[RC] ForumSpy

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
blackrat

[RC] ForumSpy

Post by blackrat » Mon May 15, 2006 5:34 pm

This mod is in submitted status, but maybe you want to discuss it here to find slight problems (I hope only these).

Credits:
ForumSpy was originally created by Mike Dogan, www.x-pressive.com.
It was copyrighted by him, but for free use, if copyright statement icluded.

Because he stopped the support and updates to this mod, I asked him if I may develp it further and he gave me the right to improve and add features to his mod, as long as
- I include his name and site in the credits: Mike Dogan, www.x-pressive.com, and
- it should be apparent, what chnages I made.
The original ForumSpy was never realesed here on phpbb.com and only known in German speaking countries, as far as I know.

There is also code of two other person I'd like to mention:
The code for the counter is based on a snippet posted by R4bbit and
the code for (optional support) for ShowBotsInOnlineList - Mod was posted by FatFreddy.

Download Version 3.0.1:
http://www.game-multimedia.com/tut/htm/index.html

Demo of the Online-Viewer: http://www.game-multimedia.com - Click on the logo in the left side menu
The online viewer is slightly different from the ForumSpy-Viewer, but the impression is similar.

Short Description:
The ForumSpy is a kind of mini browser to show a condensed version of your index page. The download pack consists of a viewer (exe file), a mod and a list of some Geman websites supporting ForumSpy.

Screenshots:

ForumSpy-Viewer

Here you can add/remove sites in the ForumSpy-Viewer

What is the ForumSpy?

The ForumSpy is a small and useful desktop-tool, with which you can see at any time, who is currently using your board, which contribution are mad (including preview) and more. Who doesn't want to spend the time to visit his/hers board every few minutes, can oboserve all the activities on the board at any time using the ForumSpy - even if you are currently using your broser to surf on other sites or haven't started your browser at all.

How does the ForumSpy work?

The Tool consists of two components: a Mod, which the admin has to upload to his server (simple uploading, nothing has to be changed in the board) and a Desktop Viewer, which the Admin can pass on to its members. The Viewer is a simple .exe file (no installation necessarily), which displays all information on the user's desktop.

How secure is the ForumSpy?

So that anybody can use the ForumSpy on a certain board, the admin of this board has at first to uplaod the mod to his website - Nobody can use the ForumSpy, to get information about a bord, if the admin of this board doesn't want it. if the Admin did not like that at all. The ForumSpy actually doesn't show any 'secret' information, but all those information, your user can see on the index page of your board - only in a more comfortably way and without having to access up your site each time with a browser.

In addition no data will be transfered to the user. The Viewer is only a kind of mini browser, which displays the forumspy.php on your server. That is approximately exactly the same, as if someone would watch the index page of your board in a standard browser, no more, not less.

Can the ForumSpy be configuered?

Everything that can be seen in the Viewer on the desktop, can be configureed by the admin, by changing the images and style sheets in the 'forumspy'-folder on your server. Thus you can adapt the design to that of your board. If you open the file forumspy.php, there are still some further possibilities, so e.g. whether you want to show also the number of your members (deactivated as default) or to display a posting preview.

In Addition, the Viewer contains a small manager, with which you may add ForumSpy boards, and you can then easily switch from one ForumSpy board to another at your will.

The improvements I incorporated:
- added date to the time showing,
- added 'Yesterday' and colours for 'Today' and 'Yesterday',
- improved javascript code to get tooltips on Firefox working,
- changed time from local sever time to GMT, whith possiblity for timezone setting,
- added tooltip 'Show Profile',
- some recoding for an improved code,
- and as mention before, the codes posted by R4bbit for the refreshing counter and by FatFreddy for showing bots online, if ShowBotsInOnlineList-Mod is installed.
Last edited by blackrat on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blackrat

My board:
www.game-multimedia.com

beggers

Post by beggers » Mon May 15, 2006 9:32 pm

When I clicked on your demo logo, Norton reported a virus on the .exe file and stopped me from running it.

Kalipo

Post by Kalipo » Tue May 16, 2006 5:35 am

AVG says it's clean.

