[BETA] Restrict Username

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Wo1f

[BETA] Restrict Username

Post by Wo1f » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:10 am

Code: Select all

##############################################################
## MOD Title: [2.0.20] Restrict Username
## MOD Author: Wo1f < N/A > (J. C. Woof) N/A
## MOD Description: Allows the administrator to establish username character restrictions and validation based on selected options through the ACP.  
## MOD Version: 1.1.6a
##
## Installation Level: Intermediate
## Installation Time: ~ 24 Minutes
## Files To Edit: 27,
##      index,php,
##      memberlist.php,
##      posting.php,
##      admin/admin_board.php,
##      admin/admin_users.php,
##      admin/page_header_admin.php,
##      includes/functions.php,
##      includes/functions_post.php,
##      includes/functions_validate.php,
##      includes/page_header.php,
##      includes/usercp_register.php,
##      includes/usercp_viewprofile.php,
##      language/lang_english/lang_admin.php,
##      language/lang_english/lang_main.php,
##      templates/subSilver/groupcp_info_body.tpl,
##      templates/subSilver/index_body.tpl,
##      templates/subSilver/login_body.tpl,
##      templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl,
##      templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl,
##      templates/subSilver/profile_send_pass.tpl,
##      templates/subSilver/search_username.tpl,
##      templates/subSilver/admin/board_config_body.tpl,
##      templates/subSilver/admin/disallow_body,
##      templates/subSilver/admin/group_edit_body.tpl,
##      templates/subSilver/admin/user_ban_body.tpl,
##      templates/subSilver/admin/user_edit_body.tpl,
##      templates/subSilver/admin/user_select_body.tpl.
## Included Files: N/A
## License: http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php GNU General Public License v2
## For security purposes, please check: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/
## for the latest version of this MOD. Although MODs are checked
## before being allowed in the MODs Database there is no guarantee
## that there are no security problems within the MOD. No support
## will be given for MODs not found within the MODs Database which
## can be found at http://www.phpbb.com/mods/
## Author Notes:
##      - Ability to validate username characters based on selected options in the ACP
##      - Restriction is also applied when "Allow Username changes" is enabled in the ACP.
##      - Restriction is also applied to "Anomymous" (Guest posting), in the event forum permissions allow it.
##      - Ability to hide username references and profile data until activated
##      - Username text field "maxlength" value (across the board) is now governed by the "maximum" value specified in the ACP.
##      - Released for, and tested on, phpBB2 v2.0.20 [subSilver].
##      - Tested on FF 1.5, Opera 8.5 and IE 6.
##      - Numerous installations with EasyMOD version 0.3.0 were successful and took on average less than 1 minute.
##      - The hide username until activated feature is based on " defender-uk's " excellent "Active members Only" mod.
##      - 	Ty! :) http://www.phpbb-amod.co.uk/
##      - The username remaining character counter is based on " Underhill's " efficient & lightweigth javascript code.
##      - 	Ty! :) http://www.underhill.de/
##      - Support is offered through this mod's release thread at phpbb.com.
##      - IMPORTANT - Failure to update the "config" table will result in members being unable to login.
##      - Thanks to the best bunch of BETA testers around: [1.0.4] Dicky, Nux, Bullmax, Mark and Yawner.
##      - [1.1.6]
##      - Contributors: Yawner, Underhill, defender-uk, kilowatt, bugfixed
##      - BETA testers - shakey_1, ZombieSlayer, kilowatt, Bij, ^Andy^, bugfixed
## Available languages:
##      - English
##      - German (formal) (Deutsch [Sie])
##      - Deutsch (German)
##      - Dutch (Netherlands)
##      - Turkish
## MOD History:
##
##   2006-05-25 Version 1.1.6a
##      - Corrected typo in image path (affecting Linux flavored OS only) as per "bugfixed"
##      - Added DIY instructions for manual database update
##      - Slight code modification for v2.0.20 compatibility (previously posted and now integrated)
##      - Added the following language files: German (Formal), Turkish
##   2006-03-10 Version 1.1.6
##      - Modified remaining character counter to remain hidden when client-side js. is turned off or not available (Underhill)
##      - Modified code in admin/admin_board.php to allow the backslash to be displayed properly
##      - Changed "Reset to Default" button code to update the field without the need to submit.
##      - Removed the colon from the unavailable list
##      - Added database installer for those not using EasyMOD (Yawner)
##      - Added the following language files: German, Dutch,
##   2006-03-06 Version 1.1.5
##      - Added the ability to restrict and validate username characters based on selected options in the ACP.
##      - Added the ability to hide username references and profile data until activated.
##      - Added javascript "remaining character" counter.
##      - Added "default" button to the "Current Username restricted characters" option
##      - Added a proper block_switch to posting.php for anonymous posters
##      - Streamlined code in includes/page_header.php and removed unused vars
##      - Streamlined code in admin_users.php, functions_post.php, usercp_register.php
##      - Added omitted check for anonymous poster in includes/functions_post.php
##      - Reviewed vars naming convention
##      - Modified Mod name to "Restrict Username"
##      - Adjusted version numbering
##      - Miscellaneous minor adjustments (including default restricted list)
##   2006-02-20 Version 1.0.4
##      - Released as "Restrict Username Size" in the mods database.
##      - http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=365986
##
## Before Adding This MOD To Your Forum, You Should Back Up All Files Related To This MOD
Features
  1. Ability to turn ON or OFF all features of this mod
  2. Ability to allow or disallow using number characters
  3. Ability to allow or disallow using case-insensitive accented extended characters
  4. Ability to allow specific restricted characters
  5. Ability to specify a minimun and maximum number of characters
  6. Ability to hide username references and profile data until activated
  7. Applies to guest (anonymous) posting and username changes when allowed.
  8. Username "maxlength" property is now governed by the "Maximum username length" value set in the ACP
  9. Includes a javascript remaining character counter (degrades gracefully)
Demo board
  • Available as soon as Restrict Usrname v1.1.7 [BETA] is released.
Screenshots

