[Alpha] Ajax Shoutbox

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Firefox Zealot

Re: [Alpha] Ajax Shoutbox

Post by Firefox Zealot »

MrGibbonz wrote:Could anyone help me out please? I'm totally lost on this one. :cry:
Open index.php and find:

Code: Select all

include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/page_header.'.$phpEx);
after, add:

include($phpbb_root_path."includes/functions_shoutbox.".$phpEx);
find:

//
// Generate the page
//
after, add:

$shoutbox_template_parse = false;
include($phpbb_root_path."shoutbox.".$phpEx);
open index_body.tpl and add the following to where you want the shoutbox to appear:

<br />{SHOUTBOX_BODY}<br />
Edit: Corrected a mistake.
Last edited by Firefox Zealot on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I'm In Command Every Mission's A Suicide Mission!"
etiedon

Post by etiedon »

Anyone successed to make shoutbox body %100, not width and height by pixels, in percent ?

Thanks.
MarkDHamill

Ajax Shoutbox with Sound

Post by MarkDHamill »

I recently extended this mod to integrate sounds that occur when new chat messages are posted. It uses the SoundManager 2 Javascript library, which creates sounds essentially by calling Flash. You can select from a gallery of MP3 sounds and save your sounds settings (or disable sounds) using persistent cookies.

http://www.schillmania.com/projects/soundmanager2/

I have limited free time to package it and troubleshoot questions since I feel at the novice level when it comes to AJAX, but it seems to work correctly and can be demoed here. Please be nice and don't use too much of my bandwidth when trying it out.

http://www.potomactavern.org/reference/chat.php

If there is sufficient interest I will create a library with the integration.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. eBook and paper versions available.
Kaladar

Post by Kaladar »

Thanks for this, very nice. I manage to get it installed but it is not on the page I want, how do I change the page? Thanks.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I assume you mean you got SoundManager 2 installed. I haven't published my code for my additions to this mod yet.

Yeah, it took some experimenting to get SoundManager to work right. I placed the SoundManager software in a directory immediately off my phpBB root folder in a folder called soundmanagerv20. Then I had to change line 14 in soundmanager2.js to:

this.url = (smURL||'./soundmanagerv20/soundmanager2.swf');
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. eBook and paper versions available.
Kaladar

Post by Kaladar »

No sorry, I mean Shoutbox, it shows up on http://www.mydomain.com/index.php page but I want it to show up on http://www.mydomain.com/viewforum.php page .
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Oh sorry. I'm not as much of a help there. The .mod file says:

## To include the shoutbox to any php file just put where you want the shoutbox to appear:
## include($phpbb_root_path.'shoutbox.'.$phpEx);
## You can fix the width and height of the shoutbox putting it like this in your file:	
## $shoutbox_width = <your desired width>;
## $shoutbox_height = <your desired height>;
## include($phpbb_root_path.'shoutbox.'.$phpEx);
##
## Or if you would like to use an iframe to have the shoutbox in any html page use this to configure the dimension:
## <iframe src="www.dom.com/shoutbox.php?width=900&height=600" width="900" height="600"></iframe>
MarkDHamill

AJAX Shoutbox with Sounds

Post by MarkDHamill »

I have placed my version of this mod, which can play sounds when chat messages are posted, on my web site. Please send me email or PMs if you find errors in the installation or any bugs. Remember since it is based on this Alpha mod, this mod too has an Alpha status. Use with caution.

http://phpbb.potomactavern.org/ajax_shoutbox/index.html
diabolic.bg

Post by diabolic.bg »

Hi MarkDHamill !
In my board I already have installed ajax_shoutbox_0.1.6 without sound. How I can integrate soundmanager v20 ? How much and who files I must edit?

Can you give us an upgrade text, please!
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

The link will take you to the archive that you can download. I updated the existing .mod file to add the additional steps. The archive includes the SoundManager 2.0 files in it (which makes it a bit bulky, over 2 MB). So it should all be there. I installed it successfully on my test board last night.

Some instructions have changed, many are the same. You can compare the original .mod file with my .mod file if necessary.
diabolic.bg

Post by diabolic.bg »

Thanks for the quick answer! :D
Me has embarrassed this:
MOD Version: 0.1.5 (of Ajax Shoutbox) and 0.1 (of SoundManager 2.0 extension)
but after I see the truth - the mine install folder name is ajax_shoutbox_0.1.6 but inside is MOD Version: 0.1.5.

If I understand you right, I can "upgrade" my mod only with copy/paste and must edit only 8 files? But I think must be careful - I have many mods and I have changes in my board. :?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

If I were you I would first backup everything (this is an Alpha product) then install my version of the mod, overwriting any old files. Apply the changes in the .mod file. Some have likely already been made including the database changes. If you have the 0.1.5 mod file you could use a utility like WinMerge to see the exact changes.
diabolic.bg

Post by diabolic.bg »

Thanks a lot for the idea! :D It's great!
daddy

Post by daddy »

one thing i didn't found reading all the 66 pages of this thread:
is it possible to set the date near the user different from the acp one? How?

and then using this change:

find
newCell.innerHTML = newCell.innerHTML + '<br /><i class="postbody">' + liTime + '</i>';
Replace with
newCell.innerHTML = newCell.innerHTML + '<br /><i class="postbody"><font size=1>' + liTime + '</font></i>';

the font isn't small as i'd like, is there another part of the code to change? Thanks

i read everything
daddy

Post by daddy »

up :cry:

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”