[RC2] Anti Bot Question

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Re: [RC2] Anti Bot Question

Post by IPB_Refugee »

You might be right. On phpBB.de it has been asked if the problem is related to MagMos MOD (which is IMHO really efficient against spam) or if it´s a problem of vanilla mysql4.php but nobody has given an answer yet.

Bye
Wolfgang
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Consider that MODs not yet available into our MODDB shouldn't be used on live environments.
The validation process takes care of many things and includes also a line-by-line code check.

regards
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
:studio_microphone: Looking for a specific feature or alternative option?
IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Yes, but it also not recommended to use Olympus on a live environment at present. :mrgreen: (Sorry, I couldn´t resist to add this. Please forgive me - it´s very late (or should I say early) here in Austria.)

Time for me to go to bed. Good night!
Wolfgang
HVAC Tech Forum

Post by HVAC Tech Forum »

3Di wrote: Consider that MODs not yet available into our MODDB shouldn't be used on live environments.
The validation process takes care of many things and includes also a line-by-line code check.

regards

Ohhh! :oops: I didn't know that. I just assumed that RC meant it was ok. Isn't that how it works with phpBB, once it hits the RC stage it is okay to use in a live environment? *confused*
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

RC means Release Candidate. Nothing More. :)

Back on topic now, please.
bill21128

Post by bill21128 »

I installed this mod and I must say I haven't had a bot problem ever since. but I do have a question.
I was doing some tests to see how effective this mod is and durring some of my tests I noticed that when I typed in the wrong answer I would get a page that would say "Information" but nothing was stated under where it said information. can you tell me how to correct this or what might be causing this problem. Thank you, and GREAT JOB on this MOD I was having a ton of problems with bots before I installed it.
bill21128

Re:

Post by bill21128 »

You have exceeded the number of registration attempts for this session. Please try again later.
[/quote]

I was reading this entire thread and I cam across this quote, and I know that I am not getting this error when I try multiple times to register. Maybe my problem has something to do with this. All I get is the Information page with no info in it. Can anyone tell me where I may begin to look to correct this?
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

IPB_Refugee wrote: You might be right. On phpBB.de it has been asked if the problem is related to MagMos MOD (which is IMHO really efficient against spam) or if it´s a problem of vanilla mysql4.php but nobody has given an answer yet.

Bye
Wolfgang

Probably there is a duplicate $db->sql_freeresult($var) somewhere in the code, not a Vanilla's issue here IMO.
Last edited by 3Di on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo corrected
Dogs and things

Re: Re:

Post by Dogs and things »

bill21128 wrote:
You have exceeded the number of registration attempts for this session. Please try again later.

I was reading this entire thread and I cam across this quote, and I know that I am not getting this error when I try multiple times to register. Maybe my problem has something to do with this. All I get is the Information page with no info in it. Can anyone tell me where I may begin to look to correct this?

Your language files I guess.
Last edited by Dogs and things on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
andrewsabatier

Post by andrewsabatier »

Hi,

I'm getting a blank registration page and some of the descriptions in the main configuration panel (ie. not the ABQ configuration panel) have disappeared.

I'm using phpBB 2.0.22.

The only thing obviously different in the instructions versus what I found was in the includes/usercp_register.php code is as follows:

Instruction:
$strip_var_list = array('email' => 'email', 'icq' => 'icq', 'aim' => 'aim', 'msn' => 'msn', 'yim' => 'yim', 'website' => 'website', 'location' => 'location', 'occupation' => 'occupation', 'interests' => 'interests', 'confirm_code' => 'confirm_code');

Appeared as:
$strip_var_list = array('username' => 'username', 'email' => 'email', 'icq' => 'icq', 'aim' => 'aim', 'msn' => 'msn', 'yim' => 'yim', 'website' => 'website', 'location' => 'location', 'occupation' => 'occupation', 'interests' => 'interests');
$strip_var_list['confirm_code'] = 'confirm_code';

Implementation
$strip_var_list = array('username' => 'username', 'email' => 'email', 'icq' => 'icq', 'aim' => 'aim', 'msn' => 'msn', 'yim' => 'yim', 'website' => 'website', 'location' => 'location', 'occupation' => 'occupation', 'interests' => 'interests');
$strip_var_list['confirm_code'] = 'confirm_code', 'abq_aw' => $abq_config['postvariablename'], 'idabq' => 'idabq';

Please advise me.

Regards,
Andrew
Johnny Smash

Post by Johnny Smash »

I had this mod installed and it worked, BUT it apparently used a ton of CPU usage? I actually got in trouble with my hosting and had to uninstall it. Turning it off wasn't enough but I had to completely uninstall it. Did I do something wrong or what?
HVAC Tech Forum

Post by HVAC Tech Forum »

Johnny Smash wrote: I had this mod installed and it worked, BUT it apparently used a ton of CPU usage? I actually got in trouble with my hosting and had to uninstall it. Turning it off wasn't enough but I had to completely uninstall it. Did I do something wrong or what?

What version of the mod were you running?
IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Please consider the following:
The "Use multi-images" option requires sufficient free harddrive space on
your webserver. Is this option activated, then ABQ will cache all image
data on the webserver harddrive. Per visitor (session) up to 7 images will
be saved (size per image between 1KB up to 4KB without the FreeType Library
and between 1KB up to 9KB with the FreeType Library). After the session
closes, these images are deleted automatically. We strongly suggest you
evaluate the amount of visitors you have, the average session duration and
available harddrive space before activating this option.

By default this option is set to off. Have you enabled the option? I´m running MagMos ABQ without any problems.

Regards
Wolfgang
Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] »

Hi,

This is a Great MOD!

Nice work ;)
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies | Styles Queue Stats :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate.
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

bill21128

Post by bill21128 »

I just wanted to say thank you for coming up with this mod, I was getting a few forum bots a day posting crap in my forums, and since I have installed the mod I am happy to say I have had ZERO posts from these bots. Thanks again!

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”