[Alpha] Ajax Shoutbox

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
toma66

Re: [Alpha] Ajax Shoutbox

Post by toma66 »

Kinfule wrote:Well, I can finally be back, It might take some time to read the threads an be updated with requests and I hope to port my mods to PhpBB3 sooner or later.
Hi, nice to see you back. We have been waiting for you for a long long time :)
One of the biggest problems is when user has non-english letter in name (for example č), the shoutbox stops working for all users. Hope you can fix that first :)
Kinfule

Post by Kinfule »

I will check PhpBB3 and I might port the mod and then use the encoding functions from Olympus.
And I have to port some other mods also
My Mods:
Show Voters || Moderate Own Topics || Thanks Mod || Tibian Char BBcode || Tibian Guild BBCode
Working on:
Ajax Shoutbox
I don't support by PM
vanderwaal

Post by vanderwaal »

sure hope someone can help me. i've installed this shoutbox and it works great. i removed the "Who's chatting" box from the right side and put it in my "overall_header.tpl" also put the javascript in my header and it still works... on the chat page. on my other pages the box shows up but it always says there are no people chatting. i'm sure this is probably an easy fix but i can't figure it out. what i want is for the "Who's Chatting" box to be visable on all pages. is this even possible? maybe best to provide a link to the board so that you can see what i mean.

http://www.bayou92.com/forum/
houseplanet

Post by houseplanet »

Very good and useful mod. Thanx to author!
It works almost perfect >>> http://www.houseplanet.dj/forum/

Anyway I'm looking for few edits:

1. How to decrease date & time size?
2. How to decrease height of the shoutbox? I tried in shoutbox.php
$shoutbox_width = ( !$shoutbox_width ) ? 900 : intval($shoutbox_width);
$shoutbox_height = ( !$shoutbox_height ) ? 350 : intval($shoutbox_height);
But it appears not correctly when I decreased the height.
3. How to add smiles & colors to users?

Thanx for any helping!

Your,
http://www.HousePlanet.DJ
RamEEz

Post by RamEEz »

Kindly add the banning feature to stop someone from posting shouts.
ValorSolo

Post by ValorSolo »

I'd like to use this

Code: Select all

<table align="center">
<tr>
	<td>
		<br />
		{SHOUTBOX_BODY}
		<br /><br />
	</td>
	<td width="10px">
	&nbsp;
	</td>
	<td valign="top">
	<br />
			<table class="forumline" align="center" width="160">
				<tr>
					<th>{L_WIO}</th>
				</tr>
				<tr>
					<td class="row1"><span class="postbody" id="online_list"></span></td>
				</tr>
				<tr>
					<td class="row2" align="center">
						<span class="gensmall">
							{L_TOTAL}:<b><span id="total_c">0</span></b> {L_USERS}:<b><span id="user_c">0</span></b> {L_GUESTS}:<b><span id="guests_c">0</span></b><br>{L_SHOUTBOX_ONLINE_EXPLAIN}
						</span>
					</td>
				</tr>
			</table>
	</td>
</tr>
</table>
on the index page , instead of the

Code: Select all

<br />
		{SHOUTBOX_BODY}
		<br />
what code from chat.php do I place in index.php?

thanks for any help.
btw, great mod.
SKHOKHO

Post by SKHOKHO »

How do I make Ajax work on ma site ?
Its not installing.
vlajkoni

Post by vlajkoni »

Can someone pls explain it to me how can I set emoticons on shoutbox page? Shortcuts are working, but users don't know every shortcut for emoticons.

BTW, this mod is very useful.

Thanks in advance...
Vladimir
friky19

Post by friky19 »

Hi guys, this was probably answered, but i didnt see this thread was so long, and after reading thru page 4 i noticed all 68 pages :o . So my question and its probably been asked before, is how can i put the shoutbox onto the main index page in phpbb2.

Thanks
Paschal-lamb

Post by Paschal-lamb »

I have installed the shoutbox which seems to be working. However I have a problem with the way it is displayed. The elements of each line do not line up as they should and sometimes overlap. Also, every time a new line is added into the shoutbox the whole line is indented. I am using phpbb v3.0 and have installed version 1.0.2a of the shoutbox.

Could this be to do with my template, as I am using an added one called acidtech. I have a screenshot of the problem, but am unsure of how to make it available to this forum.

Thanks in advance for any help

P-l
Kinfule

Post by Kinfule »

This mod is for PhpBB2 not for PhpBB3 so I cant help you there :S
My Mods:
Show Voters || Moderate Own Topics || Thanks Mod || Tibian Char BBcode || Tibian Guild BBCode
Working on:
Ajax Shoutbox
I don't support by PM
noctar

Post by noctar »

Hello,

thank you for this great mod giving my rpg-forum new possibilities!

However, for low-bandwidth users, the rather high traffic caused by the shoutbox causes some problems: As I understand, each refresh the whole phpbb_shoutbox and phpbb_shoutbox_sessions tables seem to be transmitted. At a refresh rate of 1000 ms and a table size of several 100 kB, a rather good internet connection is required.

Decreasing the number of displayed shouts when the shoutbox is loaded does not help. I assume, nevertheless the whole shoutbox tables in the database are analysed in order to get the newest - let's say 25 - shouts?

Any chance to set something like "Only search in the newest 25 entries of the shoutbox tables", or any other idea?

Sorry if I understood anything wrong ...

Thanks again!
noctar

Post by noctar »

Hello,

I just checked if I can solve the "problem" described in my post some 30 min ago, and did the following: In chat.php and shoutbox.php, I changed

for($x = 0; $x < count($row); $x++)

to

for($x = count($row)-10; $x < count($row); $x++)

so only the last 10 shouts are displayed - not only when the shoutbox is loaded, but also during making shouts ... good idea?
However, the effect is not so big as I expected: Displaying only 10 shouts instead of 100 does not reduce the transmitted data by a factor of 10, only approx. 2 ?

A very good idea would be to allow each single user to set the "number of newest shouts" he/she wants to get displayed. So every user can decide which amount of traffic his internet connection can stand ...

Kind regards!
noctar

Big Traffic with Ajax Shoutbox, Reason

Post by noctar »

Hello,

following situation with my shoutbox (placed as a frame into index_body.tpl, if this matters):

* 100 shouts, resulting in a shoutbox table size of approx. 20 kB
* Only I watch the shoutbox (whole forum password-protected)
* no shouts being done

Nevertheless, each refresh (set to 6000 ms) causes a traffic of approx. 100 kByte (download) and approx. 25 kByte (sent). Not much for me, but much for low-bandwith users.

What exactly causes this traffic? Is reading out the shoutbox table such inefficient? No chance to update the shoutbox only when i) loaded or ii) new shouts have been done?
Any other ideas to reduce traffic (except decreasing the number of stored shouts, or increasing the refresh time, for certain reasons)?
I have a little bit experience with Javascript and php - not much, but enough for making some changes when I understand where and why something happens ...

Thanks!
baerenwurm

Post by baerenwurm »

Is it possible to allow moderators to delete shouts?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”