I've already fixed it to fit my theme...works great.

blackrat

Post by blackrat » Tue May 16, 2006 9:18 am

beggers wrote: When I clicked on your demo logo, Norton reported a virus on the .exe file and stopped me from running it.

The demo logo in the left side menu doesn't contain any exe file.

I think you clicked on the logo in the body part of the intro page on my site, to download the Viewer. I didn't change the exe file (viewer). It is completely original form Mike Dogan. It never reported to me a virus, using AntiVir software.
blackrat

My board:
www.game-multimedia.com

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever » Wed May 17, 2006 3:41 am

What happens if anyone just use this program to access any phpBB forum site? Is there a security password to access a forum using this program?

blackrat

Post by blackrat » Wed May 17, 2006 5:45 pm

yexusbeliever wrote: What happens if anyone just use this program to access any phpBB forum site? Is there a security password to access a forum using this program?

ForumSpy doesn't show posts in hidden forums. Thus he has not and needs no password interface.

You can access (not hidden) forums by the links from ForumSpy, but this doesn't rule out any needed login (e.g. for posting, when set to registered members).
blackrat

My board:
www.game-multimedia.com

Vrykolas

Post by Vrykolas » Fri May 26, 2006 12:10 pm

There are settings inside forumspy.php that allow the display of hidden forums, but they have to be explicitly enabled by the forum administrator.

But on to a feature request:

I want to enable my users to be able to see the hidden forums they would normally see if they were logged in - are there any plans to integrate to the phpbb login system and display the forums the user has authorisation to view without having to set things up to allow all users to view everything?

blackrat

Post by blackrat » Fri May 26, 2006 2:31 pm

Thanks Vrykolas for this interesting question:

My tests are to short, but maybe it's working, when the user has activated automatically log in.

It would be nearly impossible to add a login interface to the ForumSpy viewer. The original programmer won't have the time to reprogram (I think) and I won't be able to do this (and don't have source code and rights).
blackrat

My board:
www.game-multimedia.com

Vrykolas

Post by Vrykolas » Sat May 27, 2006 9:18 am

Sadly it doesn't seem to work in this manner, though I'll take some time to go over the php source and confirm this

Whilst it would be impossible to recode the viewer program because of the reasons you stated it may be possible to do this server-side through aditional code in forumspy.php as all the viewer is is a front-end to an embedded internet explorer control - again I'll investigate this and see what I can come up with - and if it is the case then it would be feasable to add a config for the viewer to the Admin panel of phpbb itself....

the other side of this being implemented would mean that users using forumspy would show up as being online - a side effect I personally would prefer but obviously not everyone will want this and would be difficult to prevent....

dcz

Post by dcz » Sat May 27, 2006 9:33 am

very nice ;)

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS

aeiouy

Post by aeiouy » Wed May 31, 2006 9:10 pm

Thank you so much for this. I have many forums and wanted a way to get a quick thumbnail of what is going on.

One thing I have been trying to accomplish, without much luck, is restricting some forums from being displayed in the most recent message counters. I have some rss feeds that dump in and on a normal check they are the only listings that show up.

I would like to exclude certain forums from showing up there.

I was not able to figure out an easy way to accomplish it, so if you have any suggestions it would be a big help.

Thanks again for improving this.

duanne

Post by duanne » Wed May 31, 2006 9:20 pm

ummmm i seem to have a error can someone check this out for me and maybe tell me what my problem something about a syntax error maybe?n link is http://www.youcanhavethis.com/bbs/forumspy.php

blackrat

Update vers. 3.0.1

Post by blackrat » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:58 pm

I updated to vers. 3.0.1 which is a minor update (some code cleaning).

I see the problems Vrykolas and aeiouy have.
Dunno know if i have time and knwledge to incorporate them.
blackrat

My board:
www.game-multimedia.com

ChaosBringer

Post by ChaosBringer » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:27 pm

what language is the exe written in?

01000001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 01110010 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110101 01110011 00100001

MitchSchaft

Post by MitchSchaft » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:38 am

Just wanted to bump for a cool little widget.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”