[MOD-DB] Topic Calendar 1.2.2 (regular edition)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Ptirhiik

[MOD-DB] Topic Calendar 1.2.2 (regular edition)

Post by Ptirhiik » Sat May 06, 2006 7:07 pm

Topic calendar adds a calendar to your phpBB. It is mainly based on topics.

This new version is a complete overall of TC 1.0.x version, and is designed for phpBB 2.0.21 (though it should probably be installable as is on previous versions). The installation has been drastically simplified, to avoid current comfusion encountered with the previous versions.

This version supports various users birthday mod (actually all the ones I'm aware of, except Niels' one, on purpose, so don't ask for :)), making the anniversary appears in the calendar. Read the "Author's note" of the mod install description on how activate this.

Some of the visible changes :
- a brand new scheduler view,
- dates - including the inputed ones - are suiting the users preferences (when available), or the lang preferences for short date (the one used to display a topic date),

Some of the backstage changes :
- though the topics events are still limit by the *NIX limitation (1970/2037), the calendar engine supports any date,
- the "drivers" approach has been enforced, allowing to create more view, or integrate other kind of events more easely.

There is no demo board of this specific version, but you will find a similar one (for the calendar views and the philosophy) designed for Categories Hierarchy, at the CH demo board.

The mod is available in two formats. The mod is now considered as stable.

:arrow: TC122: the regular mod format,
:arrow: TC122 installed: a full phpBB 2.0.21 with the mod installed onto, minus config.php : check the readme.txt to know how to use it.

Last actualization: 2006/07/06, 11h15 GMT

Last packaged (eg fixed) known bugs:
- fix: "All times are GMT ..." wrong value (see this post)
- fix : birthday of the last day of a month can appears on the first day of the next month (see this post)
- fix : auth are not correctly readed for topics events (see this post)
- behaviour change : birthdays become one day long events (see this post)
- fix : rules (can/cannot) are not correctly displayed in viewforum and viewtopic (see this post)
Last edited by Ptirhiik on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:41 am, edited 18 times in total.

tempered007

Post by tempered007 » Sat May 06, 2006 7:25 pm

the a full phpBB 2.0.20 with the mod installed onto!!!

Bless you!!
Bless you!!

ctcentralinfo

Post by ctcentralinfo » Sun May 07, 2006 11:29 pm

Cool Man.

*=Matt=*

Post by *=Matt=* » Sun May 07, 2006 11:57 pm

Thank you Ptirhiik looking forward to installing it :)

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx » Mon May 08, 2006 12:39 am

This is Intresting.

littleangelbean

calendar

Post by littleangelbean » Tue May 09, 2006 1:45 am

I am still clueless. Please have a littl epatience with new girl who has NO idea what all of this means...i just want a calendar on my playgroups site! HELP please!

Darezettl

Post by Darezettl » Tue May 09, 2006 7:03 am

Why don't you support Niels Bday mod????
it's the most popular out there.

I would use the new topic calendar, but not, if it does not support bday mod by Niels. :roll:
[...]

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Tue May 09, 2006 7:29 am

Because Niels' birthday mod is a very, very, very slow one. Maybe you - or someone else - will write the driver for - I won't for sure, but better is to migrate to another birthday mod.

cavallino

Post by cavallino » Tue May 09, 2006 9:31 am

as soon as this new calendar mod got out, I took my time to uninstall completely the Niels birthday mod along with its additions and tweaks and I installed the one by terrafrost !! All the work took me 1 hour and half...but it was worth it and since then.......it's been all another music!! :)
Also I had to uninstall the old topic calendar mod and installed this new one...(another almost 2 hours work :roll: ) but i'm satisfied with the result :)

my users understood so I did not care at all about loosing all their birthdates... they will insert it again :P

Thanks Ptirhiik for this new version, its great !

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Tue May 09, 2006 9:49 am

Thanks for the feed-back :).

Darezettl

Post by Darezettl » Tue May 09, 2006 11:07 am

There are some really good cache addons for niels bday mod out there, the best one (i also use it) is probaly amigalink's one ( http://amigalink.de/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... hter=cache ).

It speeds the mod dramatically up!

Please make your new topic calendar compatible to it! ;)
[...]

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Tue May 09, 2006 12:54 pm

No : it only prevent the mod to set down your server at each page, no more no less. Niels birthday mod has a fundamental flaw in it, the date format used, which forced to read from the database all users having a birthday value in order to retain through a php loop the only few which are concerned by the time frame considered. The caches doesn't prevent this, it only force this extraction to be done once per hour (what is not suffisiant btw considering some users are GMT +/-0.5 and 0.75). Using this mod is really a no-no by my side, especially since other exist : it would really be a lost of time. I really suggest you to move to ie the Terrafrost's one, and maybe to see if you can migrate your current birthday dates onto this much more database friendly format.

As I said in the first post : don't ask me about Niels' birthday mod adaptation : I won't write it, and not without reasons (those above). Feel free to write your own if you want, Topic Calendar is written with the ability to add easely other drivers in mind.

wingnut144

Post by wingnut144 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:18 pm

Is there a way to add the calendar functionality without having the 'select date' and 'select forum', or the whole 'select' box when the calendar option first runs?

I don't need those options........ :D

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Tue May 09, 2006 9:25 pm

> wingnut144 : not sure to understand what you are asking for : could you elaborate ?

wingnut144

Post by wingnut144 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:34 pm

I guess I'm looking to be able to load it without the categories hierarchy. I don't need that functionality, and don't need users to select which forum...... as far as I can tell.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”