[BETA] SMS Intregation

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:29 pm

checked all those versions, they all should be fine...
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

Wroey

Post by Wroey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:58 am

Hi,

Eventually the problem of connection was solved. I asked my hosting service to check the port that the API requires. It had been closed by them after my one and only successful send.

They have now reopened and I was able to send sms successfully.

Thanks for your time in investigating this.

Now then, having sent that sms I find that the user credits did not decrement. I mentioned this before but because I had granted credits via admin you suggested that the credit counter would not decrement. This is counter-intuitive, but because of the port issue I could not test.

Anyway, I cancelled the admin credits and started again with paid credits, and sent a test sms, and it did not reduce the credit count!

This is going to prove expensive because to test I have to send paid for texts provided by ClickSMS. However, I do want to help getting this Mod from beta to RC and will persevere.

Could you please have a look at the decrement issue. Many thanks.

PS: I will post a number of questions shortly with regard to the Mod as it is undocumented at the moment.

Thanks again.

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:57 am

doulee sorry :!:
Last edited by christhatsme on Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:58 am

correction, i said if you are admin, you don't need credits, and they don't go down, test it without being admin user level :wink:

I can assure you it works, i have to exact version here, installed, and I sent an SMS as a normal user, and the credits were reduced.

Wroey

Post by Wroey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:04 am

christhatsme wrote: correction, i said if you are admin, you don't need credits, and they don't go down, test it without being admin user level :wink:

I can assure you it works, i have to exact version here, installed, and I sent an SMS as a normal user, and the credits were reduced.

Will do. Thanks.

Wroey

Post by Wroey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:06 am

Wroey's Enhancement Path removed by edit 07/06/2006.

Will announce progress via new Mod subject to professional development.
Last edited by Wroey on Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wroey

Post by Wroey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:22 pm

Wroey wrote:
christhatsme wrote:correction, i said if you are admin, you don't need credits, and they don't go down, test it without being admin user level :wink:

Will do. Thanks.

Have had another user send from their account and though the SMS was sent, their account balance did not decrement. Will have another look at the install.txt and see if I have made any errors.

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:13 pm

Wroey wrote: Are you sitting comfortably? :wink:

Can you tell me about the List Feature. I surmise the following:

1/ User creates a list which he gives a name.
2/ He then invites a fellow user to “subscribe/join” his list (as an anti-spam measure) via PM etc.
3/ This is the crucial bit: Is the list of members intended as a mini-phone book from which the owner can pick whom he wants to send a single sms to, OR is it a list to which the same sms will be sent to all members of the list?

If it is the latter on (3) then one early enhancement request is to facilitate a mini-phonebook feature.

I can see the merit of having what I would call a “broadcast” group, but would tend to think this is an admin function.

I have the following suggestions:

4/ Admin able to create a broadcast group(s) which members opt to join. Then when admin sends an SMS to the group, it costs each member of the group a credit from their own account. They don’t receive the message if they are not in credit.

This would be used say for sports news updates

5/ Multi-Tariff option so that the user can buy standard texts at a certain rate, for own use, then buys other, dearer, credits of the, say Sports News group. You can see what I am driving at here, a sort of premium rate service.

6/ Integration with standard permissions set up on PHPBB2, and Usergroups too. As a minimum, only REG users able to access SMS features.

I see (6) as very important before adding the SMS link to the forum nav-bar.

7/ Scheduled sends to groups or single user (will probably depemd on the API)

8/ Send to single mobile number option not members of forum.
I guess it will need the input of all those Mod developers out there to get hold of all this enhancement requests.

9/ Min/Max credits purchase even a max credits limit. You don't want someone with 100's of credits in balance only for ClickSMS to pull the plug on you and you have to refund the member.

Cheers.

lists 1) you make the list
2) the user joins it that simple - it sends to the whole group.

I made this for my own use, its more work me letting it to the public, I made it like this on purpose - you can always turn lists off for users via ACP

4) that is possible
5) possible, not sure i will implement it for a while
6) adding the link isn't that hard, you could do that yourself. - i don't as not that many styles are the same.
7) this is possible - good idea
8) extremly easy, but why not just use a phone?
9) chances are they won't, if they do, you refund them - but i won't make this as its a small chance

next post:

I can assure you it does deincrement, i'm doing it right now on my forum.

