[ALPHA] User created forums

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
DJ P@CkMaN

[ALPHA] User created forums

Post by DJ P@CkMaN » Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:43 am

Hey all,

I little while ago I was looking for a mod that allowed users to create their own forums for their gaming clans or whatnot but there wasn't one around so I decided to write one. Here is the ALPHA version with hardly any options but it works 100% I think.

All you need to do is extract the files into your phpBB directory and if you want, edit overall_header.tpl to create a link to the file.

The mod check to make sure that the user is a member before it will let them create a forum but I wouldn't recomment it used on a board yet as I HAVE NO YET LIMITED THE NUMBER OF FORUMS A USER CAN CREATE!

All you need to do to install it is to extract the files and edit some of the SQL in addforum.php to define which Catagory you want the forum to be created in.

A working demo can be found at http://djclan.auscstrike.com but PLEASE, no spam forums, just simply test the script ONLY IF YOU MUST, and I will delete the excess forums later.

Here are the files -

http://djclan.auscstrike.com/addforum.zip (4KB)

EDIT: Works fine now (hopefully)
7-9-2002 : User can now specify permissions for their forum.
Last edited by DJ P@CkMaN on Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

DJ P@CkMaN

Post by DJ P@CkMaN » Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:51 am

OK, the page appears to be screwed with my site but that's because the Mod was developed user subSilver as is required but my site uses a very different theme so... :roll:

It looks normal with subSilver and if anyone would like to host a demo site for me with subSilver it would be greatly appreciated :wink:

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:00 am

nice one. just about to download and have a play with it. the demo seems to work well.
Defend the game:

AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:21 am

nice job dude! I would say the only addition to this MOD would be a way to let the 'site admin' define the permissions. I saw you had it hard-coded, but the average person isn't gonna know what the values are for that. .... heck, I hardly remember what they are.... This is the only feature I think it needs, other than your supplied 'limit per user'... oh, maybe a 'limit per category'...... ok, that was two suggestions.... sorry. hehe, my first one for sure! :mrgreen:

DJ P@CkMaN

Post by DJ P@CkMaN » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:44 am

Yeah, I plan to add those things in and I have a few little extras that I'm thinking of including once I figure out how :)

Also, that one is a dud because it doesn't correctly make the creator moderator of their forum but we think we have that under control and I should update the files soon.

hijacker

Post by hijacker » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:57 am

Nice mod DJ P@CkMaN. Who knows when it might come in handy... Keep up developing it.

If you need help you know how to reach me ;).
Last edited by hijacker on Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJ P@CkMaN

Post by DJ P@CkMaN » Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:47 am

Hmmmm, how do I speak to you again?? :lol:

j/k :wink:

As you may have noticed in the comments at the top of addforum.php, Hijacker has been helping me quite a bit with this mod 8)

nexialys

Post by nexialys » Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:23 am

...before installing it... is this possible to install this mod and control WHERE we can add forums userly ?! <<-- hey, a new word, "userly"... lol

i'd like to give the opportunity to my users to create their own forums but in a single category... and as we can't apply category permissions for now, i'd like to know if we can set this in your script ?!

this is great job btw..!!!
-=nexia=-

i'm not god, i'm a nexialist... god is perfect.. i try to make it weak.

RMS

Post by RMS » Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:03 am

Hmm, well I don't have any particular need for this but it sounds pretty nice. However, would it be possible to make it so that there's a setting based upon post of who you can open it up for? Like there can be a post per user ability setting. You can set your own divisions, for how many users can be allowed access to a particular forum depending on the post count. It seems to me that there really wouldn't be any need for anyone to have any more than one private forum, because if they have people they want to talk with anyway, those other people can create more forums already. So, then for example, someone with 20+ posts can create a forum, but it would only be accessible by up to 3 others people at a time by a list where they can enter the name of the users they want to be able to access it. Then something like 50+ posts allows the forum to be able to have up to 10 users. Each of these forums would be private so far, so only the allowed users and the admins/mods would be able to even see it listed. Then from between the last division set, in this case 50 to another division set of 200+ posts would allow for it to become public to whosoever wants to use it. THen it would allow for as many divisions as the admin wants, and at what post requirements they desire as well.
I'm not sure if it can be managed, but I think something like that would be really nice to be able to do :)
This is my signature.

DJ P@CkMaN

Post by DJ P@CkMaN » Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:50 am

nexialys: I haven't yet created an page for this Mod in the phpBB Admin Panel but trust me, it's on my To Do list :wink:

In the mean time however you can set which catagory that users forums are created in by opening addforum.php and editing to SQL on line 151. In the SQL ($sql), it will have cat_id=1, change that to the ID of the catagory you wish to forums to go to. You can find that by moving your mouse over the catagory link on the phpBB index page and it will have something like index.php?c=x. x is the catagory ID.

RMS: That is actually a great idea but I have no idea how I would do something like that :P I will have a look but if something like that is added, unfortunately, it will be a fair way away :(

EVERYONE: I have added a feature so that the user creating the forums can choose permissions for it. I have limited the options to ALL, REG and MOD.

Here is a screenshot because it looks crappy under the theme on my forums.

DJ P@CkMaN

Post by DJ P@CkMaN » Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:19 am

I am currently working on an Admin Panel for the mod and that should be included in the ZIP by the end of next week.

scoobie

Post by scoobie » Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:26 pm

This is a great idea - is it possibly to be integrated with the usergroups and permissions for a 'user created forum' to be automatically selected to private (hidden) - the user then has to get people to join their usergroup to be able to view his/her forum.

I envision literally hundreds of public forums if this got onto the wrong site but if it created the new forum as part of a new usergroup then only the creator of the new forum and his 'guests' will be able to see the new forum.

And look in the database to see if the user has already got a usergroup - if so then he/she cannot create a second usergroup/user forum.

Hope you get my drift - excellent work though.

Scoob
You can have it all if you like... but you can pay for it the rest of your life.

DJ P@CkMaN

Post by DJ P@CkMaN » Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:20 am

Hey, thats a really good idea! :D

scoobie

Post by scoobie » Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:40 pm

thanks

is it possible?
It would be a fantastic MOD if it could be done
You can have it all if you like... but you can pay for it the rest of your life.

DJ P@CkMaN

Post by DJ P@CkMaN » Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:08 am

Of course it is possible.

When I get time to do that, I will put two addforum.php files in the ZIP, one that is original, and one for scoobies idea because I really like it! :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”