[RC2] Anti Bot Question

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
helvissa

Post by helvissa » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:23 am

MagMo wrote: You made the same error as rtoupin. You find the solution for this problem here (/EDIT 2).

Hi, I've redone it, but it's still coming up with that message when I click on 'Register'.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ',' in /home/helvacom/public_html/prettypettythieves/messageboard/includes/usercp_register.php on line 110

Also... (sorry about all these questions!) I've been setting up my own questions, and the thing I was wondering was this... does the programme automatically generate 'wrong' answers?

For example, if the correct answer is A., would the programme generate wrong answers for B, C and D? Because I put in my own wrong answers, and then thought, "Hang on, how do I tell it which is the right answer?"

Erm... if you see what I mean!

jenereaux

Post by jenereaux » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:55 pm

MagMo,

Thanks for putting time and effort into this mod. You are avoiding spam headaches for a LOT of people. Thank You so much! It works great!

Steve

munque

Post by munque » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:12 am

Great work! Thank you!

I really like this mod. I had fun writing my own questions and using images specific to our forum content. One could go overboard on the questions and make them riddles. LOL. And we have not had one BOT register since.

I installed it on top of the instant-ban mod which sends me email when a BOT blindly submits a sign-up form that includes the standard phpBB question abput website, and I see that BOTS are still doing that and getting bounced. They would have got bounced anyway with anti-bot.

One question: If I ever have to remove this Mod in the future, can the modifications make with the db_update file remain in place?

helvissa

Post by helvissa » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:55 am

Dear Magmo, I've worked out what I did wrong.... I'm really sorry to have bothered you so much with my incessant daft questions.

I've set up the customised questions (I worked that bit out as well!), and everything's fine. Thanks so much for putting all this together and being so helpful as well. It's really, really fantastic! :wink:

MagMo

Post by MagMo » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:27 am

munque wrote: One question: If I ever have to remove this Mod in the future, can the modifications make with the db_update file remain in place?
Yes

DeeDeeINFJ

Post by DeeDeeINFJ » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:10 pm

Not a single bot registration since I installed. THANK YOU! :D

prokopton72

Post by prokopton72 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:05 pm

MagMo,

Congratulations, MagMo. I've tried several mods but this is the only Mod I'm aware that has been effective against spambots. I've had zero bot registrations since installing this Mod.

The reason it's very effective is that it allows the individual webmaster to create their own questions and answers. There aren't precreated images that bots can determine. You can use your imagine and come up with great questions.

Here is an example of what can be done with this Mod.

"Jack and Jill ran up a hill carrying a PlayStation."

Possible questions:

Who did Jack run up the hill with? (Jill)
Who did Jill run up the hill with? (Jack)
What were they carrying? (Playstation)
Were they running up a mountain, hill, ladder, or escalator? (hill)
What is the 4th word in the sentence? (ran)
How many words are there in the sentence? (10)

The possibilites are endless with this Mod.

Again, thanks MagMo! Keep up the good work.
School, friends, family, Internet.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:42 am

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for this mod. It is the answer to a prayer. This problem was driving me nuts!!
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

julesagogo

Post by julesagogo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:26 pm

Thanks MagMo - very much looking forward to no more spam registrations!

I have issues I need help with (in bold) but wanted to share my experience with installing the mod since it's in RC.

My installation:

URL: http://board.coastals.org
Template(s) used: subsilver
Language(s): English
MODs: Version of phpBB: 2.021
Which database server and version: Apache 2.0.48 (Fedora) 2400 + AMD CPU 1024 MB DDR Ram Dual processor
Host: www.canaca.com
Did someone install this for you/who: Me
Is this an upgrade/from what to what: 2.0.10 (successive upgrades since 9/29/2004)
Is this a conversion/from what to what: No

I put the anti-bot-question_v_1_0_3 folder into the admin/mods directory and began to process it through EasyMod - I encountered the language error so deleted the french/german code in the mod and tried again. It was successful; it said it could not create the image/anti-bot folder but it did; it could not process the SQL (no SQL to process) so I put db_update.php in the forum's root folder, ran it and verified the table was created. Users can log in and post and I created some test registrations.

I set the configuration to look like this using the preloaded questions/answers and was able to see images and correctly (and incorrectly) answer questions. In this image, you'll see the box at the top does not have an error message in it; the field descriptions aren't showing either.

What does "Select the name of the POST-variabel" element do? I'm guessing it adds a variable string to the end of ...something.
I'd like to put the following on the registration page below the question: "Refresh your browser to get a different question."

