[BETA] Restrict Username

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Rossco_

Post by Rossco_ » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:08 am

Yeh man sure thing, always happy to help, especially when its a great mod like this one 8)

Columba livia

Post by Columba livia » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:44 am

So, Wo1f, you pointed me this way a while back and it's worked fine for me in preventing people from using numbers in thier names (the main reason that I wanted it).

However, I'm wondering now if the space is a really a disallowed character? I'd like people to be able to use the space in thier name, is there a quick way to do this without waiting for the 1.1.7 release?

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:15 pm

Hi Columba livia,

I've re-started working on Restrict Username recently and expect to be done soon. I still can't give you an ETC as I may be pulled away from the project again (unlikely but possible). For your request, I had a similar one from ^Andy^ a little while ago and managed to discouraged him using the space in the context of Restrict Username v1.1.6. He managed to allow other characters by playing with the "restricted" characters list. I don't suggest you do this especially without the certainty that a change you might make would not weaken your board security-wise.

The following screen capture is the "revised" ACP layout and features from Restrict Username v1.1.7, which I hope will strengthen your resolve to be patient for a little while still:

Best regards,
Wolf :wink:

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:18 pm

What can i say, another great MOD from my friend Wolf :)

It's looking really good, well done :)

Mark

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:12 pm

Thanks Mark! :wink:

Now if only I can finish it. :lol:

Best regards,
Wolf

Columba livia

Post by Columba livia » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:17 am

I can wait, but I'm excited. The new features should be good, and I'm intrigued by the "name" option...

My forum doesn't get much traffic anyway (about6 users total right now.) But I have to be prepared for the inevitable onslaught of new users in the immediate future. *wink*

Anyhow, I sincerely appreciate your work on this mod. It is and will be, no doubt, a staple on many forums.

~C. livia

Dagon

Post by Dagon » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:12 pm

This is a fantastic mod for many reasons. :) Has there been any recent progress on this?

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:14 pm

Hi Dagon,

Yes, there has, but I'm stuck on a block of code right now, and can't dedicate enough time to it to solve my dilemna. I'm also weery of saying anything at this point, as I thought v1.1.7 would of been available at least a month ago (if not more). If it's any consolation, I do not intend on stopping development, it's just a lack of "quality" coding time that just dosen't want to go away for now.

I also have dedicated more time than I wanted to on a new version of "User Shield" which has been released in the MOD db, which does not help with Restrict Username, but is very helpful in acquiring the experience to see Restrict Username through.

Thanks for the interest and nudge, I am trying.

Best regards,

Fysloc

Post by Fysloc » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:23 am

hi, im a newb here so ill get straight to the point, i got an error with easymod, i can see everything as it should (except EMC, its at no) and i press process, i get critical error

FIND FAILED: In file [admin/admin_board.php] could not find:

$new['cookie_name'] = str_replace('.', '_', $new['cookie_name']);
}

and then basically alot of script code that was supposedly sussesful, but nothing of the mod been installed into the board... so how do i fix this?

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:42 am

Hi Fysloc,

Not that I'm trying to discourage you, but I won't be able to offer an upgrade file for those who have install v1.1.6a when v1.1.7 comes out. Also, it is strongly recommended to install v1.1.6a on a demo board, not a live board. That said, are you still there?

The reason EasyMOD is coughing up on that one is this... located on page 3 of this thread.
Wo1f wrote: The new phpBB v2.0.20 has been released. A small adjustment in this file --> admin/admin_board.php is needed to allow a successful installation when using EasyMOD v0.3.0 beta.

FIND this code (located in the instruction file - install_restrict_username_beta_v1_1_6a.txt):

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
admin/admin_board.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
			$cookie_name = str_replace('.', '_', $new['cookie_name']);
		}
... and REPLACE with this code:

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
admin/admin_board.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
			$new['cookie_name'] = str_replace('.', '_', $new['cookie_name']);
		}

You need to make this change then reinstall with EM. Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
Wolf

Fysloc

Post by Fysloc » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:08 pm

thx wo1f, it works all good now, and i dont care really if it messes up the board, theres nothing on it, just installed it

Dagon

Post by Dagon » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:12 am

Still interested. :) The current version would work for me, but I don't like not having an easy upgrade path. I also worry about stability. Has stability been an issue with this version?

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:23 pm

Hi Dagon,
Dagon wrote: Still interested. :) The current version would work for me, but I don't like not having an easy upgrade path. I also worry about stability. Has stability been an issue with this version?

Yes, the current version would work for you as it has worked for many users. But it still is a "beta" and should not be installed in a live environment. The fact that there will not be an upgrade path is also a very imporatant factor to consider.

There is also the possibility for an admin. to introduce other characters in the "restricted" characters list that Restrict Username was not coded to handle well. The list content is clear, but since the entered data is not validated, there is potential for some problems.

This issue has been completely resolved in Restrict Username v1.1.7 - which has not been abandonned btw, quite the contrary.

Conclusion: It's worth the wait. But, if you can't wait and are willing to uninstall Restrict Username v1.1.6a when v1.1.7 comes out, then it's your call. But keep in mind not to introduce restricted characters that are not specified in the restricted list.

Best regards,

Columba livia

Post by Columba livia » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:41 am

How's progress, Wolf?

Does your cheer squad need to step it up a notch? ;)

"2-4-6-8 Who do we..." etc. etc.

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:08 pm

:lol:

I'm in the final stages for a major update to User Shield, and once done I go back to Restrict Username, but this time with a lot more tricks in my bag. Should make the code even leaner and meaner. My "dedicated time to coding" is still a problem, but not for long... if nothing changes.

And I now feel the pressure, if that's what you wanted. :wink:

Best regards,
Wolf

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”