ACP Username Settings section ...

The 1) Registration, 2) ACP User Admin and 3) Guest posting screens ...

1) Image 2) Image 3) Image

Download
I consider Restrict Username v1.1.6a very stable on my test board, as a BETA. I would like to offer it publicly to those who are interested in testing it out (on a test board) in order to help out in confirming it's stability and using your hard earned skills to discover bugs if any. Those of you brave enough to integrate it into your live board must without fail do a complete forum and database backup (are you sure it's reliable and have you included any and all tables created by mods you may have installed?) before proceeding. Do not lose sight of the fact that this mod is still a BETA release.

Installation with EasyMOD is strongly recommended.

• Restrict Username v1.1.6a [BETA]
[/url]
  • Archive content (restrict_username_beta_v1_1_6a.zip)
    1. install_restrict_username_beta_v1_1_6a.txt
    2. un_arrow.gif
    3. wo1f.gif
    4. install/update_restrict_username_config_v1_1_6a.php
    5. languages/language_german_formal_run_v1_1_6a.txt
    6. languages/language_german_deutsch_run_v1.1.6a.txt
    7. languages/language_dutch_netherlands_run_v1.1.6a.txt
    8. languages/language_turkish_run_v1_1_6a.txt
Current language translations
  1. German (Deutsch): Underhill
  2. German (Formal): Underhill
  3. Dutch (Netherlands): Kilowatt
  4. Turkish (Turkey): bugfixed

Many thanks to Underhill who has committed himself to the German translations, kilowatt for the Netherlands translation and bugfixed for the Turkish translation. Any other phpBB.com members willing to translate this mod's language files are more than welcome to proceed with this. Let me know, and I'll add you to the list of contributors which guarantees you many years of good karma coming your way. :lol:
Current known remaining issues
  1. None

Thank you all for reading and helping making this mod a solid addition to your boards and a solid submittal to the mods database,
Wolf :wink:

Edit #4
  1. Corrected a few annoying typos[/size]
Edit #3 - v1.1.6a
  1. Updated download package as per detailed items for v1.1.6a in the Mod's history section above.
  2. Added German (Formal) translation by Underhill and Turky (Turkish) translation by bugfixed.
  3. Removed item #10 (FAQ) from the features list, which will be offered with Restrict Username v1.1.7 [BETA] only.
  4. Removed FAQ example which will be offered with Restrict Username v1.1.7 [BETA] only.
  5. Removed Demo board comments as demo board will be offered with Restrict Username v1.1.7 [BETA] only.
  6. Removed "Incomplete New Features" section as it does not apply to Restrict Username v1.1.6a [BETA] anymore. The FAQ has been completed for v1.1.7 [BETA] yet to be released.
[/size]Edit #2 - v1.1.6
  1. Updated download package as per detailed items for v1.1.6 in the Mod's history section above.
  2. Removed demo board ETA comment.
  3. Removed items a and b from the "Current known remaining issues" list, which have been resolved.
[/size]Edit #1
  1. Added Netherlands translation by kilowatt.
[/size]
Last edited by Wo1f on Thu May 25, 2006 8:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

shakey_1

Post by shakey_1 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:26 am

This is going be be a great mod and is going to address one of two issues I have been trying to get a handle on for some time. Thanks! :D Just installed it on my test board and it installed perfectly.

