one of them when I copied to another site that was sitemapped from the forum folder. In the immortal words of Rosanna Rosannadanna, "Nevermind!"

You should do as told I suggest, so only do changes that suites your needs.

As said, you need to change a bit of code if the sitemap is one level up phpbb, doing this partly could result in either the sitemap not working at all or bad links to be outputed. For example if you comment line 69 in a stiemap that stands in phpbb subfolder, you'll miss some "phpbb/" in your url.

So I suggest you double check what you did, check outputed urls in sitemaps (in the provided url it works) and do it on a per config basis (don't mix what to be done for a sitemap at the root and one in the folder).

Besides, obviously, if you want to put the sitemap at thet root level, you also need to actually put it there after thoses two lines changes.

Then talking about google, I don't really understand what are you talking about. You say google cannot find it, but how is it possible ?

It is online, the good url can only point to it so ... So check all of your paths both in sitemap.php and the google set up in your google account, and I doubt google even already had time to first visit your sitemap (it usually take one or two days, can be longer, after reg for first visit so ...).

++
Last edited by dcz on Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS
Blue Ninja

Post by Blue Ninja »

I'm sorry for the confusion - The edit at the bottom of that post was meant to indicate that I found the problem right after I posted, corrected it, and it's now working just fine. :-)

I'll re-edit the post to make that more clear... And thanks for your reply!
dcz

Post by dcz »

Blue Ninja wrote: I'm sorry for the confusion - The edit at the bottom of that post was meant to indicate that I found the problem right after I posted, corrected it, and it's now working just fine. :-)

I'll re-edit the post to make that more clear... And thanks for your reply!

hehe np ;)

By the way your code should be ok, by doing this, you won't see it in the admin panel online list, but no big deal.

Some user could have to change :

Code: Select all

define('PAGE_SITEMAP', -123); 
To another number, according to theire modings.

++

Blue Ninja

Post by Blue Ninja »

dcz wrote: By the way your code should be ok, by doing this, you won't see it in the admin panel online list, but no big deal.

Do you mean that people viewing viewonline.php won't see the update? That's a good point... I'd mostly been interested in seeing this from the Admin page, and not concerned with other users knowing what Googlebot was up to.

But for those who wish to see this from the viewonline.php also:

Code: Select all

Open: viewonline.php

Find:
				case PAGE_FAQ:
					$location = $lang['Viewing_FAQ'];
					$location_url = "faq.$phpEx";
					break;

After, add:
				case PAGE_SITEMAP:
					$location = $lang['Viewing_Sitemap'];
					$location_url = "index.$phpEx?pane=right";
					break;						

Save/close all files
Raul Duke

Post by Raul Duke »

Nice mod, added it to my forum and its all working fine. Thanks.
dcz

Post by dcz »

Raul Duke wrote: Nice mod, added it to my forum and its all working fine. Thanks.

You are welcome ;)

rockboyteek

Post by rockboyteek »

MSN finally visiting my site too :d... maybe because of this ;)
http://www.adminfuel.com/ - Forum for Forum Administrators
dcz

Post by dcz »

rockboyteek wrote: MSN finally visiting my site too :d... maybe because of this ;)

Well this and the mod rewrite you just implemented ;)

Blue Ninja

Post by Blue Ninja »

rockboyteek wrote: MSN finally visiting my site too :d... maybe because of this ;)

Interesting... Though I've uploaded my sitemap to Google, the forums still don't show up in their listings. But they are already in the MSN listings, where I never submitted the sitemap. So it seems MSN "guessed" it before Google crawled it explicitly... That's scary!
rockboyteek

Post by rockboyteek »

hey ninja can i ask since your forum has been up... i have had mine up since 14 may last year and NO search enging has pulled ANY forum pages.. what did you do for it?
Blue Ninja

Post by Blue Ninja »

rockboyteek wrote: hey ninja can i ask since your forum has been up... i have had mine up since 14 may last year and NO search enging has pulled ANY forum pages.. what did you do for it?

Actually, it wasn't until stumbling upon this forum that I even considered that search engines might not properly crawl the forums. I had just added phpBB within the last month, so I just assumed it wasn't crawled "yet". But I see the Googlebot on my site all the time, and had been getting suspicious that it was often there, but apparently not doing anything.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that this mod is directly responsible for letting MSN find my forum - I never use MSN search, but because of the modifications I recently posted, I saw that the MSN bot was "Viewing sitemap" in my admin panel, thought "Well that's interesting", did an MSN search, and saw my forums. Maybe MSN had already indexed the forums proberly on its own?

I haven't bothered checking into the specifics of how MSN bot works, or for that matter, why Google needs a sitemap at all and can't find the forums through a normal crawl. Or maybe it can, but the sitemap just helps keep it updated better? I haven't really investigated yet.

My point - and I do have one - is that, "I'm not sure!" Your main page at your base URL has a forums link that goes to /etcforums/portal.php, which in turn links to /etcforums/index.php, so until yesterday, I'd thought that's all you needed - public links for the bots to follow...

Question: Have you added your site manually to Google, MSN, Yahoo, and/or other search engines?
rockboyteek

Post by rockboyteek »

yes i have.,.. but still it doesnt...
Blue Ninja

Post by Blue Ninja »

rockboyteek wrote: yes i have.,.. but still it doesnt...

Hmm, I'm really not sure... If you'd submitted them to the engines last year, they should be listed by now - perhaps not enough other sites link back to you?

Also, some of them penalize sites for underhanded tactics, like flooding the page with lots of hidden keywords and such, or other unscroupulous marketing strategies. Hopefully, you're not using any of those!

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you - Im not entirely sure how it all works in detail to begin with! :-)
mdvaldosta

Post by mdvaldosta »

All you need to get indexed well by Google and the other search engines is to remove session id's for guests and get links to your website. You can submit your site all day long, and it may get listed, but it will get dropped again until you get some incoming links.
Blue Ninja

Post by Blue Ninja »

Yes, I've also installed the mod to remove session IDs for guests - but only just recently. The rest of my site had been pretty well indexed by Goolge before that - hopefully this will help get the forums included also!

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”