[BETA] Wiki integration MOD

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
nlcaldwell

Post by nlcaldwell »

I downloaded the older version to avoid any of the problems listed above, although it meant going without the new search function. I had to make a change to the header.php file and the .css file for my template, but that was really it. Otherwise, this mod is great.

On my forum, I've set it up for interactive stories, aka Choose Your Own Adventure. My members love it and I've run into zero bugs.
Code is poetry.

Also, poetry is poetry.
beggers

Post by beggers »

I'm kind of scratching my head as to why you'd want to develop a Wiki system for phpBB when the real Wiki development system (MediaWiki) is available free from the authors at www.MediaWiki.org . Maybe it would make more sense to develop some ways of exchanging data between phpBB and the MediaWiki system. Just a thought.
nlcaldwell

Post by nlcaldwell »

beggers wrote: I'm kind of scratching my head as to why you'd want to develop a Wiki system for phpBB when the real Wiki development system (MediaWiki) is available free from the authors at www.MediaWiki.org . Maybe it would make more sense to develop some ways of exchanging data between phpBB and the MediaWiki system. Just a thought.

Can't answer for the guy that started this thread, but I saw that and decided against it. The MediaWiki system contained too much for me when what I was looking for was just something simple and basic. Plus, MediaWiki, at least the current version, requires PHP 5.0 when my current hosting provider only has PHP 4.

Alternatives are good, and this is a good alternative.
Code is poetry.

Also, poetry is poetry.
thalamus

Post by thalamus »

In addition (and correct me if I'm wrong) but MediaWiki as an integration restricts the usernames that would be available to the forum users, to Wiki names.

This integration allows for phpbb existing usernames into the Wiki, which if you're integrating into an existing phpbb system, makes things very much simpler.

I've had (after considerable tweaking I may add) no problems now in registered users of the forum from accessing and editing the integrated Wiki also as registered users.
wierdbeard65

Post by wierdbeard65 »

Cool - I'm going to look into this one for my site.

I was thinking of trying to integrate a wiki into phpBB myself - now I don't need to bother!

To respond to beggars - I'm setting up a departmental website for the school I teach at (I teach maths). I want a wiki and a Forum for different purposes, however I don't want my users to have to register twice. I also want to use my own theme and don't want to have to maintain 2!

I have a couple of questions:-

Do the wiki pages use the same template system as the forum ones?

Is the wiki data-entry page the same as the forum posting page?

Like I said, I want a consistent look and feel, but I also want to add a few bits and pieces (see my request for a Math Formula mod) so the more integrated and the less work I have to do, the better!!

Keep up the good work :wink:
Paul
broodle

Re: [BETA] Wiki integration MOD

Post by broodle »

yay! Finally a wiki/phpBB integration and not an attempt to redo the code within phpBB... I like the idea.

First, I cannot register on your English forum. The confirmation image does not show up...

Second, I understand that you chose Wikkawiki because it conforms to a lot of standards... but I think you must also consider that in terms of popular usage, Mediawiki would probably be your best choice. I know that you can't really go back on what you have started right now, but is there anyway you could consider offering support for Mediawiki or perhaps changing the code a little bit to support Mediawiki?
zorruno

Re: [BETA] Wiki integration MOD

Post by zorruno »

Is the code for this mod still available to be downloaded somewhere? I understand it may not fully work with the current version of wikkawiki, but it will at least be a start.

The original download link location does not seem to work (and the site that it links to is not in English so I am unable to search for the file).

Thanks to anyone who is able to help.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”