[RC2] Anti Bot Question

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
dpicella

Link to Anti Bot Question Mod

Post by dpicella »

Where can I get the latest Anti Bot Question Mod in english?

Thanks.
jaeysson

Post by jaeysson »

Thats the problem...ProfilCP changes the register page to profilcp_register.php. The forum doesn't even use usercp_register.php anymore. I did find in profilcp_register where it points to the tpl but when I add the code for anti bot it doesn't show.
dpicella

ProfilCP Template Conflict

Post by dpicella »

I get it.

On your profilCP template (I don't use that mod), it souds like you may have a switch for the anti bot question mod nested within a switch for profilCP.

Take a good look at the template tutorial by xoore
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=200

Section 8 is for nested loops/switches. Make sure you pay close attention to the tip icon and then the requirements for the PHP and template side. That should solve your problem.

There is a limitation to how far you can go with this and it will require some creative programming to make this compatible but it sounds like it can be done.
dracodrage

Post by dracodrage »

dervast wrote: I have just installed the Anti Bot Question Mod.. I dont know how to make it work . In the administration panel i can see the Anti Bot Question Mod options and i cant view the configuration,questions and version check options... I can change and add entries.. so no problem at all. The main problem is that when i want to register i cant see anywhere the question i have entered,,,

I have exactly the same problem. Have not found what I did wrong. Tried to install twice.

Anything to do with chkmod rights?
markyis_cool

Post by markyis_cool »

I was having a REAL bad problem with spam lately.

About 5-7 registrants per day and at least one would post comment spam or topic spam (one had pictures included).

I installed this today and have tested it thoroughly and am extremely pleased with it.
I even decided to rely upon it instead of the CAPTCHA as two confirmations is annoying for a user.
Before, I had enabled the admin confirm which was rubbish as it was very time consuming with 7 registrats per day.

This post is simply a thankyou for hopefully solving my problem.

If anyone would like a preview of it in action it can be seen at arctic-monkeys.com/forum
Schnorrer42

Post by Schnorrer42 »

Really? It took me several tries to get it right,,,, it didn't like "apple" or "an apple" it didn't like "arctic monkeys" but it did accept "Earth" as the answer to the 4th try I made, then I got an error about it couldn't connect to the SMTP server line 122 in smtp.php, so I assume I will never get the authentication email.

Some defense! No spammers, but nobody else can sign up either!
safe_reader

Post by safe_reader »

Alright, Im getting so much spam a day, I'll give this one a shot this evening (If I get that far)... Hope all goes well...
safe_reader

Post by safe_reader »

Alright! Took me like an hour to get my templates set up. But it looks like we are good to go for now! During the process I got some more spam posted, but I'll be curious to see if anything slips by now that this mod is fully operational. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed, and we'll see by morning.

For now, I turned off that visual confirmation thing. The damn thing has been useless for ages.
markyis_cool

Post by markyis_cool »

Schnorrer42 wrote: Really? It took me several tries to get it right,,,, it didn't like "apple" or "an apple" it didn't like "arctic monkeys" but it did accept "Earth" as the answer to the 4th try I made, then I got an error about it couldn't connect to the SMTP server line 122 in smtp.php, so I assume I will never get the authentication email.

Some defense! No spammers, but nobody else can sign up either!

That's not true.
We had another 3-5 registramts today.

The SMTP error is an internal server problem. I seem to not be able to setup SendMail properly so I'm resorting to using SMTP settings.

It should have accepted apple. I just checked the answer to the question and the problem is with the author.
I assume they are dutch or german and the answer the supplied for the english question was "A) Appel B) appel" which as you can see is wrong.

It should have accepted arctic monkeys without a problem. The only solution to that is you typed artic monkeys or arctic monekys (in other words a mistake on your part).

The apple one was a blatant spelling mistake on the authors part.

Good mod.

"Edit : Tried the arctic monkeys question and had no problems."
safe_reader

Post by safe_reader »

Ok, well I did get at least one spam registration so far. But it is possible it was a human at the other end. Anyhow, the spam has definitely been cut down, which is a good thing. I'm still curious for the results during the rest of this week.
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Please keep us informed! :)

Regards
Wolfgang
rreptile

Post by rreptile »

safe_reader wrote: Ok, well I did get at least one spam registration so far.

I installed this weeks ago and went from tons of spam registrants to zero until one slipped through yesterday. I have no idea if it was a real person or not.

But just in case, I changed all the anti-bot questions so that none of the answers are the same as in the downloaded mod AND none of the answers appear in the questions.

(I love this mod!)
- Reactionary (So... have you backed up your files lately? This is even more important if you're staying with phpBB2)
safe_reader

Post by safe_reader »

I just checked the forum this morning. No spam got through, though it's possible one of the moderators beat me to the cleanup phase.

Good thing you can customize the questions in this puppy, otherwise it would be as useless as the VC within a week.

So far I'm happy. The time spent trying to install it is well worth it.
jannes

Post by jannes »

I was installing this mod on one of my sites that gets about ten spam users every day.

Since the site is in Swedish I did translate the questions and other things so that everything worked in Swedish language. I could config and set up individual questions and class them in Swedish. I also added Swedish entries in to the database.

The problem I got was when the new user would register and hit the submit button. I then get a phpBB error saying:

"Could not locate valid language pack"

and the registration consequently fail.

I have tried to find where this info could be but haven't been able to.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
IPlasma

Post by IPlasma »

i think a fix has been posted here jannes but my german is not that good :oops:

http://www.phpbb.de/viewtopic.php?t=117 ... &start=160

open includes/functions_abq.php

Code: Select all

#---[ FIND ]---
      if (($user_lang != '') && ((preg_match('/^[a-z_]+$/i', $user_lang)) || (!file_exists(@phpbb_realpath($phpbb_root_path . 'language/lang_' . htmlspecialchars($user_lang) . '/lang_main.'.$phpEx)))))

#---[ REPLACE WITH ]---
      if (($user_lang == '') || ((preg_match('/^[a-z_]+$/i', $user_lang)) && (!file_exists(@phpbb_realpath($phpbb_root_path . 'language/lang_' . htmlspecialchars($user_lang) . '/lang_main.'.$phpEx)))))

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”