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:57 am

Hi shakey_1,

Glad to hear you decided to take the plunge. Make sure to report back any findings you may come across and thanks for the help. :wink:

Regards,
Wolf

Note: Which EM version did you use?

shakey_1

Post by shakey_1 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:09 am

I'm using Easymod beta 0.3.0 on both my test and live boards. If I come across anything noteable, I'll let you know.

kilowatt

Post by kilowatt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:59 am

I'll try it on my testboard too. It is not as lively as a full board, but it is a start ;)

Have you also tried replacing the "\" character with e.g. the ascii code?

& #92;  Reverse solidus (backslash) \ 
http://matrixmagic.com/tools/symbols.html
(remove the space between the "&" and the "#" symbol. I could not get it to show the code otherwise, it turned in to a \ ;)

Maybe that helps...

kilowatt

Post by kilowatt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:08 am

Some weirdness installing:

Warning

FIND FAILED: In file [language/lang_dutch/lang_admin.php] could not find:

$lang['Abilities_settings'] = 'User and Forum Basic Settings';

MOD script line #884 :: FAQ :: Report

<?php /*************************************************************************** * lang_admin.php [English] * ------------------- * begin : Sat Dec 16 2000 * copyright : (C) 2001 The phpBB Group * email : support@phpbb.com * * $Id: lang_admin.php,v 1.35.2.13 2005/12/29 11:51:12 acydburn Exp $
Why this is weird, is because I get this error in the FIND for the lang_english/lang_admin.php 8O (used original, unmodificated mod, downloaded here)

I allready tried setting my prefs (and that of the board itself in English. Still the same error). It does however appear to find the line and replaces it though (as seen in the document as red in the preview)
Can't get my own lang_dutch translations to install either (Critical Error), very strange. I get an error telling me that it can't find:

$lang['Abilities_settings'] = 'User and Forum Basic Settings';
In the lang_dutch/lang_admin.php, which is totally weird because I do not even ask that of EasyMod :S

The Dutch line says:

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
language/lang_dutch/lang_admin.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
$lang['Abilities_settings'] = 'Gebruikers en Forum Basis Instellingen';

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------
#
$lang['Abilities_settings'] = 'Forum Basis Instellingen'; // 'Gebruiker en Forum Basis Instellingen';
Don't know if it if really is the mod itself (which I would find odd, because it looks normal) or something else...

Maybe I have made a typo somewhere with the dutch_lang, but I just cannot see it. It doesn't however explain the announcement I get trying the original beta mod.

The version consisting only the lenght restriction, installed without a hitch. No lang errors.

Looked in the affected lang files, the lines to be found are there, so there should be no reason for the error. Also the FTP and CMOD settings are all in order... Cleared cache and cookies of my browser just in case to no avail.

Any ideas?

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:51 pm

Hi Kilowatt,
kilowatt wrote: I'll try it on my testboard too. It is not as lively as a full board, but it is a start ;)

Glad to have you aboard. The more the merrier! :lol:

Keep your eyes on things and report back any glitches you may find, and thanks for your help. :wink:

Regards
Wolf

Note: I'm looking into the other issue you're facing and I'll get back to you on this.

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:08 pm

kilowatt wrote: Have you also tried replacing the "\" character with e.g. the ascii code?

& #92;  Reverse solidus (backslash) \ 
http://matrixmagic.com/tools/symbols.html

Early on in the coding I did, but did not get the result I'm getting now??. IE was giving me a hard time with properly displaying html entities (if at all). At one point, some of the characters were converted to html entities such as "&" into "&" after being transferred in the db. But then again, during that time I upgraded php and played around with the mbstring function. Seems to fix it on my test board now. Good call!
kilowatt wrote: (remove the space between the "&" and the "#" symbol. I could not get it to show the code otherwise, it turned in to a \ ;)

hmmm... Can you check the following for me:

1 ] In lang_main.php --> $lang['ENCODING'] = ??
2 ] In my.ini (MySQL) --> default-character-set = ??

Depending on the db you're using this might not be the right location. And for readability reasons, I would like to avoid knocking out spaces. In the meantime you could try deleting the db field " username_default_unav " and recreate it using this modified query:

INSERT INTO `phpbb_config` (`config_name`, `config_value`) 
VALUES ('username_default_unav', '% _ \" ( ) { } [ ] < > \' : , \ / ! @ #&nbsp;$ ^ ? &&nbsp;* - + \  space');
The backslash is the html entity number code you proposed " & # 9 2 ; " which is displayed literally in the code snippet above.