Wroey

Post by Wroey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:33 pm

I think a minimum purchase is required so that your PayPal costs are covered. Don't PayPal charge 20p a transaction plus 3% or something like that?

So if someone decided to buy 3 texts at 9p = 27p, less 20p to PayPal, you get 7p, but you bought 3 texts from ClickSMS at 6p = 18p, you have made a loss of 11p.

With the decrement my other user had Moderator status so I thought this might be the problem with not decrementing for sent messages. I changed her to Normal user and still it won't decrement.

I am going to create a standard user from scratch and see what happens then. But everyone of these tests costs real money! Ouch!

Thanks for putting your personal project up for others to share. You have made a rod for your own back though as when more people catch on to this Mod they will be wanting your help.

I could probably sort out the link to the SMS module and will have a go, I was thinking more about those who come after me and download your package then ask you the same question all over again.

It's part of getting from Beta to Alpha! :wink:

Cheers.

Wroey

Post by Wroey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:32 pm

Well, I created a standard user. Logging in as him I set up a list which I joined.

I bought 10 credits. As new user I sent 1 text to a single user, and I sent one text to the list (which had one member).

After both sends the credit count for new user was the same as he started with, that is 10 credits.

All of the transactions seem to be dealt with by sms.php, so it seems logical to look here:

You have this:

Code: Select all

if ( $userdata['user_level'] != ADMIN )
			{
				  $sql = "UPDATE " . USERS_TABLE . " SET sms_credits = sms_credits - 1 WHERE user_id = " . $userdata['user_id'];
and:

Code: Select all

if ( $userdata['user_level'] != ADMIN )
			{
				  $sql = "UPDATE " . USERS_TABLE . " SET sms_credits = sms_credits - " . $list_members . " WHERE user_id = " . $userdata['user_id'];
Two instances where I can see one decrements and the other does not, but both if user is ADMIN, but what about non-ADMIN!. Now I am not a programmer, if anything I am a tweaker, but even I can see that there is nowhere else in this file which seeks to reduce the credit count.

One line is saying "- 1" the other is saying "- " ie nothing!!

So if it is working for you then your sms.php is different to the download version.

I don't know how to express in code "if not Admin, then apply decrement".

If there is anyone out there who can help I would appreciate if you would! :oops:

Sorry if I am on the wrong track.

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:21 pm

that code says if the user is not admin hense !=

the sql statement (second one) has " . $list_members . " therefore, it deincrements, the value of that variable.

That code is perfectly valid.

If you change that, your not achieving anything...

Wroey

Post by Wroey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:44 pm

As I said, I am not a coder but it is saying minus nothing isn't it?

Will PM you to request your working copy of the sms.php file.

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:19 pm

thats not 0, $list_members = amount of list members.

the one in download is one i have got, said that ages ago.

Wroey

Post by Wroey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:56 pm

You are incredibly helpful (not). Are you sure you don't want to drop this Mod? Surely there is a protocol for those who submit Mods to this board which commits them to offering support.

You hadn't the faintest idea about the port issue which is likely to affect the majority of hosted forums. I had to go to Click SMS for help. Your response seems to be, it works for me so what!

This relegates this so-called Mod to nothing but a Hack. Shape up buddy or bow out, after all it works for you so what do you care?

I just don't think you are temperamentally suited to interact with users. Try something else as your attitude sucks!

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:42 pm

well you were talking about url encode not connection error - really can't help if you don't give me info.

and no, i don't have to give support. If you don't like it, don't use it.

I have a full time job, and am extremly busy without giving support here.

And actually if you had said you were getting a connection error, it would be the first thing I would ask.

I was stating tfact, that code works, I have tested it.

hack and mod is the same thing.

My attitude doesn't suck, and forget support now, second time today someone seaking support has been damn rude.

I can interact with users, i'm interacting now.

There really isn't much i can do, that code is working, end of.

If you don't like my MOD or my attitude, piss off and find something else, I really don't need people like you.

EDIT

I am thinking of abandoning this MOD thanks to you, and I will be changing the license and all, no one will take it over, as they will obviously get the same lack of apreciation. I have tried to help, I have better things to do that help ungreatful people like you, who think they know it all.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”