[BETA] phpBB Wordgraph MOD

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

[BETA] phpBB Wordgraph MOD

Post by pentapenguin »

MOD Title: phpBB Wordgraph MOD
MOD Description: This MOD generates a list of your forum's most used words and shows them in relative font sizes so that the most used words are the largest in font size. It is a little hard to describe, so check out the demo below.
MOD Version: 0.1.0

MOD Download: SourceForge.net
Last Stable version: n/a

Demo Board: www.pentapenguin.com/forum/wordgraph.php
Demo Username: n/a
Demo Password: n/a

Screenshots:

Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
JakeNess

Post by JakeNess »

Looks neat, I'll try it.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

oops, Nevermind I just read that the Page ID Extension MOD is required for this MOD to work. is the mod compatible with 2.0.19? hasn't been updated since 03.

::edit:: ok I see why not a lot of folks replied to that thread. don't really need it, but ok... I'll be a good sport about it.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Looks cool! Will this slow down my board?
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

Peter77sx wrote: oops, Nevermind I just read that the Page ID Extension MOD is required for this MOD to work. is the mod compatible with 2.0.19? hasn't been updated since 03.

Yup, it works nicely with 2.0.19 on my site.

Peter77sx wrote:
::edit:: ok I see why not a lot of folks replied to that thread. don't really need it, but ok... I'll be a good sport about it.

:P
You don't really need any MOD but if you're a Flickr fan, then you might like this MOD since it was inspired by Flickr.
eviL<3 wrote: Looks cool! Will this slow down my board?

This MOD makes no real changes to any file except for Wordgraph.php so no problems there in other files. On my site, I have over 100,000 words in the database and the SQL query takes only less than a second to execute so unless you have more words than I do and you're on a slow server, then no, it shouldn't make any difference. Hope this helps. :)
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Okay, that's cool. And does it use Words based on view Permissions, or based on the actual words?
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

eviL<3 wrote: Okay, that's cool. And does it use Words based on view Permissions, or based on the actual words?

It's the actual words.
dcz

Post by dcz »

Another nice addition ;)

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS
MIS-ONE

Post by MIS-ONE »

I like this a lot. Would there be any way to only show words from the past 30 days? Sort of like how a tag cloud works.
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

MIS-ONE wrote: I like this a lot. Would there be any way to only show words from the past 30 days? Sort of like how a tag cloud works.

Very good question but the answer is probably not. Reason: for the search engine, phpBB stores a list of every word that is used on the board. If you go to the phpbb_search_wordlist table, you can see all the words. That's all this MOD does -- it just tallies up the top x number of words. To do what you ask would require a really complex SQL query to match up every word with the post its associated with and the date. It's technically possible but it wouldn't be a good idea since it would take a long time for it to do all of that. I'll think about it though. Thanks for the idea though. :)
dcz

Post by dcz »

Then some could consider to rather use the google (or whatever else search engine) to output results instead of the phpbb search function in order to save some server ressources.

To do so open wordgraph.php :
Find :

Code: Select all

'WORD_SEARCH_URL' => append_sid("search.$phpEx?search_keywords=" . urlencode($word)),
Replace with :

'WORD_SEARCH_URL' => 'http://www.google.fr/search?&q=' . urlencode($word),
This could also be set so you use a "your site only search", but it would reqire to be pretty well indexed.

Replacing with this instead :

'WORD_SEARCH_URL' => 'http://www.google.fr/search?&q=site%3A'.$board_config['server_name'] . '+' . urlencode($word),

The word finding part is nice and fast, thx.

++

JakeNess

Post by JakeNess »

Very good toy, I like it.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Hey dcz, that was a pretty neat add on. thanks! :)
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

Neat idea dcz. :)
dcz

Post by dcz »

pentapenguin wrote: Neat idea dcz. :)

Thanks ;)

Actually, it could be nice to add a form to allow search engine selection while checking those links.

Anyway, again, another nice one by you :)

++

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”