Or instead of &nbsp; for the space, you could also use the html entity number equivalent " & # 1 6 0 ; " - which is spaced out for display purposes.

Whichever space character I use, it never displayed emoticons. If this is not language related, could it be a mod interferring in some way??

NOTE: The solution for the backslash has not been integrated into the install instructions yet. This to give me time to test it with all major browsers.

Underhill

Post by Underhill » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:33 pm

Hi,

for issue a. (Javascript remaining character counter must not load when client-side js. is turned off):

use

<td class="row2">
				<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
					<!--
					// Username remaining character counter
						function username_counter(field, countfield, max)
						{
							if (field.value.length > max)
							{
								field.value = field.value.substring(0, max);
							}
							else
							{
								countfield.value = max - field.value.length;
							}
						}
					//-->
				</script>
				<input type="text" class="post" style="width:200px" name="username" size="25" maxlength="{TOTAL_UN}" value="{USERNAME}" onkeydown="username_counter(this.form.username, this.form.usernamelen, {TOTAL_UN});" onkeyup="username_counter(this.form.username, this.form.usernamelen, {TOTAL_UN});" />
				<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
				<!--
				document.write('<input class="bodyline" disabled="disabled" type="text" name="usernamelen" size="2" maxlength="2" value="{STATE_UN}" style="text-align:center;text-indent:0.0em;cursor:default;" />');
				document.write('<span class="gensmall">{L_USERNAME_REMAINING_CHARS}</span>');
				//-->
				</script>
			</td>
"document.write" will only be used by js-activated clients :wink:

Reg.
Underhill
batlh ghajbe' De'wI'mey!

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:12 pm

Underhill wrote: "document.write" will only be used by js-activated clients :wink:

Works a charm Underhill. :wink:

NOTE: Will hold off a little while still for updating the instruction file, still have not found a satisfying fix for the backslash issue (when using EasyMOD with the html entity " & # 9 2 ; ". It's being converted to " &#92; ". Escaping it dosen't work either. Updating it using phpMyAdmin for example works fine.

vrflyer

Post by vrflyer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:42 pm

^^^ Waiting patiently as well. 8)
Always Under Construction !

shakey_1

Post by shakey_1 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:50 am

I do have a question for you about restricted and unavilable characters. It looks like you can set some restricted characters to be ignored like these ~ . : | = by placing them into the space-delimited list. Can you not also allow certain unavailable characters the same way or is it an all or nothing deal? Say for instance, someones name was D'arby and you wanted to allow just the apostrophe?

ZombieSlayer

Post by ZombieSlayer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:11 am

Hi Wo1f :)

I figured since I tested the first draft I might as well give the Beta a shot ;) I'm installing this manually because I use the CH Mod and it makes significant changes to tpl and php files. Once I get it to work on my board if there's significant changes needed I'll email the changes to you so you can release a CH compatible version ;)

I found a clarification that needs to be made in the install instructions.

#
templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl
#
<input type="text"  class="post" name="username" maxlength="25" size="25" tabindex="1" value="{USERNAME}" />

#
#-----[ IN-LINE FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

#
#-----[ IN-LINE REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------
#
{TOTAL_UN}
You didn't specify which 25 to replace. Suggested fix is

#
#
maxlength="25"

#
#
maxlength="{TOTAL_UN}"
Ok no changes needed to install on a CH MOD'd board :)

There is something wrong with the install instructions in the download compared to what you posted here :(

The install only has 22 files to edit...here there's 27 :? The version in the Beta link is different.

So I can't finish the install since I don't know what to edit in the other files :(

Here's the install file from the Beta link you posted (at least the one I got earlier tonight)

## MOD Title: [2.0.19] Restrict Username Size
## MOD Description: Allows the administrator to set through the ACP, a minimum and maximun value for the number of characters allowed in a user name.  
## MOD Version: 1.0.4
##
## Installation Level: Easy
## Installation Time: ~ 15 Minutes
## Files To Edit: 22
##      admin/admin_board.php,
## License: http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php GNU General Public License v2
This is the jsc install file

## MOD Title: [2.0.19] Restrict Username Size
## MOD Description: Allows the administrator to set through the ACP, a minimum and maximun value for the number of characters allowed in a user name.  
## MOD Version: 1.1.4
##
## Installation Level: Easy
## Installation Time: ~ 15 Minutes
## Files To Edit: admin/admin_board.php,

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:29 am

shakey_1 wrote: I do have a question for you about restricted and unavilable characters. It looks like you can set some restricted characters to be ignored like these ~ . : | = by placing them into the space-delimited list. Can you not also allow certain unavailable characters the same way or is it an all or nothing deal? Say for instance, someones name was D'arby and you wanted to allow just the apostrophe?