Notes/Thoughts:
  • apple vs. appel
    Preloaded airplane question doesn't have an image associated with it
    If there is only one language admins can delete the INSERT statements in db_update.php for the unused languages prior to processing
    Maybe the bild element would be clearer if it was worded this way:
    Use bild.php to show images
    Bild.php makes the identification of images more difficult for Bots, however this function depends on the server configuration; it will not work on all servers. If you see an image below, your server supports this function and it can be activated.

Add a "get a different question" button on the registration page
Very nice job and thanks again!

MagMo

Post by MagMo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:31 am

Hi,
julesagogo wrote: In this image, you'll see the box at the top does not have an error message in it; the field descriptions aren't showing either.
Did the EasyMod make all necessary changes? In particular this change:

Code: Select all

# 
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------------ 
# 
language/lang_english/lang_main.php

# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------------ 
# 
?>

# 
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]------------------------------------------------ 
# 
// Anti Bot Question Mod - Start
$lang['ABQ_explain'] = 'This question is unfortunately necessary in order to make automatic registrations more difficult.';
$lang['ABQ_post_explain'] = 'This question is unfortunately necessary in order to make automatic postings more difficult.';
$lang['ABQ_explain2'] = '(case sensitive)';
$lang['ABQ_Incorrect'] = 'The Anti-Bot-Question answer you entered was incorrect.';
$lang['ABQ_Question'] = 'Anti-Bot-Question';
$lang['ABQ_Answer'] = 'Your answer';
// Anti Bot Question Mod - End
It seems to be missing.
julesagogo wrote: What does "Select the name of the POST-variabel" element do? I'm guessing it adds a variable string to the end of ...something.
This is the name of the "answer variable". You can change the name. Why? If you change the name, in different forums the answer variable has different names. What is that good for? Creating a bot, which can answer the questions in different forums, is more complicated.
julesagogo wrote: I'd like to put the following on the registration page below the question: "Refresh your browser to get a different question."
I will think about it. Maybe i insert this function into the next version.
julesagogo wrote: Maybe the bild element would be clearer if it was worded this way:
Use bild.php to show images
Bild.php makes the identification of images more difficult for Bots, however this function depends on the server configuration; it will not work on all servers. If you see an image below, your server supports this function and it can be activated.
Good suggestion. I will change it in the next version.

julesagogo

Post by julesagogo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:15 am

MagMo wrote: Hi,
Did the EasyMod make all necessary changes?

That's it - no, it didn't (and didn't give an error message fyi). I added the refresh info to the explain lines. Thanks again!
MagMo wrote: This is the name of the "answer variable". You can change the name. Why? If you change the name, in different forums the answer variable has different names. What is that good for? Creating a bot, which can answer the questions in different forums, is more complicated.

Just to be sure I understand it - this will add a "user-defined" (from the selections) variable string to the end of the correct answers in the database; if a bot uses the "default" it will have a better chance of guessing answers, especially if the questions and answers aren't changed, so if I change the questions and answer variable on my forums to something close to a random selection the bot will have a harder time guessing the answers - correct?

tyreefrancis

nothing appears on register screen

Post by tyreefrancis » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:16 am

it appears that something is up. i think it's with the <a href="http://www.luakabop.com/forums/posting.php.txt"> posting.php</a> file. the register screen doesn't appear. the new topic screen doesn't appear. the reply section doesn't appear. i have no idea why this would be occurring. any help would be greatly appreciated. i can log into the admin section, and specify questions, but cannot see any of the questions i specify. other than not being able to post topics or replies, or register, everything seems to work fine. please help!
thanks in advance.

cwe

Post by cwe » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:27 pm

Just installed manually and everything appears to be working perfectly. Thanks for the mod.
I'm using phpBB for an epilepsy forum.

emtohio
Name: Dave Stevens

Post by emtohio » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:00 pm

Would anyone being willing to donate thier time to the American Red Cross to add this mod. I can not figire it out. I tried to do it with easy mod but did not work.

Please help if possible. Also those who have their own Biz can use this as a donation and deduct it from you taxes.

akslee

Post by akslee » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:52 am

Great mod indeed. This was much much needed to fight spam registration. Big thank you to the author, MagMo.

As I browsed through this thread for tips and trouble people come across installing this mod, I noticed some are asking for help to install this for them.
I am willing to offer my services to help people out.

You can see from my site that it is heavily modified. And because of so many mods, I hand code everything instead of running Easy Mods. Yes, no short cuts, and it is a pain in the ass, but it also gives me the opportunity to understand the inner workings of the structure of the forum software.

Anyway, PM me if you want help. At this time, I will do it for free, as a gesture of good will.
"If you have a great time teaching your child, and your child has a great time, there simply isn't anyway you can lose."

www.ChildBrain.org

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”