[MODDB]Better Captcha

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Josh Yelon

Post by Josh Yelon » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:27 am

I'm a little surprised too. I posted about this in the main anti-spam thread, too. A few people downloaded it. Nobody commented postively except you. Over at the developers board (area51), somebody suggested the same approach to the developers, and he was harshly slapped down. So they're really not interested.

What can I say... I would think that a phpbb2 improvement that solves the bot problem once and for all would be of interest, but you can never tell what people are going to go for. Anyhow, I have a job, so I can't really spend a lot of time promoting this. If people want it, it's there for the taking.

cactus2clouds

Post by cactus2clouds » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:17 am

If you used your captcha in an email service....you would probably never have to work again. Especially if it was user-friendly to allow people to upload their own photos and write their own question for incoming mail from strangers. The only issue is when it's necessary to accept automatic emails, in which case you just clear your bulk mail and then immediately check it. Yahoo's anti-spam is not perfect, and even if it was, it's annoying to see the bulk folder in bold letters. A silent bulk folder is the way to go, then once you okay the automatic message it accepts future mail from that sender. Just a thought. Maybe somebody out there will try this..... Thanks anyways for your work on this. Hope it gets the ball rolling. I hate spam with a passion.

nikolas-rover200

Post by nikolas-rover200 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:55 pm

can someone explain to me what is the gd extension and how can be loaded? and turned on?
thanks in advance

nikolas-rover200

Post by nikolas-rover200 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:09 pm

i found that gd extension is on but i have a problem..
neither the image is loaded nor the default image is shown..it's just an "x" that hasn't traced the image.. all proceedure was followed as it was supposed to be..

nikolas-rover200

Post by nikolas-rover200 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:21 am

noone willing to help? :(

cactus2clouds

Post by cactus2clouds » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:43 am

I wish I could. You got farther than me. My guess is that you forgot to create the new directory and place the images there. I don't know very much PHP. :(

cactus2clouds

Post by cactus2clouds » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:45 am

You mean the original captcha doesn't work anymore? In the configuration menu, there should be an option to choose which visual confirmation you want to use. (It just tells me the GD extensions need to be installed.)

cactus2clouds

Post by cactus2clouds » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:37 am

I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/

For awhile I couldn't stop laughing. The only thing wrong was this little bit of code right here:

if (!extension_loaded("GD")) <-- occurs twice

if (extension_loaded("GD"))

(extension_loaded("GD")

"GD" needs to be "gd" lowercase. Can't be uppercase. This is incredibly funny because it's so ironic that it was that simple. My guess is that, at the last minute, Josh decided to add that bit in, realizing that some people don't have GD extensions. Since we normally capitalize abbreviations, it's natural to write the code that way, but some servers apparently only recognize "gd" in lowercase.

For somebody installing this for the first time, it's simple to just go through the modification instructions and make those 4 replacements. If you've already installed it, then it's easier to open up the files and make the changes. They are

admin/admin_board.php
includes/usercp_confirm.php
includes/usercp_register.php <-- "GD" occurs twice

And don't forget to put *unique* photos in your library and maybe customize the question to the theme of your forum. I'm going to bed, but I'll probably say something like "Put a checkmark next to mountain climbing photos. Do not click on household appliances." The nice thing about that one is that the mountain photos will have a lot of snow, and some household appliances are white, so that would mess with any spambot trying to crack my photo library. :twisted:

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:30 pm

Sorry about my late reaction, but Iam very busy atm.
I has tonight updated better captcha. It has some fixes in it, and also new font files, from phpBB3. I have submitted them to the moddb also. Download: http://paulscripts.nl/better_captcha101.zip
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

davidtebbutt

Post by davidtebbutt » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:30 pm

I don't think I'm stupid, but I'm content to be proved wrong.

I copied the includes/*.* to includes/ with /fonts still holding the fonts. (Is that how it should be?)

I modified the profile.php as suggested.

I ignored the modx.subsilver.en.xsl file, although I wondered if that needed to be in templates/subsilver

And the result was: a blank area where the default Captcha used to be.

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks.
David Tebbutt
http://www.tebbo.com/

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:33 pm

That subsilver file is for modx template. The fonts directory must be in /includes/fonts/*.ttf. If it still not work, your host will probaly doesn't have GD installed.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

davidtebbutt

Post by davidtebbutt » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:04 pm

We actually use GD ourselves. So it's not that.

The fonts are as they should be.

I don't know what modx is - does that mean I need to do something with it or not?

Maybe I got the wrong idea about which version of phpbb this works on. We're on 2.0.21
David Tebbutt

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:55 pm

It works correct with 2.0.21, so you must have do something wrong. I has installed him with easymod, and by hand, and both works.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

davidtebbutt

Post by davidtebbutt » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:24 pm

Okay - thanks. I guess I'll have to try a bit harder.
David Tebbutt

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:52 pm

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=473222
Mod is in MODDB, support can be found there, topic closed.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”