Very good question shakey_1 and I'm glad you brought it up. As it stands now, you could possibly include in the restricted list (when allowed) additionnal characters from the unavailable list. Certain characters such as the apostrophe is not one of them. It dosen't mean that I'm not open to suggestions, even to the point of allowing any characters from the unavailable list to be used at the discretion of the admin. :wink:

But one of the many goals of this mod was to remove potentially problematic characters from use. Problematic characters that make it difficult to search for or even skew search results by username. Others such as numbers, that are commonly used by automated spam-bots who submit usernames such as " nK1FWu36 '. And even though they managed to bypass the agreement screen, the form still has to be submitted and will be nailed if you do not allow these. Another layer of protection to make it more difficult to succeed with this type of abuse.

Bottom line is, if you believe that certain characters currently in the " unavailable " list should be moved instead to the restricted list (to be used at the discretion of the admin.), just let me know and I'll be more than willing to give you that flexibility. One of the reasons I posted this beta here is to get this kind of feedback on the features also.

Let me know,
Wolf

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:23 am

ZombieSlayer wrote: I figured since I tested the first draft I might as well give the Beta a shot ;) I'm installing this manually because I use the CH Mod and it makes significant changes to tpl and php files. Once I get it to work on my board if there's significant changes needed I'll email the changes to you so you can release a CH compatible version ;)

You rock Zombie! :lol: And on the other hand I would of been curious to see how EM would of handle it on a heavily modded board, as I did make the finds as mod friendly as I could. :wink:

ZombieSlayer wrote: I found a clarification that needs to be made in the install instructions.

#
templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl
#
<input type="text"  class="post" name="username" maxlength="25" size="25" tabindex="1" value="{USERNAME}" />

#
#

#
#
{TOTAL_UN}
You didn't specify which 25 to replace. Suggested fix is

#
#
maxlength="25"

#
#
maxlength="{TOTAL_UN}"

The mod team will love you for this one. You're referring to v1.04 as this was corrected in beta v1.1.5 - this was also suggested by the MOD team at validation time. A good rule of thumb though when faced with situations like these is, always from top of the file to bottom and from the left of a line to the right. But like I said, it's already corrected. I'm impressed though. :wink:
ZombieSlayer wrote: Ok no changes needed to install on a CH MOD'd board :)

Yeah! Great news.
ZombieSlayer wrote: There is something wrong with the install instructions in the download compared to what you posted here :(

OK. Clarification.
  1. Restrict Username Size v1.0.4 and v1.1.4 are exactly the same except for the remaining character counter. There's a "js" for javascript in the v1.1.4 filename to tell them apart. Both modify 22 files and allow you to specify a minimun and a maximun number of characters in a username. It will also standardize all "maxlength" property for the username input field on your board to the value you specify in the ACP. Why give someone the possibility of typing more characters than allowed in a username field? It's just asking for potential trouble. Also, the minimun value (especially set at 4) was to avoid search problems when usernames contained less than 4 characters. This about sums up the released versions (v1.0.4 and v1.1.4) capabilities.
ZombieSlayer wrote: The install only has 22 files to edit...here there's 27 :? The version in the Beta link is different.

Different... yes, in the sense that beta v1.1.5 offers a lot more bang for the buck so to speek. So it's normal that more files needed to be modified. But the original code from v1.0.4 is still there.

ZombieSlayer wrote: So I can't finish the install since I don't know what to edit in the other files :(

I'm a little bit confused. Did you start installing beta v1.1.5 or you're considering it? If you started already, read on...

My suggestion to you, is to start at the beginning of beta v1.1.5 as if you were installing it for the first time. For example, the first 3 files to edit, were not part of v1.0.4, so you can do all edits as is. Then the next one " admin/admin_board.php " was part of v1.0.4, so in this case check the edits you need to do from beta v1.1.5 and compare them to the edits of v1.04 and you'll see what needs to be done. So you'll need to set yourself up with both instruction files side-by-side. It's not as bad as it sounds, you'll see what I mean after a little while. If you're still unsure about this, just let me know and I'll help as best I can to get you going with this.

If you haven't started installing beta v1.1.5, read on...

Also, there's a few modifications I'm going to be making within the next day or so, as the 2 remaining issues I mentionned in my opening post have been resolved.

Might want to wait a little bit for this to be done... unless you have no choice. Whatever you decide, I'm there to help you.

Let me know,
Wolf

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”