[BETA] Simple Quick Reply 1.9.3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Merri

[BETA] Simple Quick Reply 1.9.3

Post by Merri » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:16 pm

MOD Title: Simple Quick Reply 2
MOD Description: Adds a simple quick reply box to viewtopic.
MOD Version: 1.9.3 (BETA 3)

MOD Download: http://merri.net/mods/sqr2_193.zip
Last Stable version: 1.0.0 (the version submitted to MODs DB appears to be slightly flawed although it works fine for most users; I might've uploaded a wrong ZIP file)

After almost a year of silence, I'm updating this mod to the next level. The new version improves the old one in several areas:
  • More flexibility: easier to customize, easier to move elsewhere in the template, easier to add more visible fields and so on.
  • Link to smileys popup.
  • Fixed a few minor bugs.
  • Optional extensions!
  • Floatbox Extension: makes quick reply hidden until made visible by user, quick reply floats on top of the page and can be moved and hidden. Also adds an easy text select quoting feature.
  • Guest Switch Extension adds an option into ACP to enable/disable from guests.
Last edited by Merri on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 14 times in total.

flipkipje

Post by flipkipje » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:01 pm

Hey, I have your original Simple Quick Reply mod installed on my forum, which is working great!
I'd like to wish you good luck with this update :)
Merri wrote: I've considered releasing "extension mods" along with the release of the mod. The main aim would be to do such things as the Quick Reply button that would make the reply box visible in the posting page; and by default the box wouldn't be visible at all until the button is clicked. Comments on this are welcome Smile

Maybe you should make it optional (acp or user cp) whether to hide or show it on default?

smitjel

Re: [BETA] Simple Quick Reply 1.9.0

Post by smitjel » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:02 pm

Merri wrote: I've considered releasing "extension mods" along with the release of the mod. The main aim would be to do such things as the Quick Reply button that would make the reply box visible in the posting page; and by default the box wouldn't be visible at all until the button is clicked. Comments on this are welcome :)

Funny you mention this...I just released a mod that pretty much does all this, including the dhtml show/hide. Back in September of last year I was looking around for a good quick reply mod. Yours worked great but as you've found out, it needed just a little more. I didn't need all the features of the Super quick reply either so I wrote my own. Also, my mod doesn't require database updates (if you have reply ability, you get the quick reply button) and I've included addons for even more customization.

Good luck on your new one!
My Quick Reply MOD for phpBB2

Merri

Post by Merri » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:48 pm

If you take a look into my development forum, I've just gone a step further :) The box scrolls with the screen when made visible, thus making it easy to use the browsers native ability to select and drag'n'drop text.

This new mod requires a database update thanks to adding a on/off switch for guests into the admin panel as this has been a much requested feature. So it is just an extra feature over your one, besides that my mod works just the same :)

smitjel

Post by smitjel » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:17 pm

Drag and drop text? Sounds interesting...
My Quick Reply MOD for phpBB2

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:26 pm

Hello,

We see that you've posted your MOD's contents in your topic starter. Please instead offer your MOD as a textfile download (uploading your MOD's install textfile to a server and giving a direct link, with no registration restrictions), rather than posting the MOD's contents in your post, as you have done.

Thank you for your cooperation,
The phpBB MOD Team
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

flipkipje

Post by flipkipje » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:09 pm

oops, sorry for double post :oops: can't seem to delete either
Last edited by flipkipje on Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

flipkipje

Post by flipkipje » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:15 pm

wow, looking nice!

I'd suggest making a button in the quick reply box to close it though, it can be irritating if you want to close it but don't immediatly think about clicking the quick reply button again.

Xplorer4x4

Post by Xplorer4x4 » Wed May 03, 2006 10:48 pm

When I try to run the install script it says i have to log in as an admin....but I am logged in as an admin.

So I added the session id from the URL and it worked. ;)

I must have done something wrong, it only shows at the bottom of the page. It doesnt work like your version. :(

Oh and I am unable to change my styles now! :(

I will re do the edits to see where if it was me.

Merri

Post by Merri » Thu May 04, 2006 1:46 pm

The current version running on my dev forum is a more developed version and not the same as the code up there. I'll see if I get myself to update the first post, add downloadable files etc...

Xplorer4x4

Post by Xplorer4x4 » Thu May 04, 2006 5:54 pm

That would be great as I like yours the best from what I have seen. :)

Merri

Post by Merri » Thu May 04, 2006 8:05 pm

I have now released version 1.9.1, however I have made no testing on the MOD so there might be a typo or some other small glitch that prevents the MOD from working properly. At the moment I'm trying to figure out if there is an easy way to make a dev forum with easyMOD instantly installed... probably not, so I'll just have to bear with uploading easyMOD over and over again when I need to test a new installation. I already have one other MOD waiting checking installation out on my todo list.

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Post by lurttinen » Thu May 04, 2006 8:15 pm

Merri wrote: I have now released version 1.9.1, however I have made no testing on the MOD so there might be a typo or some other small glitch that prevents the MOD from working properly.

It crashes my explorer when i click the quick reply button on your test site.

Firefox behaves oddly too.
It opens the popup, but it closes immediately and redirects to the normal reply screen.
Signature is here

Merri

Post by Merri » Thu May 04, 2006 9:10 pm

Darn, I guess I've made a recent change I didn't remember I've made. It did work on IE, but some changes could cause it to crash. Wonder if I can remember what kind of changes I did a month back... other things have kept me busy.

The quick reply button links to the default reply screen by default, this behavior is disabled once the page has loaded completely. I can't change this, atleast not without making critical changes and even after those changes it would work only on Gecko-based browsers and IE.

You might also want to check if any Firefox extension messes up with the page, ie. effects JavaScript behavior.

Xplorer4x4

Post by Xplorer4x4 » Thu May 04, 2006 10:00 pm

I havent tested it yet, but I will look into it on my test board later. This is my most anticpated hack to see working at the moment.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”